What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

to_ddeath

Coach
Lacks impact. That's why he tops the metres gained for our front rowers. Whatever shit your on is doing your head in. Stay calm and get off it

do your amazing stats include PTBs off the ground or standing up?
You might need to sit down & start living up to your name...

possm

Coach
I am calm, name me a forward besides McGuiness who makes more metres than him. He is carrying a lazy forward pack and you're freaking out about the way he plays the ball. Stay calm
Well the forwards coach has now moved to the Cowboys and the new staff in town will buy in some mongrel and challenge the players that stay during the off-season. Let us hope that this will solve the problem.

redv13

Bench
I am calm, name me a forward besides McGuiness who makes more metres than him. He is carrying a lazy forward pack and you're freaking out about the way he plays the ball. Stay calm
I’ve mentioned this numerous times on here, the big fella doesn’t have many supporters on here. Not sure why but that’s how I see it. He busts his ass every game and is probably on half the money of some other “ stars “ in our forward pack and in my opinion he has been let down badly this year by 2 or 3 of them

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I’m more concerned around his defence. Tough bugger and agree more than pulling his weight, huge ticker and yes doing more than others. Yet, his goal line defence and handling has been pretty ordinary at times. Still new influences at the joint might iron out these wrinkles...

Sloth

Juniors
I’m more concerned around his defence. Tough bugger and agree more than pulling his weight, huge ticker and yes doing more than others. Yet, his goal line defence and handling has been pretty ordinary at times. Still new influences at the joint might iron out these wrinkles...
That is a worry, however the whole team was hardly moving up in defence, hard to stop those big boys with long arms from scoring that close to the line. Will give him the benefit of the doubt until he does it again with the new coach.
I expect to see some new faces to help the forwards out regardless so he could just be a bench prop as of next year.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
That is a worry, however the whole team was hardly moving up in defence, hard to stop those big boys with long arms from scoring that close to the line. Will give him the benefit of the doubt until he does it again with the new coach.
I expect to see some new faces to help the forwards out regardless so he could just be a bench prop as of next year.
True, but did many times and at the end of the day that what’s he’s there for Sloth and their easier to stop if you don’t grab at them....I really do hope he kicks on and want him to, we need him at that higher level. Big off season for him.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
I’ve mentioned this numerous times on here, the big fella doesn’t have many supporters on here. Not sure why but that’s how I see it. He busts his ass every game and is probably on half the money of some other “ stars “ in our forward pack and in my opinion he has been let down badly this year by 2 or 3 of them

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Our recruitment finds it difficult to identify good talent and also sign good talant that comes onto the market. We need a good cleanout at the Dragons.
recruitment has been crap for ages retention the same to let Luciano go and keep james graham instead shows why millward should be sacked

possm

Coach
Jury is still out on Blake for mine but agree possm, let a new coach have a go with him. Bench at best for now.
By all means, I would like nothing better than to see Lawrie be effective on the field; he is a local junior for Gods sake. But the fact remains he does not add a lot to the forward pack, a pack that has come off second best to most sides all year.

If Griffin can get him to choose his run, provide a good off-load to those trailing him and work with his fellow forwards to plug the defensive gaps up the middle, then maybe he can trun the corner.

I am not saying it is all Lawrie's fault. He has only known one head coach who proved to be a real peanut and in addition he partnered with players in a forward pack who were fatigued or busted most of the their time on the field. The body language of our forwards and halves told it all.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
By all means, I would like nothing better than to see Lawrie be effective on the field; he is a local junior for Gods sake. But the fact remains he does not add a lot to the forward pack, a pack that has come of second best to most sides all year.

If Griffin can get him to choose his run, provide a good off-load to those trailing him and work with his fellow forwards to plug the defensive gaps up the middle, then maybe he can trun the corner.

I am not saying it is all Lawrie's fault. He has only known one head coach who proved to be a real peanut and in addition he partnered with players in a forward pack who were fatigued or busted most of the their time on the field. The body language of our forwards and halves told it all.
Lawrie adds plenty, give him two years under Hook and let him hit his prime then judge him. He won’t be in the Payne Haas level but as the older blokes like JWH start to retire he will start to hit his prime and will be playing against younger guys. It’s then that he will start dominating.

possm

Coach
Lawrie adds plenty, give him two years under Hook and let him hit his prime then judge him. He won’t be in the Payne Haas level but as the older blokes like JWH start to retire he will start to hit his prime and will be playing against younger guys. It’s then that he will start dominating.
You could very well be right, time will tell. But we are talking about is his current value to the team. When looking at the all players in the team, there seems to be not one that does not need the help of our new coaching staff to perform at their best; including Lawrie.

BLM01

First Grade
By all means, I would like nothing better than to see Lawrie be effective on the field; he is a local junior for Gods sake. But the fact remains he does not add a lot to the forward pack, a pack that has come of second best to most sides all year.

You have just said it.
Lawrie and Vaughan have been our best 2 for some time.
Kerr has got to step up further and show why he was even in the back-ups for SOO and take a lot of hard hit ups and hits in defence. Now we have those 3, Poasa, Eddie, Ellis and even Merrin in desperation + 1 more to come to start pushing each other. That equals 7-8 front row potentials.

possm

Coach
You have just said it.
Lawrie and Vaughan have been our best 2 for some time.
Kerr has got to step up further and show why he was even in the back-ups for SOO and take a lot of hard hit ups and hits in defence. Now we have those 3, Poasa, Eddie, Ellis and even Merrin in desperation + 1 more to come to start pushing each other. That equals 7-8 front row potentials.
I have never said that Vaughan and Lawrie are our best forwards. At one point in time I had the view that Sims, Frizell and De Belin was the best backrow in the NRL and that Vaughan deserved his selections at representative level.

If you want my view on where Lawrie sits within our forward pack, I'd have to say that he sits behind Vaughan, Kerr and possibly our newly recruited prop Faamausili. In the next 12 months I believe Blacker and Ellis have the potential to sit equal standing with Lawrie, if not better standing.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
You could very well be right, time will tell. But we are talking about is his current value to the team. When looking at the all players in the team, there seems to be not one that does not need the help of our new coaching staff to perform at their best; including Lawrie.
I disagree considering stats wise he was our best prop this season. Not every player in the team is going to be origin standard. He’s already more than solid and will become very good, maybe someday origin level. He is far from the problem. Coming through he really needed the support of some leaders. Instead he’s had to become a leader before his time and has done so in leading our pack. He just needs the players in Sims and Vaughan in particular to do their fair share in 2021 and he will a lot better for it.

possm

Coach
I disagree considering stats wise he was our best prop this season. Not every player in the team is going to be origin standard. He’s already more than solid and will become very good, maybe someday origin level. He is far from the problem. Coming through he really needed the support of some leaders. Instead he’s had to become a leader before his time and has done so in leading our pack. He just needs the players in Sims and Vaughan in particular to do their fair share in 2021 and he will a lot better for it.
Lawrie is a prop and ven with talkling machine McInness averaging super human levels of defensive work, our weak point in 2020 was up the middle; especially close to the line.

Lawrie does not change is run direction or speed, he just runs straight and with much impact runs into defensive traffic. At least Vaughan uses footwork before the defensive line and commits on most occasions, more than two defenders to himself. The only problem was that on many occasions no player was following him waiting to accept an off-load. Under McGreggor and Young, it was safety first - no fancy play including off-loads.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Is this 'groundhog day'?
If so, then repeat again:

Lawrie is 23 yrs old, carried our forwards this year, and remember he's only ever had 1 coach from the time he entered grade.
Josh Kerr is older at 24 and we say he still jeeds to develop, mmmm.
Kaide Ellis is older at 24.
Paul Vaughan is 29 and was injured/ lost interest in 2020.
Poasa Faamausili is older at 24
Trent Merrin is a fossil
The only prop forward younger than Lawrie is Blacker, and he's a long way off being a regular 1st grader.

Lawrie made his1st grade debut at 20, and has suffered 3 seasons under the 'powa' game. Let's see what he brings to the table under a real coach with real game plans.

Most props dont 'mature' until their mid to late 20's, given this Lawrie is still a couple of years away from that.

Just an add-on point. You cant conpare him to say Haas. Haas is no doubt a dynamic forward, but can he sustain the level he's achieved at such a young age year after year? The body isnt designed for that, and I wouldnt say Haas had a stellar year in 2020.