What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluey gorrrnnn ????

Skinner

Coach
From the Sunday Star Times :
http://stuff.co.nz/sundaystartimes/4113972a6444.html

The NZRL aren't willing to countenance a part-time coach.

Kiwis rugby league coach Brian "Bluey" McClennan is set to quit as national mentor to join English Super League club Leeds.

The New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) are all but resigned to losing the inspirational coach to the Rhinos.

The Sunday Star-Times has learned that although McClennan has yet to receive a formal offer from the Super League giants, sources say that the NZRL are expecting to hear very soon that McClennan will quit as national team coach to move to England.

English newspapers The Independent, the Daily Telegraph and League Express have all claimed McClennan is favourite for the Leeds job, which falls vacant at the season's end when incumbent Tony Smith takes over as Great Britain coach.

The Star-Times understands the NZRL think McClennan is more than just a favourite for the vacancy and are already considering their options, just over a year out from the world cup, should they lose the 2005 Tri-Nations-winning coach.

McClennan signed a three-year full-time contract as Kiwis coach after that remarkable result in England, which was due to take him through to the end of the world cup.

His original game plan was to consider overseas offers after that tournament, but his rising profile and reputation has aroused interest in England, with other Super League clubs known to have considered McClennan as a coaching contender in the past.

He turned down the Castleford Tigers in 2005 and has been talked about by other club sides here since then. He was also linked with NRL clubs in Australia, including the Sydney Roosters.
He has an undoubted passion for the national job and sees the world cup as the pinnacle for the national side, which means any decision to move to England would not be taken lightly, especially as a deal with Leeds would undoubtedly mean a swift halt to his Kiwis role.

The NZRL aren't willing to countenance a part-time coach. And it's understood they do not want a coach who will only take this year's All Golds tour and leave before the world cup.

The commemorative October-November trip to Europe, which includes three tests with Britain and one with France, is the last real preparation for the Kiwis before the world cup.

The Star-Times understands the NZRL will be insistent that McClennan either commits to both that tour and the world cup or neither.

It's difficult to see where a replacement for McClennan would come from, but the NZRL have been keenly pushing their pathways plan for some time, and it would be bad public relations if they appointed the next national coach from outside the system.

This leaves the front-running to domestic coaches who are as unknown as McClennan was until his brilliant successes with the Kiwis.

LeagueNut

First Grade
WTF is wrong with a national coach being in charge of a club side?? If Ricky Stuart does it for Australia, why can't Bluey do it for us?

And it's not like he'd be completely out of the loop - there's more than enough Kiwis in the ESL that he can keep an eye on.

I understand the NZRL's desires to keep their key people local, but it clearly isn't going to work in this day and age. Think outside the square peoples!!!!

Skinner

Coach
They made that particular policy decision to keep Freeman away and I see no reason
for them not to change the policy back to what it was when Happy Frank (in the UK)
had them.

I'm sure Natty can babysit the locals (Australasians) while Bluey is up eating Pie & Mushy
Peas.....

LeagueNut

First Grade
Exactly.

Makes me wonder why they're completely against changing the rule though. Are they simply being stubborn, or is there the possibility of a legal challenge from Whiz if they remove the rule that removed him?? (It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened ... )

mean

Juniors
LeagueNut said:
Exactly.

Makes me wonder why they're completely against changing the rule though. Are they simply being stubborn, or is there the possibility of a legal challenge from Whiz if they remove the rule that removed him?? (It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened ... )

If only the NZRL was transparent at the time and alluded to the fact that Freeman bought his National coaching position and frankly his coaching abilities were inadequate. What's that saying ....you make your bed, you sleep in it?:roll:

Lossy

Juniors
Who would be next in line? Norton, Iro, Ackland, Bergman, Nikau, or maybe a left-field Perenara?

l imagine we can rule out anyone from the Warriors due to their commitments and the likelihood that Kemp and Lowe would prefer it that way, but have no facts to back that assumption. Norton could certainly do it but they burned him for Freeman last time didn't they? Has he forgiven them, would they feel too guilty, or has enough time passed? Perenara? Don't know enough about him to even guess.

If the Orcas were to get in the NRL would Bergman be coach? Be good exposure for him. Something tells me they'll go will Nikau. Given their recent appointments, I see them treading the Mal Meninga route. Former Kiwis involvement, passion, pride etc.

All speculation at this stage but, ooh, how exciting!

A lazy $0 -- worth more than the US at the moment -- that the NZRL will find a spectacular way to blow something up in the game's face.

mean

Juniors
PB, I have no faith if the six candidates are our only choices. In this day in age, only credible results demonstrate the ability to step up to the top post. Nikau-wooden spoon coach, Bergman-always building for next year, Iro-didn't know he had coached any teams, Nattie, Bernie and Ackland-have had reasonable success.

Stick with Bluey as he has the credentials or give Kemp the sack from NZRL and offer him the position. I think he may have learnt alot about the game not being in it without the pressure of adversity. Prescott is the other coach who has come through the system that has achieved success.

RLIF

Juniors
It was really the question that I was asked (are you going to coach in the Super League this year) – would I, not will I?” McLennan said.

“Of Course I would like to and I know I have the right ability to do so but will I right now? No. All Kiwi fans must be assured that my sole job and commitment is to the Kiwis and to the up-coming World Cup in Australia in 2008.”

“We are totally focused on our dream and that is to win the Tri Nations and the World Cup. It’s my total focus – don’t ever forget that – the rest is just a distraction from t he job ahead.”

I Bluey goes...dont come back!!! He could be turning his back on the Kiwi jumper...and believe it or not is this not the same thing that Sione did in 2005???

Lossy

Juniors
RLIF said:
I Bluey goes...dont come back!!! He could be turning his back on the Kiwi jumper...and believe it or not is this not the same thing that Sione did in 2005???

Nope.

Sione is able to ply his trade anywhere in the world at one level and still be able to make himself available to play for the Kiwis. It's then up to the selectors to choose him.

Bluey is able to ply his trade anywhere in the world at one level and still make himself available to coach the Kiwis, but it's up to the NZRL choose him. They make the rules.

It would be accurate in your assumption if: Bluey was able to coach anywhere and still be coach, but made himself unavailable; or if there was a rule that Sione could only play for the Kiwis if he resided in New Zealand. Neither of those are true, so it's not.

Aside from that, how many professional playing positions are available? Quite a few if you're good enough. How many professional coaching positions are available? Even if you are good enough there are bugger all. If he goes, good on him for bettering himself as a coach. He's not going to develop more than he already has here, and if we are to be happy for a player to leave these shores to forge a higher career, we should we be just as happy for Bluey

I think that it's fair to say that as a player and a coach he's pulled his weight for the NZ scene and, frankly, statements questioning his loyalty give me the sh*ts.

*Edited to correct some wording*

Skinner

Coach
Polar Bob said:
Nope.

Sione is able to ply his trade anywhere in the world at one level and still be able to make himself available to play for the Kiwis. It's then up to the selectors to choose him.

Bluey is able to ply his trade anywhere in the world at one level and still make himself available to coach the Kiwis, but it's up to the NZRL choose him. They make the rules.

It would be accurate in your assumption if: Bluey was able to coach anywhere and still be coach, but made himself unavailable; or if there was a rule that Sione could only play for the Kiwis if he resided in New Zealand. Neither of those are true, so it's not.

Aside from that, how many professional playing positions are available? Quite a few if you're good enough. How many professional coaching positions are available? Even if you are good enough there are bugger all. If he goes, good on him for bettering himself as a coach. He's going to develop any more than he already has here, and if we are to be happy for a player to leave these shores to forge a higher career, we should we be just as happy for Bluey

I think that it's fair to say that as a player and a coach he's pulled his weight for the NZ scene and, frankly, statements questioning his loyalty give me the sh*ts.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

RLIF....go and give yourself 30 uppercuts mate:cool:

RLIF

Juniors
Polar Bob said:
Nope.

Bluey said that Sione will never play for the Kiwis again while he is coaching because he turned his back on the jumper for a stint in the UK. Now Bluey has come out and said he will be here till the end of the World Cup....what i am saying is that if he goes he is turning his back on the jumper to earn money as a coach...he doesnt need to better himself when he is coaching his country....

His record as Kiwis coach is not the best too...yes he won the final in 2005 and came close in 2006....but i think after 13 matches he has only won 6? Now thats average...considering they have lost the last 6 out of eight matches.....

The kiwis coach should be full time job...in NEW ZEALAND...he should be running coaching clinics every month around the country to help the standard of coaching improve...

Lossy

Juniors
RLIF said:
Bluey said that Sione will never play for the Kiwis again while he is coaching because he turned his back on the jumper for a stint in the UK. Now Bluey has come out and said he will be here till the end of the World Cup....what i am saying is that if he goes he is turning his back on the jumper to earn money as a coach...he doesnt need to better himself when he is coaching his country....

Again... not the same. Refer to the comparison. The circumstances are different. With due respect, the Kiwis coach does not learn as much from a few tests than someone guiding a professional team for a season.

RLIF said:
His record as Kiwis coach is not the best too...yes he won the final in 2005 and came close in 2006....but i think after 13 matches he has only won 6? Now thats average...considering they have lost the last 6 out of eight matches.....

Noting to do with your point, but fair to say that applies to the Kiwis in general, with or without Bluey.

RLIF said:
The kiwis coach should be full time job...in NEW ZEALAND...he should be running coaching clinics every month around the country to help the standard of coaching improve...

That's fine, and there is a fair argument for it. But you can't bitch about disloyalty if you give someone a career choice of:

A) Coach in NZ only
B) Coach in NZ only
C) Coach in NZ only

Sione had how many career choices? I have no problem with anyone turning down a Kiwi jumper myself, but you risk exclusion if the reasons are not perceived as valid.

Bluey's situation is not the same, as much as you might say it is.

mean

Juniors
RLIF said:

If not the Kiwis coach, high performance director or even the football director. Does anyone run coaching clinics in this country anymore. Oh thats right, the NZRL did away with the high performance camps a couple of years ago. No wonder the cupboard is bare.:(

Micistm

Bench
Been reading a bit in regard to this, listening to quite a few's take on it...and I don't know what to think at this stage. But it appears, to me from the outside (And admitting I am following as best I can with no inside knowledge) that there is a total lack of professionalism and just basic class coming through with one of these parties. And it's not the current coach.
Still waiting to see, and be happy to be proven wrong- But I will be extremely disappointed if this is yet another example of a 'jobs for the boys' thing going on, similar to a way someone a few years ago was going to be having all his mates with 'Warriors jobs' if he owned them.
NZRL needs to get their **** together to quash rumours like this. Quickly.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
NZRL RELUCTANTLY ACCEPTS McCLENNAN RESIGNATION

Auckland, New Zealand, July 11, 2007 - The New Zealand Rugby League
today expressed its disappointment that Brian McClennan has quit as Kiwi
coach 15 months out from the 2008 World Cup in Australia.

The NZRL was advised of his resignation late this afternoon.

McClennan said he had decided to accept an offer to become head coach of
the Leeds Rhinos in the English Super League.

"We're disappointed Bluey has reached this decision," said NZRL chairman
Andrew Chalmers.

"We offered him a substantial increase in his package to stay on as Kiwi
coach until after next year's World Cup but we have no option but to
reluctantly accept his decision."

Chalmers said it was a reality for New Zealand rugby league that
big-spending professional clubs in England and Australia would always
have the means to target the country's players and coaches.

"We can't compete with the money they can offer but we have to live with
that," said Chalmers.

"The NZRL board, players and Kiwi league fans everywhere wish Bluey luck
and success at Leeds and thank him for his tremendous contribution to
rugby league in New Zealand and overseas."

Chalmers said the NZRL would immediately begin its search for a
replacement full-time coach who must be resident in New Zealand, and
fully involved in the domestic high performance coaching and development
structures.

The NZRL appointments committee chaired by director of football Graham
Lowe and supported by Howie Tamati and Frank Endacott (all ex-Kiwi
coaches) has been asked to short list candidates and conduct interviews.

A recommendation on the replacement Kiwi coach will be made as soon as
possible.

f**king clueless merkins.

Bluey is a champion. He got the Kiwi jumper back to where it belongs, and he bought hunger, desire and mateship to the jersey which got us competing with the Aussies every occasion

BUT

His decision is based on greed and selfishness

What happened to its all about Pride Bluey. Money cant come between the your mates and the Kiwi jumper Bluey. What a load of sh*t. He has put himself first and left our World Cup campaign in tatters as far as im concerned

You were a champion Bluey and i emphasis the word WERE but you have just sold out. You may as well go have a few beers with Sione and reminise about all the great things yous 2 can do with your money. You have just done what Sione did a few years ago and put the Dollar ahead of the Jersey.

f**k off Bluey you just sold out

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
Bluey is a champion. He got the Kiwi jumper back to where it belongs, and he bought hunger, desire and mateship to the jersey which got us competing with the Aussies every occasion

BUT

What happened to its all about Pride Bluey. Money cant come between the your mates and the Kiwi jumper Bluey. What a load of sh*t. He has put himself first and left our World Cup campaign in tatters as far as im concerned

You were a champion Bluey and i emphasis the word WERE but you have just sold out. You may as well go have a few beers with Sione and reminise about all the great things yous 2 can do with your money. You have just done what Sione did a few years ago and put the Dollar ahead of the Jersey.

Hope you saw Deaker on Sport, and heard his side of the story.

Micistm

Bench
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:

BUT

Strong opinion, which you're entitled to. But consider this: Firstly, Bluey has remained with the Kiwis for this long for the love of it, turing down personal gain over these years to do what he loves to do, which is coach the Kiwis. Secondly, it is now out when Bluey first received this offer, he did everything right and went to the NZRL- Who gave him a verbal confirmation he could do both the Leeds job & Kiwis job (Chalmers). This was rumoured over several days on Radio Sport, and confirmed by Bluey tonight. This was rebuked once Bluey had applied and got the Leeds position- Leaving him to make one hell of a choice.

This next bit is my opinion- The 'substancial' offer to get him to stay by the NZRL was bordering on insulting and simply to make themselves look good and so pathetic he could not possibly accept it. Hugh McGahan on Prime news hinted it was around the 50 000 per year mark (Total, not increase).

I am disgusted with the NZRL, who could have easily resolved this by a simple change in the contract. The NZRL are as unprofessional and nutty as they have been over the past few years, and will continue to shoot themselves in the foot until they have a complete cleanout at the top and get some true professional business people in place. This whole fiasco and how it was handled has been another example of how bad they are, and Rugby League will continue to suffer while they remain. Those at the top do not even have to be RL fans- Just good business people who know how to market and run a decent organisation. Bad move guys.

Latest posts