What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing Day Incident?

mozza91

Coach
What has Ross done wrong when in First Grade? Tries his guts out, does plenty of work and is a good finisher.

What has Hymel Hunt done to prove he’s any better?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m not against people coming back into society after doing the time but I’ve got a problem with the NRL allowing them back into the game and allowing them to be payed a 6-figure income and then all the people around the game and in the mainstream media carrying on about how brave they are and how they’re a role model for turning their life around i.e. Russell Packer & Matt Lodge to name a couple of examples.

Sorry but these guys can come back into society and go find another career outside of the public spotlight. Rugby League really doesn’t need these clowns and it’s an insult to the fans and also the 95% of players who keep their noses clean that there’s a bunch of players with serious assault charges still running around in the game.

If I was a player and the club I was playing for signed a bloke who had been in jail for curb stomping someone or breaking into an apartment and assaulting someone then I would be livid, especially if they were being paid more than me. I’m actually surprised that we don’t see more backlash from players about this stuff. I wouldn’t want to turn up to work every day with a guy who almost killed someone, and if one of my friends did it I would probably never speak to them again so I’m surprised that the players all seem to be mates with these blokes knowing what their off-field history is.

The NRL need to have a no tolerance policy for assaults of any nature and they need to have it as of right now especially if they want the game to survive another 10 years. Because at this stage people are becoming more and more disenfranchised with Rugby League.

Spot On

Coach
As per usual, it's head in the sand stuff from the NRL mate. Todd is on holidays .

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
at this stage people are becoming more and more disenfranchised with Rugby League.
RL administrators main error has been pandering to the PC crowd. No punches, no shoulder charge etc etc altering the game to such an extent it barely resembles the game I fell in love with as a kid. The trajectory in all this ? Touch footy in 50 years. ( but dont touch too hard )

The rusted on fans of the game love its conflict, aggression, tribalism. Veering to the centre to appease little Johny's soccer Mum has destroyed the great game. If they don't like the game because a human being who once made a mistake is playing it then so be it. Take Johnny to the soccer instead. That's where little Johnny belongs.

Would I want Lodge or Packer to represent my club? - No, but I would never begrudge a person who is given a second chance to become a better person. These guys are a cross section of society, a reflection of society and apparently society doesnt like what it sees in the mirror.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
RL administrators main error has been pandering to the PC crowd. No punches, no shoulder charge etc etc altering the game to such an extent it barely resembles the game I fell in love with as a kid. The trajectory in all this ? Touch footy in 50 years. ( but dont touch too hard )

The rusted on fans of the game love its conflict, aggression, tribalism. Veering to the centre to appease little Johny's soccer Mum has destroyed the great game. If they don't like the game because a human being who once made a mistake is playing it then so be it. Take Johnny to the soccer instead. That's where little Johnny belongs.

Would I want Lodge or Packer to represent my club? - No, but I would never begrudge a person who is given a second chance to become a better person. These guys are a cross section of society, a reflection of society and apparently society doesnt like what it sees in the mirror.

I agree with you to an extent about the game becoming too PC which can be a negative but I don’t think it relates to my point about guys committing serious assaults and being allowed to play in the NRL.

Second chances exist in our society and I have no problem with these guys rehabilitating their lives and becoming better people which by all accounts they have both done... However being a professional athlete does come with it’s responsibilities whether you agree or not and not assaulting people is one of those responsibilities and is a non-negotiable in my book.

Also out of interest I would like to know where you draw the line? Russell Packer almost killed someone, I remember reading about it after it happened and it was brutal. Surely by now in Australia we all know how badly even a single punch can go. He’s probably lucky that he didn’t give someone brain damage or a permanent disability. If he had done that would you be ok with him being back in the game? What if he actually did kill the guy and had then done some time for it as manslaughter and was then allowed back into the game at a later stage? Would you be ok with it because he regrets it and has turned his life around?

If you or one of your friends or family were the victim of an assault like that by a player would you be ok with them getting a second crack at being an NRL player because they’ve come back and said a bunch of stuff about how sorry they are? Would you still watch the NRL and be invested as a fan after letting that person back in again?

While I agree that taking some of the on field physicality out of the game is probably going a bit too far I think that violence is a genuine problem in our society and I don’t think you’d have to look too far to find someone that you know who’s been on the receiving end of it in their life. Putting professional sports on a pedestal and saying that it’s fine having all these guys with assault charges in our game does nothing to address that problem because kids grow up watching that stuff and think it’s ok.

Sorry for the long post, you may not initially agree with any of the above but it may be food for thought.

Knight Vision

First Grade
You do the crime you do the time. If the time's been done then the guys entitled to have a clean slate and new start in life. Sports people should be no different to regular working people. I'm sure if it was my loved one I'd feel different but I'm also sure I'd be acting on emotion without the benefit of intellect.

I'd like to know the stats on the percentage of violent crime committed by RL players v the rest of society. I wouldnt at all be surprised if they fair a little better.

Modern society is a place where murder is a form of entertainment in films, war is glorified and the people who fight it are heroes and against all the research over many decades young parents continue to hit their children, .wiring young minds to believe that violence brings about a positive outcome.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Professional athletes are different to regular people though, because playing for your club, state or country etc is an honour and a privilege and these guys get paid massive money to do it and one of the things that comes with that is that they’re in the public spotlight and there’s a responsibility to be role models for the next generation. If we don’t take that seriously then we won’t be part of the change that we want to see in society.

While the “doing the time” argument has some merit this is based on the assumption that our legal system is fair and equal which it’s not because the time you do is usually determined by how good your legal team is and most people out there in society can’t afford the same legal aid that an NRL player can. From memory Packer spent a couple of years behind bars & doing community work and Lodge spent a few weeks being detained in the USA before coming back and doing some community stuff and getting some professional help before coming back into the game a couple of years after the incident. Feel free to correct me on this but this is more a rough summary from memory.

For the record I know someone who has done far more time than either of the above two guys for a far lesser crime that didn’t even have anything to do with hurting someone and that person will probably never be able to get a high paying job or work for a major company again because they now have a criminal record for something silly they did when they were 18 that doesn’t even compare to what Packer and Lodge did. Yet these guys both did less time for brutally assaulting people and are both back in the game earning 6 figure salaries now.

I’m sorry but the “doing the time” argument doesn’t really stand up in a broken legal system where more often than not a person’s public stature and ability to afford good legal representation is what will determine their punishment.

Burwood

Bench
Players deserve a second chance in life- it just shouldn’t be in the NRL. Let them make a fresh start in another comp/sport or out in the real world.

Burwood

Bench
How would that penalty stack up compared with the Canberra Raiders sticking by Jack Wighton last year despite the fact he was handed a suspended jail sentence and fined after pleading guilty to five counts of assault following a drunken CBD rampage that was captured on CCTV footage?

This is what I don’t like. Gardner is- rightly so- looking to set very high standards off field standards at the club, and at the first sign of player misconduct, the media are already coming out with excuses as to why Moga shouldn't be shown the door.

Who gives a shit what Canberra have done in the past.