What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluey gorrrnnn ????

Lossy

Juniors
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
Bluey is a champion. He got the Kiwi jumper back to where it belongs, and he bought hunger, desire and mateship to the jersey which got us competing with the Aussies every occasion

BUT

His decision is based on greed and selfishness

What happened to its all about Pride Bluey. Money cant come between the your mates and the Kiwi jumper Bluey. What a load of sh*t. He has put himself first and left our World Cup campaign in tatters as far as im concerned

You were a champion Bluey and i emphasis the word WERE but you have just sold out. You may as well go have a few beers with Sione and reminise about all the great things yous 2 can do with your money. You have just done what Sione did a few years ago and put the Dollar ahead of the Jersey.

f**k off Bluey you just sold out

The coach of the Kiwis does not have the luxury that the players do in player wherever they damn well want to and still get picked for the kiwis, and Bluey has been in NZ coaching and playing for how long? Seriously, dude, the sell out angle is bollocks.

As for tatters, they can get whoever they want to come in for 3-4 tests and pull it off if they are a half-decent coach, providing the players do their bit. Huge violin going on here. :sarcasm:

Sione could play wherever he wanted and make himself available for the Kiwis. McClennan can't. The NZRL can select him just like a player but THEY choose not to.

If what was on Deaker is true then: the NZRL have created their own problems; Bluey is not to blame; and the NZRL can go f**k themselves. Hopefully before they f**k anybody else.

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
Maybe if the NZRL wanted to keep its people local, theyn might like like to invest a few mill in our homegrown talent, i.e. Bartercard Cup, make that just as attractive to players, and put a quota on how many can be selected from overseas competitions since the warriors are half Aussie now and the ESL clubs are reluctant to release players for the Kiwis incase they get injured. If the NZRL was the main employer then there wont be any disputes between clubs and test sides. seriously the NZRL need to wake up and promote LEAGUE IN NZ not just the kiwis. i mean how many people, other than families, actually know who is in the JK's or the Bartercard Cup teams. Lowie needs to go.

salivor

First Grade
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
Bluey is a champion. He got the Kiwi jumper back to where it belongs, and he bought hunger, desire and mateship to the jersey which got us competing with the Aussies every occasion

BUT

What happened to its all about Pride Bluey. Money cant come between the your mates and the Kiwi jumper Bluey. What a load of sh*t. He has put himself first and left our World Cup campaign in tatters as far as im concerned

You were a champion Bluey and i emphasis the word WERE but you have just sold out. You may as well go have a few beers with Sione and reminise about all the great things yous 2 can do with your money. You have just done what Sione did a few years ago and put the Dollar ahead of the Jersey.

Crap, Bluey was previously told by Chalmers that he could coach both Leeds and the Kiwis and now they decide to shift the goal posts on him. We all know that the only reason that stupid rule of the coach needing to reside in NZ was brought in was to be used as a convienient excuse to punt Freeman. Now they suddnely want to enforce it on the best coach we've ever had?

There's no way that the NZRL could match what Leeds had to offer and I don't blame Bluey for wanting to look out for his family and future, I dare you to look thousands of dollars in the face and say no. The issue here has to be with the NZRL who can't surely claim that Bluey can't coach the team while coaching in England. Leeds were quite accommodating and stated that Bluey could have leave to coach the Kiwis. The team only comes together a week before tests and half our player pool plays in the ESL, your kidding me if you think he can't do both jobs.

This is nothing but the usual game of politics within the NZRL. The usual idiots in suits with a hunger for power and no interest in the actual game that their in charge of to see grow. This country need to get rid of the mystique around Graham Lowe, his time has been and gone and he's now nothing but a distabilising factor for the game in this country now. Whoever decided he should have a role within the NZRL deserves 100 uppercuts and the idiot who decided to re-write Bluey's contract and make him answerable to Lowe deserves the same as that's surely the straw that broke the camels back.

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
1000% agree with you Salivor bout Lowie and Chalmers. If the NZRL hadnt mucked Bluey around he may well turned down the thousands of dollars. He has always been passionate bout the Kiwi Jersey. but who would want to hang around a bunch of to$$ers in suits who dont wana support you 100%. i thought the NZRL cleared the ranks of useless F&^%ers, but evidently they got rid of the good blokes and replaced him with a bigger F&^%er.

Lowie is a has been, gone is my respect for him. Bring back Sel.

mean

Juniors
Great debate.

Two camps, NZRL vs Bluey.

When Bluey was appointed Kiwis coach did he not also have director of football role as well. The goal posts have indeed shifted for Bluey as he now has a new chairman to deal with (Chalmers), new national director of football (Lowe), new high performance director (Kemp), new director of coaching (Ward), new executive board (Weir, Doig, Hughes, Mathews & Co.).

Either Bluey had to adapt to these new appointments or move on as the role of his original appointment had changed. Bluey either went looking for a new role or let it be known that he could be persuaded to move on.

We are not privy to what NZRL offered Bluey to stay on except for McGahan pie in the sky comments suggesting it was $50k. If Bluey was able to do Lowe's and Kemp's job then maybe he could've attracted their combined salaries. I didn't see any tangible objectives from Bluey as his role as football director over the past year or two. Maybe he didn't have the organisation nous to move the game forward.

Bluey no doubt is a great coach, but at the end of the day a lot of the focus is all about themselves. If I was in Bluey's position I would take the Leeds job and look after my family.

We do not know what Bluey's motivation is other than the fact that he has used the media to paint himself to be hard done by. Bluey is a smart and calculating person.

We do not know what went on behind closed doors at NZRL between Chalmers, board, Lowe & Co because they have used the media for their own benefit as well because they are all smart and business minded.

I guess I'll never know for sure what really happened, but I do know that I'll never be swayed from my objectionable and rationable thinking especially when it comes to media reporting.

The Kiwis coaching job should not be part time. This role should also include national director of football as basically he is running our top echelon of players. My personal opinion is that Bluey was not able to perform the latter role in an administrative capacity.

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:

BUT

Cuz, the NZRL sold out on Bluey. The chairman told him one thing only to be told something else by that loser Lowe. He was happy coaching the Kiwis with pride. I think Bluey done the right thing and i hope the next coach realises that the hardest part of the job is dealing with the NZRL who dont seem to be able to organise a orgy in a hoehouse.

Beavers Headgear said:
Hope you saw Deaker on Sport, and heard his side of the story.

No but listened to some reports today about it. At the time i had just watched the sports news and felt gutted. of course i didnt know the real facts but they basically said he had refused the NZRLs offer and decided to abandon the Kiwis

After listening and reading everything since posting last night its the NZRL and Lowe who have sold Bluey out

Micistm said:
Strong opinion, which you're entitled to. But consider this: Firstly, Bluey has remained with the Kiwis for this long for the love of it, turing down personal gain over these years to do what he loves to do, which is coach the Kiwis. Secondly, it is now out when Bluey first received this offer, he did everything right and went to the NZRL- Who gave him a verbal confirmation he could do both the Leeds job & Kiwis job (Chalmers). This was rumoured over several days on Radio Sport, and confirmed by Bluey tonight. This was rebuked once Bluey had applied and got the Leeds position- Leaving him to make one hell of a choice.

This next bit is my opinion- The 'substancial' offer to get him to stay by the NZRL was bordering on insulting and simply to make themselves look good and so pathetic he could not possibly accept it. Hugh McGahan on Prime news hinted it was around the 50 000 per year mark (Total, not increase).

I am disgusted with the NZRL, who could have easily resolved this by a simple change in the contract. The NZRL are as unprofessional and nutty as they have been over the past few years, and will continue to shoot themselves in the foot until they have a complete cleanout at the top and get some true professional business people in place. This whole fiasco and how it was handled has been another example of how bad they are, and Rugby League will continue to suffer while they remain. Those at the top do not even have to be RL fans- Just good business people who know how to market and run a decent organisation. Bad move guys.

Agreed

heard what Hughie said. What a slap in the face to Bluey. 50k :lol: :lol:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
LOL, Bring back Sel i think i read

Is that the same bloke that people tore apart on radio and demanded his head ?

I am probably a bit on the McLennon side of this debate, but will move on

People last year demanded big changes within the NZRL, they have set up a new structure which they seem determined to adhere too, so I am willing to give them the time (1.5-2 years) to test this structure and see if it moves us forward. If not, out the door fellas

salivor said:
Crap, Bluey was previously told by Chalmers that he could coach both Leeds and the Kiwis and now they decide to shift the goal posts on him. We all know that the only reason that stupid rule of the coach needing to reside in NZ was brought in was to be used as a convienient excuse to punt Freeman. Now they suddnely want to enforce it on the best coach we've ever had?

There's no way that the NZRL could match what Leeds had to offer and I don't blame Bluey for wanting to look out for his family and future, I dare you to look thousands of dollars in the face and say no. The issue here has to be with the NZRL who can't surely claim that Bluey can't coach the team while coaching in England. Leeds were quite accommodating and stated that Bluey could have leave to coach the Kiwis. The team only comes together a week before tests and half our player pool plays in the ESL, your kidding me if you think he can't do both jobs.

This is nothing but the usual game of politics within the NZRL. The usual idiots in suits with a hunger for power and no interest in the actual game that their in charge of to see grow. This country need to get rid of the mystique around Graham Lowe, his time has been and gone and he's now nothing but a distabilising factor for the game in this country now. Whoever decided he should have a role within the NZRL deserves 100 uppercuts and the idiot who decided to re-write Bluey's contract and make him answerable to Lowe deserves the same as that's surely the straw that broke the camels back.

As i said before i didnt know the facts and posted totally on emotions. Now my emotions are that i have absolutley no faith in the NZRL

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I wouldn't class that 50k offer as anywhere near correct. Bluey admitted that it was "pretty much double" his previous contract, and i doubt he was on 25k a year.

I think i heard on the radio the new offer was in the vicinty of around 90k, so maybe Hugh has gotten the wrong end of the stick and the original salary before increase was 50k

ozbash

Referee
the 'bring back Sel' was a thinly vieled attempt at sarcasm..

we now have an organisation in a worse state of affairs than we did with bennett at the helm.
I honestly didnt think that was possible........

Polar Bob said:
The coach of the Kiwis does not have the luxury that the players do in player wherever they damn well want to and still get picked for the kiwis, and Bluey has been in NZ coaching and playing for how long? Seriously, dude, the sell out angle is bollocks.

As for tatters, they can get whoever they want to come in for 3-4 tests and pull it off if they are a half-decent coach, providing the players do their bit. Huge violin going on here. :sarcasm:

Sione could play wherever he wanted and make himself available for the Kiwis. McClennan can't. The NZRL can select him just like a player but THEY choose not to.

If what was on Deaker is true then: the NZRL have created their own problems; Bluey is not to blame; and the NZRL can go f**k themselves. Hopefully before they f**k anybody else.

Agreed PB
Just an emotion post at the time.
NZRL has f**ked everything up. Wonder if players who have a close assosiation with Bluey suddenly become unavailable

Lossy

Juniors
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
Agreed PB
Just an emotion post at the time.
NZRL has f**ked everything up. Wonder if players who have a close assosiation with Bluey suddenly become unavailable

Yeah. I'm still p*ssed at the NZRL and was/am a bit emotional too. But it is the Kiwis, after all, so if we should get upset over anything - regardless of side - it should be the national team.

I must say that out of everything if the NZRL did as Bluey has stated and said yes he can do both, let negotiations progress between Bluey and the club and then said, "nah"...well. That is a serious way to make a position untenable. Appointing a top heavy structure to whom you directly report and altering your responsibilities, as per Mean's post, is another.

I'd have been much less dignified than Bluey in departing.

All our opinions hinge on what events have happened that have been accurately reported. At this stage I think it's at least fair to say that this is one employment issue that could have been handled a damn sight better. Chalk up another event for them to learn from. I wonder when the lessons start being implemented?

Micistm

Bench
ozbash said:
the 'bring back Sel' was a thinly vieled attempt at sarcasm..

we now have an organisation in a worse state of affairs than we did with bennett at the helm.
I honestly didnt think that was possible........

Agree completely. Bluey going off to Leeds doesn't bother me too much (I wish him the best and raise my glass to him for the past couple of years), and I'm certain another good coach along the likes of Prescott could coach the kiwis well...

BUT!:

-What bugs me is the NZRL management, which is frankly a pathetic ameteur joke. If you go and take a look at the NZRL website, and click on contacts...look at who's there! Nothing has changed! It's a who's who of the same tired hacks that have been there over the past years that need to go. IMO they may (or may not in some cases) know about League, but clearly know **** all about management, marketing, and business. Their people skills are particularly awful, as 'Blueygate' and Grannygate' have proven.

Blueygate. Someone had to start it:lol:

There is a strong rumour going around today- And it is just rumour at this stage from a few people in League circles- Not only is the coach job pretty much done and dusted, a certain Malcolm Boyle is set to be Kiwi manager.

Micistm

Bench
...And if Boyle is in the mix, it will leave me personally with no doubt it's all about the 'jobs for the boys.'

Time will tell.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Listened to Radio Sport, they played a cut of the Telfer v Chalmers/Lowe interview

Wish i hadn't have heard it now, they made some points that were valid enough to warrant consideration.

Then saw some clips on the sport news, Lowe was Lowe, straight shooting, you know where he stands, fair enough, then Chalmers came on had that shifty car salesman answer to a lot of questions, and you felt he was dodgy

Has made the entire thing all that more confusing

I got put through a that Sitesafe bullsh*t at work a couple of weeks back, and will use 1 of the processes in there, the 5x5, and take a few steps back from the situation to examine in.

Basically where i stand now, the new structure they have set up needs to be given a chance. Would have loved Bluey to stay on and coach the kiwis, but he has said the structure wouldn't work with him. The best thing about this situation is that from here on in the new coach will have to buy into the new setup if he wants the job, and that should benefit the Kiwis with everyone on the same page.
I will give them time to test their new structure, and post World Cup, if it hasn't worked, all involved can head out the door.

mean

Juniors
I'm gonna put some faith into the NZRL as I see it. Chalmers is an accomplished businessman with business smarts. The board has been established with people of reputable business acumen and references. Bluey was the national football director and nothing was achieved as far as I'm aware. There is now a coaching director with good references from queensland, lowie has done a football review, yet to be released, kempy is in charge of high performance, there is a new football administrator, there is a new marketing person, the NZRL will roll out a new web based program ...

Compare this to a year ago and please someone tell me what was better...

I think the current NZRL is carrying the hangover from the past NZRL regime and only time will tell if progress will be positive.

I'm going to be optimistic and suggest that we're on the right track.

As I've said before, Bluey has used the media to paint him as hard done by. All he's done is hide his guilt by shifting the blame towards the NZRL. Bluey wanted to go to Leeds as he asked the NZRL if they would support his move there. Bluey doesn't decide who the NZRL should appoint, he was only an employee. Past dealings with Bluey suggest he is all about himself.

What was wrong with saying "I'm sorry everyone, but I'm taking a coaching job in Leeds to secure the future of myself and my family. I'm afraid I will not be able to coach the Kiwis because of the residency rule."

No, he's manipulated a response saying that the NZRL said one thing and changed their minds to say another. He couldn't perform his job with Graham Lowe as someone that he has to report to. He couldn't coach because he had no say who the selectors were. The money that the NZRL were offering was not enough.

They're the facts boys. Just like playing the game, don't let emotions cloud your thinking.