What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bott shines for Broncos

Kaz

junior
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Bott-shines-for-Broncoss/2005/02/13/1108229830525.html

Lightning winger Leon Bott grabbed a hat-trick of tries as an inexperienced Broncos side beat South Sydney's premier league side 48-12 in Bundaberg.

A big crowd saw Brisbane race in nine tries to two with the exciting Bott grabbing a treble including one in which he fended off three defenders.

Forward Neville Costigan made a big impression, pushing his claims for a start in Brisbane's NRL opener against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium on March 13 with two powerhouse tries and a tough all-round display.

But it was the slick Bott, a schoolboys sprint champion, who caught the eye for an inexperienced Broncos side which contained just three players with first grade experience.

Halfback Brett Seymour survived his comeback game following last season's knee reconstruction and without being outstanding was solid for the first half before being replaced.

Young five-eighth Aaron Barba showed a ton of promise in the No.6 jumper for Brisbane scoring twice and delivering the final pass for two other Brisbane tries.

Barba completed a 110-metre try near the end of the second quarter after winger Gideon Mzembe from Mozambique fielded a kick centimetres off his own dead ball line and wrong footed the defence before offloading to centre Liam Campbell, a local Bundaberg product, who sent Barba away for the try.

Broncos led 22-0 at halftime and 42-0 after a magic Costigan pass gave Bott his third try of the night.

South Sydney's Premier League side scored two late tries in the final quarter to Lydan Maitua and Michael Moran to finally get onto the scoreboard.

DIEHARD

----
Yea apparently he had a blinder. I look forward to seeing him play this season.

I have a good feeling about this year.

Hunt, Stagg, Costigan, Toopu....we have some top quality young talent coming through in droves.

It is going to be the Broncos year, I can feel it!

I would have loved to have seen Bott's 110 metre try!

Kaz

junior
DIEHARD said:
I have a good feeling about this year.

It could be a better year next season.

In the Sunday Telegraph, they 'reported' the Broncos have offered SBW a contract. :roll: :lol:

But in the same paper they reported the Dogs are close to signing him.

DIEHARD said:
I would have loved to have seen Bott's 110 metre try!

Hopefully they show it on the sports shows tonight.

DIEHARD

----
I'm not one for hype for young talent.

But the quality of the young guns we have is ridiculous.

And all the other clubs are writing the Broncos off as prentenders!

We are just going to sledge hammer them all and come from no where.

Put your money on the Broncos!

Broncodroid

Juniors
Great news for Brisbane and it looks as though we may be able to sprout about the depth in the backline as much as do about the forwards. If Bott continues with scinitllating preseason form, Bennett has some tough but welcomed questions when naming the line-up for Round 1.

rugged

Juniors
I hope Bott can be in the top Broncos squad for this year and have his contract upgraded or something. Would be a good reward for taking the small Broncos contract over the large Roosters one.

Big Pete

Referee
I wouldn't mind seeing him when the Broncos are losing players due to Origin and so on.

I agree he should be rewarded for his loyalty sooner or later...but when have the Broncos ever rewarded loyalty?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Halfback Brett Seymour survived his comeback game following last season's knee reconstruction and without being outstanding was solid for the first half before being replaced.

Yet the Sunday Mail reports his game as outstanding.

I don't have a source but it was in yesterdays Sunday Mail. Interesting!

UltimateJackA$$

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Kaz said:
winger Gideon Mzembe from Mozambique

Anyone got anymore info on this kid?

Mzembe is 19 yrs old and went to Ipswich Grammar. He represented the school in Union and track and field but picked league because he loves it and Wendell Sailor is his idol.

He played for Ipswich Jets last year and Cyril Connell saw him play and then he signed with the Broncos.

The Colonel

Immortal
UltimateJackA$$ said:
The Colonel said:
Kaz said:

Mzembe is 19 yrs old and went to Ipswich Grammar. He represented the school in Union and track and field but picked league because he loves it and Wendell Sailor is his idol.

He played for Ipswich Jets last year and Cyril Connell saw him play and then he signed with the Broncos.

So while he is from Mozambique he's been in Australia for a while? I just thought from what they were saying was that he was just new from the country....

Kaz

junior
The Colonel said:
So while he is from Mozambique he's been in Australia for a while? I just thought from what they were saying was that he was just new from the country....

We had to say that to put certain teams off track, he then may have become one of their juniors. :lol:

The Colonel

Immortal
Kaz said:
The Colonel said:

We had to say that to put certain teams off track, he then may have become one of their juniors. :lol:

I was thinking he's done well to come from Mozambique and make the Qld Cup side..... :lol:and not been plastered all over the paper.

Ghoulies

Bench
Mr Angry said:

Yet the Sunday Mail reports his game as outstanding.

I don't have a source but it was in yesterdays Sunday Mail. Interesting!

I read that too, but I suppose we can expect that sort of honesty from the Courier Mail :roll:

Kiwi

First Grade
Will Bennett do a Hunt and name Bott on the wing for round 1?

It's a seriously fast backline with

1 - Hunt
2 - Bott
3 - Berrigan
4 - Hodges/Tate
5 - Hodge/Tate

And every single one can break tackles.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I am not sure Bott nor Tupou will be an option off the bench, but that's just me. Tupou and Bott will fight it out for one wing position with Tate on one wing and Hodges in the centres...you don't think we paid Hodges to come up here and start in the lower grades nor are we going to dump a test player like Berrigan or Tate for 2 unproven wingers.

David Brent

Juniors
i made the trip to bundaberg and the sunday mail match report was on the money. i watched seymour very closely because i was really interested to see how he would go with his knee. he really did control things beautifully. he sat back and directed while the boys worked their way up the field, and then when they moved into the attacking zone, he took over. whenever he ran to the line the defence held off him and he always looked as though he was about to do something brilliant. he really was a class above.

barba might have scored two tries but he was johnny on the spot for both of them. he also made plenty of mistakes with ball in hand. his defence was ordinary and that's why he couldn't get a run with penrith. no first grade coach wants a speedbump defending three in from the wing - a position where you can expect to make 20 plus tackles a game.

don't get too excited about bott just yet either. he's only played two games of league apparently and you can bet your bottom dollar that bennett won't risk a player with that type of inexperience until he has proved he can consistently perform well in the queensland cup. his pace is unquestionable but positional sense is something that takes time to learn and there is no better place to do that than with the clydesdales.

UltimateJackA$$

Juniors
The Colonel said:
UltimateJackA$$ said:
The Colonel said:
Kaz said:

He came here when he was 6, so he's been in Australia for a while.

Latest posts