What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bite or No Bite - that is the question

Did Proctor bite Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Can’t tell

Votes: 20 20.8%

• Total voters

Frailty

First Grade
I dare say the Bunker got involved. Fox Sports were reporting on TV last night that when Perenara was first discussing it, and before he could ask Johnson if he wanted to lodge a formal complaint, the Bunker told Perenara it was a bite and Proctor should go. If that is correct, then its the Bunker that changed the expeced process.

But the Bunker is allowed to be involved under the NRL rules. The official complaint process is from a time where we didn't have cameras all around the ground, but now we have live and clear video.

As for whether it should be a send off - I'd argue that biting should be an automatic send off because it has absolutely zero place in the game.

no name

Coach
But the Bunker is allowed to be involved under the NRL rules. The official complaint process is from a time where we didn't have cameras all around the ground, but now we have live and clear video.

As for whether it should be a send off - I'd argue that biting should be an automatic send off because it has absolutely zero place in the game.
It took hours of evidence and 8 minutes for the judiciary to find Proctor guilty and there are still people who don’t believe he bit him.
Why not just do away with the judiciary as the Bunker knew he bit him in 90 seconds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Got no problem with any of it tbh. If cameras catch it then they should inform the ref, same as any other foul play scenario. Automatic red if seen doing it, its a low grubby act.
If found guilty then a more minor end of the scale offence like this one which is more instinctive than malicious 4 weeks about right. Bad one that is malicious 12-16 weeks.

Everyone got this one right imo.

Eion

First Grade
Got no problem with any of it tbh. If cameras catch it then they should inform the ref, same as any other foul play scenario. Automatic red if seen doing it, its a low grubby act.
If found guilty then a more minor end of the scale offence like this one which is more instinctive than malicious 4 weeks about right. Bad one that is malicious 12-16 weeks.

Everyone got this one right imo.
Really not sure what people are carrying on about either

you forgot Bromwich not guilty using same defence as proctor.

As for this incident, why was Johnson not also penalised? Some decently strong force to the face and possible to do neck damage with that sort of rubbish

I quoted that off the NRL website so yeah some others may have slipped through the net like that

Eion

First Grade
you forgot Bromwich not guilty using same defence as proctor.

As for this incident, why was Johnson not also penalised? Some decently strong force to the face and possible to do neck damage with that sort of rubbish
Neck damage? SJ didn't even manage to bend proctors head back.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

If the bunker thinks incidents like that should be an automatic send off, why not for head high tackles like in the Manly game recently?

I didn't agree with the send off, based on what we've seen recently, so if the NRL states that the bunker has the power to determine a dangerous tackle or dangerous incident, it has to be consistent.

Exsilium

First Grade
Debating consistency in the NRL, especially with variables such as the MRC and the Bunker, is pointless.

Frailty

First Grade
If the bunker thinks incidents like that should be an automatic send off, why not for head high tackles like in the Manly game recently?

I didn't agree with the send off, based on what we've seen recently, so if the NRL states that the bunker has the power to determine a dangerous tackle or dangerous incident, it has to be consistent.

I don't think the NRL uses the send off enough, and personally that tackle from Hetherington on Tapau should have been a send off. There was no attempt at a legal tackle.

Why do I think biting should be a send off? Because there is literally no reason for it in the game. High tackles happen, and some go wrong. But the act of tackling is legal. There is no 'legal biting'.

Chimp

Bench
I never understand how a tackle can be worth 2 or 3 weeks (or more) on the sidleline, but not worth a send off?

Any situation where a player is banned for more than 1 game suggests it was bad enough to be sent off - so the ref should be held to account for having no bottle or missing serious foul play.

Glen

Bench
I just figured they saw the clear bite on the replay and sent him off for biting. I really don’t understand why some people think the footage isn’t clear enough.

Johnson obviously alerted them to it in the first place but if the footage is clear enough I doubt they need the formal complaint confirmed on the field

Aragorn

First Grade
It was such a rubbish tackle from Johnson to begin with

Arms all over his face . Lying on top and smothering him

Why is no discussing it as a bad grapple tackle ?

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-20_3-14-44.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-20_3-14-44.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 4

BunniesMan

Immortal
Blokes running around in an NRL game need their mouth to breath. You have every right to open it and if someone puts their arm on your mouth that does not automatically make it a bite.

I thought we still lived in a society that does not assume guilt. There is more than enough doubt in that footage and it is a disgrace that he has lost 4 weeks over this.