What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blair using his head

drago brelli

Bench
Come on there was no need for Sam to tackle him like that. He had just lost his temper, the guy was already on the deck there was no need to body slam him even if there's no rules against it. I was happy with penalty just because it was a merkin move. That's from a pommy Souths fan as well.

There is a rule against this type of action.....that's why he was penalised.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Defiantly unintentional, Adam was dropping and he was wrapping the arms. Still should get a week just to teach him a lesson. What burgess did was much worse though but I'm biased

All Sam Burgess did was use excessive force, he was entitled to tackle him. Adam Blair looked very guilty (his expression), but it was almost impossible to tell what the contact was with - head/shoulder/arm. I'll reserve my judgement until someone shows it slowed down to clarify the contact.

It could be interesting with the Aus v NZ test 2 weeks away. There's normally a controversy involving a judiciary hearing, a bit like the lead-up to the grand final seems to throw up a controversy regularly.

Spot On

Coach
Very similar to Pauli Pauli last week v Brisbane. Consistency at the judiciary means he gets a week.

What the feck am I saying, he'll be free to play.:crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is this rugby league we're talking about? Excessive force, dog act for tackling a player as hard as you can, should have not taken an opportunity to put a shot on.
Deary me.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Man I wish refs would use the sin bin more, case in point last night when Blair cheap shotted Reynolds, in rugby that is a card every day of the week. While I'm not the biggest fan of union at least there refs have absolute authority (most of the time), and will not hesitate to use a card. What I would give for Nigel Owens to take Tony Archers job.

Pommy

Coach
There is a rule against this type of action.....that's why he was penalised.

It seems I was wrong there's an ambiguous rule about excessive force which is hard to gauge. I still say that he shouldn't have done it as it was totally uncalled for.

Glen

Bench
The Burgess shot shouldn't really be illegal. If it is about excessive force then you could technically open that interpretation to any big hit, which is ridiculous. It was definitely a grubby, cheap shot though. There was an almost identical tackle in the Newcastle game the week prior.

Has anyone seen a penalty for a voluntary tackle in the last decade? I can't remember any but players still throw their hands in the air every time as if the ref will blow a penalty. If that's still a rule maybe it needs an update if no one will enforce it.

As for Blair, it was a pretty bad shot and typical for a grub like him. Deserves a few weeks but they will probably decide it is on par with politely tapping the referee on the shoulder

axl rose

Bench
Intentional. Should be gone for a while. 4 weeks at least. Probably get away with an early guilty 60 points and a slap on the wrist..

Considering they take into account the opponents injury when suspending players(thier words not mine) minimum 10. But the NRL are scared shitless of Uncle Benny, so maybe a 1 week.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
Initially I thought there was a fair bit of shoulder that made initial contact with Reynolds jaw.

Hard to say, as there is little footage that clearly shows the "tackle".

blaza88z

Coach
Initially I thought there was a fair bit of shoulder that made initial contact with Reynolds jaw.

Hard to say, as there is little footage that clearly shows the "tackle".

of course you did, an accidental headclash would get in the way of your clear anti-bronco mentality

Chook Norris

First Grade
Copying my deleted post into this thread again with a link this time: http://www.playnrl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/International-Laws-of-the-Game1.pdf

--

I'm amazed no one on here has referenced the specific section(s) of the rule book to check the Burgess tackle's legality - because I can't find shit on it.

The referee used the terms "unnecessary contact" and there is no reference to such in the rule book.

The closest thing I can find that might explain Maxwell's ruling is:
Sandbagging/flopping
The Code: A DEFENDER CANNOT DROP OR FALL ON A PRONE
PLAYER.
Application: It is an infringement for a defender to drop, dive or fall on a player in possession of the ball who is prone or stationary on the ground and not attempting to play-on. (A simple hand-on completes the tackle).
Reference: Law Book - Section 15, Law 1 (e) and (i), Page 38

Where does this exist on the rules book? "SafePlay CODE FOR JUNIOR RUGBY LEAGUE".

Section 15, Law 1 (e): A player is guilty of misconduct if he deliberately and continuously break the Laws of the game

Section 15, Law 1 (i): A player is guilty of misconduct if he behaves in any way contrary to the spirit of the game

Keeping in mind that sandbagging and these sections were only referenced for junior rugby league, one has to wonder how Maxwell made that interpretation.

I was half agreeing with Rabs yesterday when he said there was a rule (i thought there might have been) but there is nothing in the rule book that explicitly rules out the tackle.