What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Split

Dragon David

First Grade
Thats why they pushed for Fitzy because both sides agreed and he turned them down ..... The whole club is a wank and if they don't get it right this time its good night Irene .....
The problem is they do not know right from wrong. It took bloody ages to sack Mary and when it happened we all looked forward to good fortune coming our way. I am doubting any good will come our way because the BOD still live in a time warp and are basically useless in running the clubs.

We want positive results from now on. Attractive, exciting attacking footy with unbending solid defence to defend the points we score. What more can I say - not too much to ask for is it?

possm

Coach
Really ? Is this true as i havent heard this ?
St George Board members purposly selected the wrong partner purely because deals were done to protect the perks of those on the Board. There should be a criminal investigation into this corrupt activity.

In short the only way to solve our management problem is to restructure the SGI entity into a format where members have a substantial share holding and are able to hold the Board accountable through a vote at the Board's AGM.

Old Timer

Coach
If Furner is picked it is history repeating itself. , Farrar replacing Waite as he was a Illawarra choice.We all know how that worked out.
If it's Furner he will only be a patsy and only for a couple of years whilst the club works out its next in house succession plan.

Griffin on the other hand could be around for 5-6 years if not longer and get us into a "premiership window" situation for a couple of years and possibly that does not sit well with some board members for some reason.

I still believe that Millward is the sleeper in all of this and could well be the "stalking horse" for the position in the chook raffle after this one.

denis preston

First Grade
The problem is they do not know right from wrong. It took bloody ages to sack Mary and when it happened we all looked forward to good fortune coming our way. I am doubting any good will come our way because the BOD still live in a time warp and are basically useless in running the clubs.

We want positive results from now on. Attractive, exciting attacking footy with unbending solid defence to defend the points we score. What more can I say - not too much to ask for is it?

I do have faith in Webby and hope he doesn't turn out like the interim coach, all talk and no changes.

Mjab

Juniors
St George Board members purposly selected the wrong partner purely because deals were done to protect the perks of those on the Board. There should be a criminal investigation into this corrupt activity.

In short the only way to solve our management problem is to restructure the SGI entity into a format where members have a substantial share holding and are able to hold the Board accountable through a vote at the Board's AGM.
Yes
The BOD are more interested in personal perks of their position than being a visionary for the club.
Sack them all or at least have them put forward to Webb what they have done in the last 2-3 years to deserve staying on
We need people who know how to run a SUCCESSFUL multimillion sporting club not old ex dinosaurs in for their own perks and free tickets for the family

possm

Coach
If it's Furner he will only be a patsy and only for a couple of years whilst the club works out its next in house succession plan.

Griffin on the other hand could be around for 5-6 years if not longer and get us into a "premiership window" situation for a couple of years and possibly that does not sit well with some board members for some reason.

I still believe that Millward is the sleeper in all of this and could well be the "stalking horse" for the position in the chook raffle after this one.
I'm absolutely sure that a backroom deal which has Millward as 'Football' director and Young as head coach is there ready and waiting for the Board to approve. But this time I doubt the members on the Board have the guts to make another huge mistake. The egg on their face for extending Mary is still fresh.

Como Connection

First Grade

Possm, as I understand that situation, the Steelers sold their share of the JV and as such St.George had on involvement.
CC

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
It is mate, it’s way worse in my opinion. I’d add the 1971, 75, Grand Finals, semis every year: 67- 72,3,5,6,80,83 & 84 to your list . Least the Dragons were in the mix. Proud times!

Apart from 77 & 79 the GF’s that I only really ‘expected’ to win was in 99 and possibly 85. Saints did well to get there in 71, 92 and 93 were both good efforts, 96 was a miracle, so I wasn’t too grief stricken; proud that they got there really.

You then had hope and expectations that the club would deliver and usually did. This current state is pergatory in comparison and so bloody frustrating as it could be way better. Looking forward to the changing fortunes!

i still remember the night of the 2010 GF. After a long day and night I remember wanting to go home and sleep but I pulled through and soaked it all in thinking I’d better make the most of it as I may never ever see something like it again. God I wish I was wrong.

SBD82

Coach
Some of the comments in this thread suggest that the board members are an accurate representation of the fan base.

Thank god there’s a younger generation of supporters who have only ever supported the JV, and don’t exhibit this bitterness and sense of entitlement. May the club grow strong on the back of them.

Gareth67

First Grade
It is mate, it’s way worse in my opinion. I’d add the 1971, 75, Grand Finals, semis every year: 67- 72,3,5,6,80,83 & 84 to your list . Least the Dragons were in the mix. Proud times!

Apart from 77 & 79 the GF’s that I only really ‘expected’ to win was in 99 and possibly 85. Saints did well to get there in 71, 92 and 93 were both good efforts, 96 was a miracle, so I wasn’t too grief stricken; proud that they got there really.

You then had hope and expectations that the club would deliver and usually did. This current state is pergatory in comparison and so bloody frustrating as it could be way better. Looking forward to the changing fortunes!

They certainly were proud times Inisai . I recall back in 1967 when so many said “ well the Saints run is over “ - yes the halcyon years were indeed gone , but the Red and Whites still made every semi-final for years after , not to forget the G.F. on 1971 against the rabbitohs . So the team and club were still,among the best in the game .

But now the lean years are upon us and the supporters from those years can recognize just how far the team , club has sunk . To say that it is heartbreaking would be an understatement , however we must suck it in and hope for better days ahead in the not too distant future .

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Some of the comments in this thread suggest that the board members are an accurate representation of the fan base.

Thank god there’s a younger generation of supporters who have only ever supported the JV, and don’t exhibit this bitterness and sense of entitlement. May the club grow strong on the back of them.

I don’t get what you’re saying. The board is happy to underachieve year in and year out, whilst the fan base want to have a competitive team that they can be proud of. All teams are under the same salary cap (apparently) so all teams are ENTITLED to a bit of success here and there. Not every 30 odd years.

And when it comes to the younger generation, I’m sure they don’t want to follow a shit club either.

Maddragon99

Juniors
i still remember the night of the 2010 GF. After a long day and night I remember wanting to go home and sleep but I pulled through and soaked it all in thinking I’d better make the most of it as I may never ever see something like it again. God I wish I was wrong.

I did exactly the same thing

J.moz

Juniors
As we stand now we are St.george Win corporation . If Wincorp ever want to move on it has been said they are interested in the new soccer franchise playing out of win stadiam.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I don’t get what you’re saying. The board is happy to underachieve year in and year out, whilst the fan base want to have a competitive team that they can be proud of. All teams are under the same salary cap (apparently) so all teams are ENTITLED to a bit of success here and there. Not every 30 odd years.

And when it comes to the younger generation, I’m sure they don’t want to follow a shit club either.
He’s saying that the board & some of the fan base look after their own interests and hang on to the past.

Any fan 21 or under has only ever known the JV.

Even fans under 38 have known the JV for longer than a stand alone st George or Illawarra.

Hell, anyone younger than 41 has never seen a stand-alone st George premiership.

Considering the average age of the population is 37, it means the majority of Australians would have known the JV more than the stand-alone clubs..

The future is stronger together than apart.

Maddragon99

Juniors

I get your point but 20yrs & one Premiership of the JV doesn’t compare to the 100yrs (next year) of the Red V

the Steelers were always a proud gutsy team but they didn’t bring any history of success to the JV.

4 out of the 10 immortals are Dragons

it’s only right that the St George side of the board should carry greater influence.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
He’s saying that the board & some of the fan base look after their own interests and hang on to the past.

Any fan 21 or under has only ever known the JV.

Even fans under 38 have known the JV for longer than a stand alone st George or Illawarra.

Hell, anyone younger than 41 has never seen a stand-alone st George premiership.

Considering the average age of the population is 37, it means the majority of Australians would have known the JV more than the stand-alone clubs..

The future is stronger together than apart.
There’s Absolutely nothing wrong with hanging onto the past and being proud of the team's past achievements.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There’s Absolutely nothing wrong with hanging onto the past and being proud of the team's past achievements.
I completely agree..

But the past achievements form part of the fabric of the club as it stands now.

But the view of some that jettisoning half the club will automatically bring more success is misguided.

What we should be doing is leveraging the history to inspire the future, rather than blaming one half for the failure of both.