What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boredom buster

Blair

Coach
'Their Greatest Game?'

I'll start with Epalahame Lauaki, in that epic draw against Easts in 2007 (31-all at the SFS). I wish I was there. We'd found our next Iafeta Paleaaesina, or so we'd thought.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Just watching the Bears v Broncos 94 Game. Can remember exactly where I was watching it nearly 26 years ago. Fenech, Larson, Florimo, Moore what a pack, Seers, Hoppe and Taylor not bad in the backline either

I miss the Bears. Next season will be the 100 year anniversary of their first premiership and the year after will be the 100 year anniversary of their last. Amazing to think they played 77 years without another grand final appearance

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Something a bit different, who is the first player you think of when you think of a club

Brisbane Broncos : Langer

Canberra Raiders : Meninga

Canterbury Bulldogs : Lamb

Cronulla Sharks : Ettingshausen

Eastern suburbs/Sydney City: Fittler

Gold coast Titans: Prince

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles : Menzies

Melbourne Storm : Smith

Newcastle knights : Andrew Johns

North Queensland cowboys : Thurston

New Zealand Warriors : Jones

Parramatta Eels : Sterling

Penrith Panthers : Geyer

South Sydney Rabbitohs: Trindall

St George dragons : Blacklock

West Tigers : Marshall

Illawarra Steelers : Wishart

Balmain Tigers : Elias

West’s Magpies : Raudonikis

North Sydney Bears : Hall

A couple of random ones in there for me and 1 bloke I never saw play

Blair

Coach
Just watching the Bears v Broncos 94 Game. Can remember exactly where I was watching it nearly 26 years ago. Fenech, Larson, Florimo, Moore what a pack, Seers, Hoppe and Taylor not bad in the backline either

I miss the Bears. Next season will be the 100 year anniversary of their first premiership and the year after will be the 100 year anniversary of their last. Amazing to think they played 77 years without another grand final appearance

There's so much sentimentality around that club. Is it just because they're no longer in first grade? I don't think so. It was their style of play and their personalities. Their home ground had broad appeal too, as you'll know, it's a major junction area. The ground's still there, of course, and when you pass it you always look at it and remember.

I miss them too.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
'Their Greatest Game?'

I'll start with Epalahame Lauaki, in that epic draw against Easts in 2007 (31-all at the SFS). I wish I was there. We'd found our next Iafeta Paleaaesina, or so we'd thought.

Arguable- he tore Manly to pieces at Brookie one game as well, scoring several tries. But other than those two games, generally a plodder.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
'Their Greatest Game?'

I like this one. Will have a think and contribute

Big Marn

Juniors
Greatest game is too hard basket for me. If we are talking about team rather than player these pop up for the Warriors.
Beating Melbourne to make the Final against Manly.
Or the 2003 semi against Doggies.
or the other Melbourne game featuring mr Witt.
even though we played poorly for most of the game, the draw with Dogs when we were down 24-8 with 5 mins to go was amazing. If only Stacey had got that last conversion over.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Grant Rovelli v the Titans in 07. Scored a hat trick of tries, laid another one with a kick, should have laid on two more if not for the would-be try scorers not forcing the ball properly. Andrew Johns wouldn't have handled things better than Rovelli did that night.

https://thiswarriorslife.com/2019/04/05/flashback-friday-rovelli-slays-fledgling-titans/

You've got me thinking now about other players who were pretty average, even poor, in general but had their best game for us.

1. Lowrie. His instinctive flick-pass in our twenty sent the Flying Fish the length of the field, which was a great sight. It was against the Roosters at the SFS and we looked to be winning it, only to lose it at the end. Typical.

2. Kemp. Denan that is. It's 2009 and Stacey looks to have made the right call in regard to his comeback, as he tore through the Manly defence in a thriller at Brookvale. That late, match-winning, try, needed a sideline conversion as the scores were locked up at 24-all. Up stepped Denan, on debut, and he banged it over. Never looked like missing.

3. Nielsen. Let me think. I'm not being a smart-alec, I just need some time here.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You've got me thinking now about other players who were pretty average, even poor, in general but had their best game for us.

1. Lowrie. His instinctive flick-pass in our twenty sent the Flying Fish the length of the field, which was a great sight. It was against the Roosters at the SFS and we looked to be winning it, only to lose it at the end. Typical.

2. Kemp. Denan that is. It's 2009 and Stacey looks to have made the right call in regard to his comeback, as he tore through the Manly defence in a thriller at Brookvale. That late, match-winning, try, needed a sideline conversion as the scores were locked up at 24-all. Up stepped Denan, on debut, and he banged it over. Never looked like missing.

3. Nielsen. Let me think. I'm not being a smart-alec, I just need some time here.

Love it.

Ryan Shortland - think it might have been his debut, v Newcastle. Scored two tries, looked every inch a star for the future. Played four more games.

I also recall Lolohea having a couple of stunners at fullback, but never being able to sustain being picked there..

sup42

Juniors
Canberra Raiders : Chicka Fergusson

Canterbury Bulldogs : Terry Lamb

Cronulla Sharks : Peachy senior.

Eastern suburbs/Sydney City: Brad Fittler.

Gold coast Titans: Scott Prince

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles : Ian Robert's.

Melbourne Storm : Bill Slater.

Newcastle knights : The Cheif.

North Queensland cowboys : Thurston.

New Zealand Warriors : Jones.

Parramatta Eels :
Cpt Cayless

Penrith Panthers : Mark Gyer.

South Sydney Rabbitohs:
Terry Hermanson.

St George dragons :
Mary Mcgreggor
West Tigers :
Steve Roach.

A few pre merge players eg Balmain Tigers, but still rate them over players from both sides of the merge.

My list is really who I enjoyed seeing play as opposed to necessarily the technically best players.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Not sure if my one qualifies, but I always thought Misi Taulapapa was going to be Manu's long term wing partner. Had a good carry and was very aggressive. Played a few games, looked strong to me from memory and then got sacked.

Malo Solomona too, scored a hat-trick against the dogs one night and then never seen again basically

Rich102

Staff member
Jeez our management has a lot to answer for. The Bermuda Triangle of RL players.

Meth

Staff member
Remember that game v the Dragons after the Stupid 6. A few players played their best that day. Jeff Robson comes to mind. Lillyman was insane that day too

Blair

Coach
Remember that game v the Dragons after the Stupid 6. A few players played their best that day. Jeff Robson comes to mind. Lillyman was insane that day too

Oh yeah, you're right. It could've been a new beginning. Shaun Lane debuted that game too. Hoffman and Johnson clapped the team off the field at the end. Two senior players announcing a new era...