What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

getsmarty

Immortal
Lawrie happy to stay a Dragon

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

12 May 2017, 10 a.m.
r0_0_3000_1938_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Blake Lawrie has re-signed with the Dragons for two years. Picture: Getty Images

JUNIOR Kangaroos prop Blake Lawrie says the decision to re-commit to his junior club for two more seasons was an easy one to make, confident the club is very much on the up.

The Dapto junior made his debut for the Junior Roos as part of the representative weekend, a match that ended in a big win for the Aussies. He joins an impressive stable of young forwards at the club with the likes of Hame Sele, Jacob Host and Luciano Leilua all locked down on multi-year deals.

“It’s good that we’re all locked up at the moment. It’s a good platform for us to keep building on in years to come,” Lawrie said.

They’ll also get the chance to learn from what has emerged as one of the most dominant forward packs in the NRL.

“It’s part of the reason I re-signed, the pack and how well they’re playing,” Lawrie said.

“It’s good for me as a young front-rower to learn off and hopefully I can keep learning off all of them and work my way in there.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4656548/lawrie-happy-to-stay-a-dragon/?cs=3713

Mr Red

First Grade
Anyone with half a brain could see the rapid development of this kid once he started to get back to back games in first grade. Even things like his fitness and the ability to play longer minutes increased in the space of a month.

Too see plodders like latimore get more first grade time compared to this kid was an absolute joke.

BLM01

First Grade
Anyone with half a brain could see the rapid development of this kid once he started to get back to back games in first grade. Even things like his fitness and the ability to play longer minutes increased in the space of a month.

Too see plodders like latimore get more first grade time compared to this kid was an absolute joke.
Agree, it should change next year. He has got to be the 4th prop in our starting 17 with Sims and the other 2 usuals

Overseas dragon

Juniors

agree that the kid is very promising and is headed in the right direction,.regarding latimore cant recall him not doing his job yes hes a toiler but the kind of no nonsense player every club needs a no frills mistake free player .sure hes no superstar but we have worse players on the team to drop before we get to latimore ......

possm

Coach
agree that the kid is very promising and is headed in the right direction,.regarding latimore cant recall him not doing his job yes hes a toiler but the kind of no nonsense player every club needs a no frills mistake free player .sure hes no superstar but we have worse players on the team to drop before we get to latimore ......

I guess we are relying on Lawrie to step up and show us he can be that 4th prop in the rotation. Hopefully Timm and other ISP props can push him to be his very best.

Can someone confirm that Lawrie is signed with us beyond the 2019 season.

possm

Coach
No he has not yet. Another player we need to make room for

Lucky for us, Millward is doing a great job. For goodness sake, how hard would it be and how much harder would it be to leave it till the dust settles and another club needing a cheap first grader offers him a contract.

nontime111

Juniors
I love Lawrie! Hes so old school , love the way he just smashes in attack! just runs so hard without fear, if he develops and offload one day hell be a gun! I think hell play origin in the next 2 or 3 years

JDHD

Juniors

Yeah but was that because they made him bide his time in Cup? There’s no black and white here, it’s infinite greys

BLM01

First Grade
Lucky for us, Millward is doing a great job. For goodness sake, how hard would it be and how much harder would it be to leave it till the dust settles and another club needing a cheap first grader offers him a contract.
Lucky for all of us that we dont know what is going on behind closed doors. For all you know right this very minute they may be negotiating a new deal beyond 19.
So then you can stand up and blast away when he actually does sign with another club. Until then......
Remember even the great run clubs with better recruitment gurus than Millward still have better players than Lawrie off contract at the end of 19 not signed beyond.
Imagine if you supported the Storm. Cam Smith has not even signed a contract for 19 yet. Their forum if they actually have one would be in melt down. Millward might pinch him under the Storm's guard yet..you never know!;)

True_Believer

Juniors
Lucky for all of us that we dont know what is going on behind closed doors. For all you know right this very minute they may be negotiating a new deal beyond 19.
So then you can stand up and blast away when he actually does sign with another club. Until then......
Remember even the great run clubs with better recruitment gurus than Millward still have better players than Lawrie off contract at the end of 19 not signed beyond.
Imagine if you supported the Storm. Cam Smith has not even signed a contract for 19 yet. Their forum if they actually have one would be in melt down. Millward might pinch him under the Storm's guard yet..you never know!;)

Are you for real? Surely Millward is competent enough to sign Lawrie up to a 20 year deal!!!

BLM01

First Grade
Are you for real? Surely Millward is competent enough to sign Lawrie up to a 20 year deal!!!
Yeh I'm for real. Actually it is reality I like to nestle into not Utopia. If I was Lawrie and offered a 20 year deal, I would take it...but not sure where the comment about a 20 year deal come from???? :confused:

Last edited:
Hang on......I seem to recall you giving a spray to our recruitment manager earlier this year, for not signing big names to fill holes in our squad before 're signing our extending our current rookies.

Has the worm turned? Or do you need stronger medication?

getsmarty

Immortal
Blake Lawrie determined to deliver improved NRL season for St George Illawarra Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_394_4319_2832_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Charging into 2019: Blake Lawrie is determined to become a consistent force next season. Picture: NRL Imagery/Shane Myers.

Blake Lawrie remembers the pain of St George Illawarra’s 2018 NRL finals defeat vividly.

The pain that came after Adam Reynolds landed three field goals in the space of 11 minutes to sink the Dragons premiership hopes and send them out of the competition.

And it’s a feeling that will drive him throughout the upcoming NRL preseason.

‘”It was a crap way to lose,” Lawrie said. “It was a crap feeling.

“When I was talking to Jai Field after the match, we were saying how terrible it felt. That was only our first, second game of finals and it was a crap feeling. We want it so bad to play next year in the finals and go better.”

Lawrie was among the first group of Dragons players to return to WIN Stadium this week, with the squad’s younger members enduring their first week of what will be a four-month-long preseason.

After making his NRL debut in 2017 as a much-heralded emerging talent, Lawrie’s progress stalled somewhat in 2018. The prop forward played just nine games in the top-flight, with Jeremy Lattimore and Leeson Ah Mau locking down bench positions.

Lawrie is the first to admit he lost his way slightly throughout the season. With a first-grade opportunity not opening up and Lawrie comfortable in a talented NSW Cup side, the Dapto Canaries junior concedes he stopped doing the little things that could have helped him knock down that first grade door.

This next season, he vows, will be different.

“I fell away at times. I didn’t lose hunger, I just got comfortable playing reserve grade. I didn’t want to slack off, I wanted to put in the work, but didn’t want it that bad so I stopped doing extras.

“If I’m in that boat again in the 2019 season, I’ll be doing extras every day, working very hard to get back in the top team.”

With injuries mounting, Lawrie was thrown into the Suncorp Stadium cauldron during the Dragons elimination final against Brisbane. In 38 minutes of action, the 21-year-old thrived, playing a key role in his side’s victory.

Having had that taste of finals football, Lawrie is now determined to ensure he becomes a regular first-grader in 2019.

“I finally got an opportunity to give the trust back to Mary, what he put in me to put me out there in the first place. That’s my level, my par now, I’ll be looking to go bigger and better in the 2019 season and build on it each game.”

“Mary kept the end-of-season review pretty short, he thought I developed some momentum ending the 2018 season. He wants me to build on that at the start of the 2019 season and I’ll be putting my front foot forward to do so.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-determined-to-build-on-mixed-season/?cs=3713

denis preston

First Grade
How does he stack up size wise ? Would he be on the smaller side and who do we compare him with ? Certainly impressed in his last two games.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
How does he stack up size wise ? Would he be on the smaller side and who do we compare him with ? Certainly impressed in his last two games.

Hang on- isn't it possible that poor old Cogburn has been unjustly pilloried- if Lawrie is not signed beyond 2019, the Chooks might be moving to offer him a three year deal for 2020 and beyond.

Latest posts