What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Split

Gareth67

First Grade
However as Blood Shot Eyes has pointed out in his post - this is not new , nor is it earth shattering news . We have been aware of the discord among the J.V. for quite some time.

However there is one aspect of the Joint Venture that I believe has been the infection in the wound since coming onboard with the Dragons . Correct me if I am wrong , but is it not the WIN corporation itself whom are making the FOOTBALL CLUBS DECISIONS and not the representatives of the Illawarra football club ?

Quite simply we have a corporation whom is all about profits and knows jack-shat about rugby league and to make matters worse the Illawarra side ( which is the WIN corporation in disguise ) is in turn guided by the whims of its owner - none other than the Gordon’s .

Old Timer

Coach
They’re losses though.

Success would be winning them.

We made the GF in 99 but I don’t consider that a success for the JV.
Well you do get very animated after a lame duck win or 2 against predominantly irrelevant teams whilst in reality we are not in contention to make the GF Let alone win it

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I have no issue with the merger and it has benefited Both sides.

It is the pig headed board of both entities that keeps us from being a powerhouse.

I can assure you not one company board is always in agreeable or in line with each other. But when it starts to effect the football club and it’s playing group is when those that don’t have the interest of the team at heart should be moved on without fail.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well you do get very animated after a lame duck win or 2 against predominantly irrelevant teams whilst in reality we are not in contention to make the GF Let alone win it
You don’t get excited when we win?

It shouldn’t matter if it’s against a team coming last or playing in the grand final - winning the game is what it’s about.

The more games you win, the better.

You win the comp, that’s the best.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Id take a few losing GFs and regular top 8 instead of the shit we have had in the last 9 years thats for sure
This is true.. But they’re still unfulfilled seasons if you don’t lift the trophy..

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Id take a few losing GFs and regular top 8 instead of the shit we have had in the last 9 years thats for sure

after suffering the heartache of losing the 85, 92, 93, 96 and especially the 99 GFs. Not to mention the semi final losses of 97, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2015, and 2018 I’m not sure if being as shit as we currently are is as bad.

Mjab

Juniors

It is the pig headed board of both entities that keeps us from being a powerhouse.

I can assure you not one company board is always in agreeable or in line with each other. But when it starts to effect the football club and it’s playing group is when those that don’t have the interest of the team at heart should be moved on without fail.
Fully agree

In the late 90s with many clubs struggling and StG in trouble I wasnt against the merger , seemed like a natural fit and sensible choice . I didnt disagree at the time
Better than the Perth Dragons or some Shit or The Northern Eagles!!! Poor bastards

Theoretically it should have been a match in heaven

However Fwits where chosen to control the entity , Fwits on the board only intested in themselves and there position. people without the required skills to essentially maneovre a multi million dollar company which it what clubs are. Jobs for old boys with no skill set to be a visionary director (Oh sorry I forgot Fat Albert!!) Many clubs not just us dont get it and have problematic boards Parra Dogs Tigers etc

Any competant business would not sign multimillion contracts with no KPIs , sign loser players and coaches and fail year after year. 1-2 years not making final your sacked .

We are not alone other clubs are screwed too

The BOD needs a clean out , with competent visionary people not Doust and Fat Albert and Im sure many others . Its these people not the merger that is at fault IMO

Mjab

Juniors
after suffering the heartache of losing the 85, 92, 93, 96 and especially the 99 GFs. Not to mention the semi final losses of 97, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2015, and 2018 I’m not sure if being as shit as we currently are is as bad.
Disagree

sure shattering loses on the day but at least we were there , we had many great wins thru those seasons and a proud club and supporter base

We have shattering losses , tedious unimaginative football week in and week out for years now with no hope of even getting close to finals

I know what Id choose

Old Timer

Coach
You don’t get excited when we win?

It shouldn’t matter if it’s against a team coming last or playing in the grand final - winning the game is what it’s about.

The more games you win, the better.

You win the comp, that’s the best.
I way up the result as to the position we find ourselves in as to whether I enjoy or not.

If winning a few games in lack lustre displays against very meagre opposition is what keeps the status quo as has been the case for the last 9 years then no I don't get excited about a win I just accept it and try to move on.

When we play stylish football that thrill the fans and that gives us true hope for the future I not only enjoy the wins I have been known to enjoy the effort despite losing.

In fact for me I have enjoyed the games we have played in some of our losses much more than some of the style of games we have played in some of our wins.

We are so poor as this moment in time that I would rather be finding out more about what we have got rather than trying to scratch out a few wins with that which we know is not good enough.

Mjab

Juniors
Sadly the last 12-18 months I have actually prefered a loss so that we can rid ourself of the Peanut.
I hoped more nails in his coffin. I would accept the loses for the long term greater good.
Compared to before say 2017 I would have never wanted a loss , I did love every win .
About a year after the semi loss to souths I realised Mary was a joke who could never get us anywhere and I wanted him gone. then another Fing extension to a Fool broke me and I wanted him gone .

When he was sacked i was happy , there was hope for a brighter future and I wanted more wins again.
And Im hopeful in the long term now , apprehensive in the short term with no serious expection of top 4 soon , just a better showing and more entertaining a style of footy. With a better coach and a better roster to move forward from the last few years of utter shit.

Just my personal thoughts

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I way up the result as to the position we find ourselves in as to whether I enjoy or not.

If winning a few games in lack lustre displays against very meagre opposition is what keeps the status quo as has been the case for the last 9 years then no I don't get excited about a win I just accept it and try to move on.

When we play stylish football that thrill the fans and that gives us true hope for the future I not only enjoy the wins I have been known to enjoy the effort despite losing.

In fact for me I have enjoyed the games we have played in some of our losses much more than some of the style of games we have played in some of our wins.

We are so poor as this moment in time that I would rather be finding out more about what we have got rather than trying to scratch out a few wins with that which we know is not good enough.
I cheer when we win.

I cheer louder when we win big matches.

Winning a game is a great feeling. I don’t push that immediate feeling to the side due to long term concerns or worries.

There are bigger things in life to fuss over than issues that are out of my control.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sadly the last 12-18 months I have actually prefered a loss so that we can rid ourself of the Peanut.
I hoped more nails in his coffin. I would accept the loses for the long term greater good.
As much as I wanted Voldemort gone, I could never wish for the team to lose..

When we did lose, I just used the “one more nail” philosophy as a way to soften the blow.

The only issue was by the end of his tenure, the coffin was more nail than wood..

Warabrook saint

Juniors

To busy competing with each other instead of competing against the opposition

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It is mate, it’s way worse in my opinion. I’d add the 1971, 75, Grand Finals, semis every year: 67- 72,3,5,6,80,83 & 84 to your list . Least the Dragons were in the mix. Proud times!

Apart from 77 & 79 the GF’s that I only really ‘expected’ to win was in 99 and possibly 85. Saints did well to get there in 71, 92 and 93 were both good efforts, 96 was a miracle, so I wasn’t too grief stricken; proud that they got there really.

You then had hope and expectations that the club would deliver and usually did. This current state is pergatory in comparison and so bloody frustrating as it could be way better. Looking forward to the changing fortunes!

Last edited:

Latest posts