What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bobby KEYES

2 True Blues

Coach
Just thought this might interest some of the Jets supporters:

Girlfriend of mine works as a nurse at Martyn Claver nursin home at Leura.
The other day they were havin a football jersey day where the staff wear football jerseys to work instead of their usuall attire.

I leant her one of my Jets jerseys and told her to expect a response from some of the aged residents.

This was achieved with many bed bound Jets supporters engagin in converstaion and smiles all around about the jersey, which I am told was the favourite jersey of the day.

However one of the residents aged 88 that she looks after was really happy to see the royal Blue jersey as he is Thommas KEYES, cousin of the famous Bob KEYES, who played 169 games for the Jets from the early 1960's till about 1970.

Bob started at the club as winger however played mostly in the centres, teamin up with Chicca MOORE to make a formidable combination. Bob came to the club with Jack GIBSON whom Tom also had fond memories of. Bobby played City/Country and for the state team, however to a lot of peoples surprise missed out on a Kangeroo jersey when expected to get a run for the national side.

Apparently he is now aged 73 and owns a city based Pub in the Rocks area.

Thommas was wrapped to see the jersey and did not stop talkin about it with her.

Apparently he doesnt get many visitors and his health is leaving him, and doesnt get around that well these days.

It was great that the jersey brought back some special memories for him on the day. Thommy stated " I used to go to Henson every Sunday without fail. They sure have a lovely spot at Henson Park. " and was smiling for most of the day.

Jeffles

Bench
Top story.

The pub Bobby Keyes owns is The Fortune of War. It's on George St across the road from the Museum of Contemporary Art. His name is up there on the glass as licensee.

The pub used to have the old Tooths Beer ads that featured Rugby League paintings. On his pub it was (fittingly) Newtown v Easts but they have been replaced by other signs.

I thought Bobby Keyes played until 1973.

2 True Blues

Coach
Think he finished in 1970, however then went on to play in the winning reserve grade grand final team. He then had a short stint with Ryde Eastwood prior to retirement.

I just thought it was great that the jersey had the effect that it did on some of the oldies, whose day is usually pretty damn boring, and would have brought back some memories for a short moment, and a smile to their dial. Would have loved to have seen it myself actually.

parra pete

Referee
Bobby Keyes and Chicka Moore - a great centre combination for the Bluebags.. These blokes played when football WAS football.
Great memories of matches at Henson Park..great memories.
How about the days of Greg Ellis, Noel Dalton, Clarrie Jeffreys, Tony Brown, Ronny Wright, Dudley Towers... ah those were the days. I used to love matches between the Bluebags and Parramatta. I can still picture them now. Clearer than games played last year.

Jeffles

Bench
There were always business concerns dating back to the first Kangaroo tour. The League was nearly broke.

But it is more so about money these days. Read a Leagues Club annual report.

2 True Blues

Coach
Dont want to breach copywrite or anything but I photocopied the page out of the Newtown Jets Book, think it was page 77 and gave it to him the other week. He had stated that he had lost all of his old photos of Bob etc over the years. The old digger was absolutely wrapped.

Was wondering if the book is still available for sale at Henson etc, or where I might get another copy from.

Even better if the club could arrange a copy for him to have. Sure it would go a long way in making his day a whole lot brighter in between Bingo, Re runs of Frank SINATRA movies and the daily rub and scrub with a steel wool face washer.

But seriously, It would really make his day. My girlfriend said she hasnt seen him that happy for months as he was when he got that one page about Bob.......and the old black and white photo that went with the write up.......

2 True Blues

Coach
Well with the recent increase in popularity of Newtown and anything connected with them it would seem like a good idea to possibly re publish some more copies. Surely a matter for the author however they would sell like hotcakes on game day.

I heard a rumor a while back that he was going to update the current book with post season 2000 chapters.

Just a thought however I dont think anyone would disagree that it would not have a popular market at present.

Anyway. Looks like he'll have to make do with the one page then.

Jeffles

Bench
There was a whisper of getting the book updated with post 1992 chapters - ideally it would be ready for 2008. Unfortunately money is a big factor.

2 True Blues

Coach
Shame that you have to spend money sometimes in order to make it. However you have to have it in the first place....There does seem to be a market out there though.

2 True Blues

Coach
Great to see Bobby speaking to the team prior to the Balmain game last weekend. This legends from the past thing is a great incentive, and goes a LITTLE way towards letting the guys know what playing for Bluebags is all about, as without COL it would certainly be lacking, and I see this incentive from the club as "acknowledgement" of this lack of MURPH fact !!!, and that's why it now occurs before every game. Great incentive though !!!

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Wish we could get Phil Gould along for some pre match inspiration?

gus.jpg