What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BJ Leilua

mayfieldtiger

Juniors
Sounds like sour grapes to me. If a player is not on the run on side due to form so be it , work harder and get back in and keep yourself there not have a hissy fit and say im leaving. Its a competive sport sometimes you have to accept a better player might come along.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. If a player is not on the run on side due to form so be it , work harder and get back in and keep yourself there not have a hissy fit and say im leaving. Its a competive sport sometimes you have to accept a better player might come along.

If the rumours are true, I can't say I blame him. He played out of his skin last year while other players underperformed and were retained without question, and after a handful of bad games this year he has been dropped back to the bench, while half the side has been dreadful and once again no one has been dropped or relegated to the bench.

Having said that he looked a lot better on Sunday against the Panthers, maybe the threat of losing his spot has re-ignited the fire in the belly.

If the rumours are true, I can't say I blame him. He played out of his skin last year while other players underperformed and were retained without question, and after a handful of bad games this year he has been dropped back to the bench, while half the side has been dreadful and once again no one has been dropped or relegated to the bench.

Having said that he looked a lot better on Sunday against the Panthers, maybe the threat of losing his spot has re-ignited the fire in the belly.
It's wasn't just 'a handful of bad games'. He was absolutely woeful and was lucky to even be on the bench. Lawrence has been equally woeful but is the current test centre and has more runs on the board.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Blake Ayshford would be trying very hard to earn his starting position. He does not appear to be egotistical and perhaps his form slump can be attributed to fatherhood. Rumours of discontent always surface when a team is not performing well.

It's wasn't just 'a handful of bad games'. He was absolutely woeful and was lucky to even be on the bench. Lawrence has been equally woeful but is the current test centre and has more runs on the board.

Of course Blake has been terrible, but why should anyone else get special dispensation? Ayshford had a great year last year as well, so I'd be inclined to say he has runs on the board also. Lawrence is not the current Test centre, otherwise he'd be playing in Green & Gold this weekend instead of a paddock in Mudgee.

Moltzen took 4/5th's of last season to get right and he was a passenger for just about that entire period, in which some games he was worse than hopeless. Ayshford was horrible in 5 games and gets relegated to the bench. Benji's mate gets an entire season to play into form, based on his performances two years prior, and Ayshford gets five weeks despite a good showing the season previous and gets the axe?

That's out and out bullshit.

Of course Blake has been terrible, but why should anyone else get special dispensation? Ayshford had a great year last year as well, so I'd be inclined to say he has runs on the board also. Lawrence is not the current Test centre, otherwise he'd be playing in Green & Gold this weekend instead of a paddock in Mudgee.

Moltzen took 4/5th's of last season to get right and he was a passenger for just about that entire period, in which some games he was worse than hopeless. Ayshford was horrible in 5 games and gets relegated to the bench. Benji's mate gets an entire season to play into form, based on his performances two years prior, and Ayshford gets five weeks despite a good showing the season previous and gets the axe?

That's out and out bullshit.
Lawrence has had five great seasons.
Ayshford has had one.
I'd say Lawrence has some extra runs on the board.

And, yes, until this week/tomorrow night Lawrence is/was the incumbent test centre.

I would disagree about runs on the board

If you think both of these guys bring the same thing to the table you're kidding. Ayshford has had one very good season. Lawrence has been doing it since he was 18 to the point of test honours.

What he's achieved with the Tigers over five or so years carries a lot more weight than what Ayshford can when it comes to selection and who's got the runs on the board should one of them be dropped.

Lawrence has had five great seasons.
Ayshford has had one.
I'd say Lawrence has some extra runs on the board.

And, yes, until this week/tomorrow night Lawrence is/was the incumbent test centre.

A technicality... :roll: I'm not here to argue sematics...

In any case, Lawrence isn't the point of my original post. I hardly think it's fair that Sheens never drops players irrespective of form, and then drops ONE player when the a lot of the side has been woeful.

Blake has shown considerable improvement against Penrith (and I agree it's not hard to improve on woeful performances,) so I hope the trend continues and he'll be back to his best very soon.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I'm never one to defend Sheens but Ayshford has been woeful and deserved to be dropped. I agree that others have probably deserved the be dropped and haven't, but that doesn't change Ayshford.

He has had one good season and after a few good games people talked about him as a potential Origin player. He's never been anything more than a decent first grader.

IIRC, Sheens dropped him in 2010 and he came back a much better player, maybe the same will happen again?

I'm never one to defend Sheens but Ayshford has been woeful and deserved to be dropped. I agree that others have probably deserved the be dropped and haven't, but that doesn't change Ayshford.

He has had one good season and after a few good games people talked about him as a potential Origin player. He's never been anything more than a decent first grader.

IIRC, Sheens dropped him in 2010 and he came back a much better player, maybe the same will happen again?

Did he drop him though? I thought the threat was there, but he never carried through with it?

People are reading what they want to read. I've already said that he was terrible to start the year and deserved benching, but it's hardly fair when others have been as bad and have been retained. I'm not debating how bad he's been playing, I'm insinuating that he's been made a scapegoat and hard done by, and I don't blame him for feeling that way.

Christ, for all we know he might be getting up twice a night helping his missus with their kid.

Anyway, I'm not going to debate the point further, obviously people don't agree with me, or choose to read what they want to read out of what I've said...

super_coach

First Grade
Aysford and Lawrence are playing busted because all the usual structures are out the window.In days gone by they were steaming onto quick early ball with daylight or a retreating defense to beat, this year they are getting slow ball in traffic. Same in defense, plenty of inside tackles are been missed making it that much harder for the boys out wide.

They are not without blame, but when two very good players are playing busted you have to look for reasons

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
He's very good. Still only 20 and he's got a lot of improvement still ahead of him.

Sheens will f**k him up though.

I'd love him back at the Dragons.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Did he drop him though? I thought the threat was there, but he never carried through with it?

People are reading what they want to read. I've already said that he was terrible to start the year and deserved benching, but it's hardly fair when others have been as bad and have been retained. I'm not debating how bad he's been playing, I'm insinuating that he's been made a scapegoat and hard done by, and I don't blame him for feeling that way.

Christ, for all we know he might be getting up twice a night helping his missus with their kid.

Anyway, I'm not going to debate the point further, obviously people don't agree with me, or choose to read what they want to read out of what I've said...

Pretty sure he was dropped for one game or so, can someone confirm?

I tend to agree with what you're saying about him being dropped before others, but if he is going to have a sook about it that's not going to help. Anyway, he looked better against Penrith so perhaps he will start to hit some form soon and demand to be back in the starting line up.