What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonus of expanding the league

j5o6hn

Juniors
How much money have the AFL put into the Swans how much have they put into the Lions,how much are they throwing at NSW and QLD you got to expand,its the time frame,1 Perth then maybe SA,then the the NRL is looking at AFL type money for TV rights.
Just the time frame needs to be sorted

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL/WARL came out last year and stated that "an NRL team would be back in Perth by 2010". Personally I can't see it unless the NRL does some serious promotion work over the next 3 years here. More realistic would be NRL games 2007, WC games 2008 (announcement for team in 2011), NRL games 2009, SOO 3 2010, introduction 2011.

T to the T

Juniors
With Perth/Adelaide in the bag, the competition becomes more national. With a more national competition comes a better TV deal. So wouldn't the increase in a new TV deal for a 'National' competition such as which the AFL has recently got, more or less cover the costs of running the franchise/s?

As for Central Coast, I wouldn't like to see it happen unless it was at the expense of another NSW team. The market is saturated as it is, so maybe South Sydney and Cronulla could merge allowing a North Sydney and Central Coast side to particpate. Hypothetically speaking of course, but I feel Sydney can't sustain more that 7 teams (Taking into account Wollongong and Central Coast as well).

mattyg

Bench
2012 i would like to see an 18 team comp.

- New Teams: Perth & Wellington/Adelaide
- Relocated Sydney Team

That would give us a teams in the following cities:
- Sydney
- Gold Coast
- Brisbane
- Nth QLD
- Canberra
- Melbourne
- Newcastle
- Central Coast
- Woolongong
- Perth
- Adelaide/Wellington
- Auckland

Later down the track by maybe 2020 they could bring in the team that misses out from Wellington/Adelaide, and either a 2nd Brisbane team, Sth QLD or Sunshine Coast.

magpie_man

Juniors
Front-Rower said:
Magpie_Man why would the wests tigers consider moving when they have 3 leagues clubs?

While we are here once again talking about a national rugby league, I wonder if anybody actually understands that this an organisation by name and not nature.

Honestly, lets go and put a team in perth maybe one in adelaide, PNG, hobart, another one in NZ and south-eastern QLD, and watch the game die a slow death. Seriously doesn't anybody understand this is business and not some side show ally competition.

You just can't throw money at something and make it work. You have to be smart and strategically build the franchise. Not just donate $50 million to it and hope for the best, because you would soon be out of business. Ala Adelaide Rams, Western Reds, South Queensland Crushers.

You just don't do something for the sake of it and because the organisation is called the National Rugby League.
balmain leagues makes very little profit due to it's close proximity to star city.
wests campbelltown isn't overly profitable either.
the only leagues club that brings in significant revenue is wests ashfield, but even that is dwarfed by the parra, canterbury and penrith leagues clubs.
before the grand final win last year, the tigers weren't in a much better financial position than souths.

Steel Dragon

Bench
ideally you'd base a country team out of wagga or dubbo

the problem is that there wouldnt be enough support at the home games.
that and youd be eating into the development areas of the already established teams.

stitch6004

Juniors
the warl really want a team in perth by 2010 and are looking at having 3 nrl games here in 2007 and a world cup game in 2008.it might be an idea to bring an origin game to perth in the coming years to really give the game a shot in the arm in wa.the perth glory seem to be floundering.

Front-Rower

First Grade
stitch6004 said:
the warl really want a team in perth by 2010 and are looking at having 3 nrl games here in 2007 and a world cup game in 2008.it might be an idea to bring an origin game to perth in the coming years to really give the game a shot in the arm in wa.the perth glory seem to be floundering.

how about instead of trying to get 3 NRL games they go about getting some Test Matches between Australia and NZ or even PNG in Perth. Give the crowd a team they can actually cheer for instead of a team from the other side of the country.

I know if I were to go to the footy I'd rather cheer for Australia then some club team. From there you can gain intelligence about possible supporter numbers etc and actually implement a team succesfully.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Isn't Balmain leagues club being redeveloped?

Why should clubs move from Sydney? You're only giving other sports a leg up by doing this ie. out goes league team in comes AFL team. AFL is pushing hard for our market. How many supporters were lost to AFL/union who use to support the North Sydney Bears? When we had 11 teams in Sydney it was too many, now we have 9 and it's still too many.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
LeagueXIII said:
Isn't Balmain leagues club being redeveloped?

Why should clubs move from Sydney? You're only giving other sports a leg up by doing this ie. out goes league team in comes AFL team. AFL is pushing hard for our market. How many supporters were lost to AFL/union who use to support the North Sydney Bears? When we had 11 teams in Sydney it was too many, now we have 9 and it's still too many.
Sydney clubs shouldn't be a protected species and yes, nine teams is still too many. Historic BRL/ QC teams have been dying out yet a disgrace like Souths are still taking up a space in the NSWRL, sorry I mean NRL, only because of misplaced sentimentality.

Forgive me for being bitter but the fact is that Brisbane still only has one NRL team (and there are only two teams to represent the third biggest and fastest growing state in Australia) when it could easily support more.

T to the T

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
Sydney clubs shouldn't be a protected species and yes, nine teams is still too many. Historic BRL/ QC teams have been dying out yet a disgrace like Souths are still taking up a space in the NSWRL, sorry I mean NRL, only because of misplaced sentimentality.

Forgive me for being bitter but the fact is that Brisbane still only has one NRL team (and there are only two teams to represent the third biggest and fastest growing state in Australia) when it could easily support more.
I agree Brisbane needs another team pronto, however will the Broncos allow another team to be on their turf? It's all good another team needed in this fast growing city but if the one club there tries to flatten the franchise, then the exercise is pointless:( But another team is needed in SEQ as in Perth. Then maybe Adelaide and Wellington to take it up to 20. But another club to NSW would be farcical. The market is already saturated. I am not saying that another club should be axed, just for a Central Coast/North Sydney team, there needs to be a little 'go' elsewhere with a merger between 2 failing Sydney sides.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Sydney is the jewel in the crown of Australian sport you weaken league here and watch the corporate money disappear. Why do you think the AFL would spend $100 million on Sydney?:crazy:
You can have 10 teams in Brisbane but you won't get 500 million from TV rights. WE MUST have a balance between the traditional Sydney clubs (9-10 teams) and expansion (9-10 clubs).
Where do you think all the supporters of extinct or merged clubs go? These people are already rl supporters/customers why risk losing them?:crazy:

t-ba

Post Whore
Lockyer4President! said:

You might want to talk to one of your old CEO's about that situation L4P ;-)

*Edit*: SEQLD needs two more sides imo. A Northern Brisbane/Sunshine Coast Identity (Redcliffe) and a Western Brisbane/Darling Downs One (based out of Ipswich).

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Isn't the reason that Brisbane have only one team because the Broncos wanted sole ownership of the area. Didn't they sign some deal that protected them against another team being located here? If so when does it run out?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Forgive my ignorance but what would be the advantage of another Brisbane team? Wouldn't it just reduce the crowds and corporate support the Broncos have?

Would it increase the number of kids playing in Q'land or number of people watching on TV or attract new fans to the game that do not currently go to the Broncos (or possibly Titans next year)?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
t-ba said:
You might want to talk to one of your old CEO's about that situation L4P ;-)

*Edit*: SEQLD needs two more sides imo. A Northern Brisbane/Sunshine Coast Identity (Redcliffe) and a Western Brisbane/Darling Downs One (based out of Ipswich).
I'm aware of the way the Broncos basically kicked the Chargers out of the comp and how they made everything difficult for the Crushers but I'd like to think that they aren't bigger than the game anymore.

As you said, what we need is a Sunshine Coast team based out of Redcliffe, a South Brisbane team (preferably based out of the Redlands) and a West Brisbane team based out of Ipswich.

That would be perfect, but it'll never happen because there are still too many Sydney clubs. It would also lock the NRL into a 22 team comp if they still want to have Wellington, Central Coast and Perth in there without relocating a Sydney team or two.

Perth Red said:
Forgive my ignorance but what would be the advantage of another Brisbane team? Wouldn't it just reduce the crowds and corporate support the Broncos have?

Would it increase the number of kids playing in Q'land or number of people watching on TV or attract new fans to the game that do not currently go to the Broncos (or possibly Titans next year)?

New teams will bring in new fans and more money, Brisbane is starved of top level rugby league (and union and AFL and soccer but that's beside the point).

Imagine if Sydney had only the Roosters to represent them, without the Rabbitohs, Sharks, Dragons, Eels, Bulldogs, Sea-eagles, Panthers and Tigers. Half of Sydney wouldn't even bother following the NRL if that was the case, which is the position Brisbane fans have been in since 1988.