What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing Quiz

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
In relation to message number 12 by Atilla (if his answer is right)>

9. Les Darcy (tragic is an understatement)

I was always under the impression that Darcy was killed in a car accident in Sydney? I know he was only 20 or so when he died, but being in Memphis and dying of a tooth infection is certainly news to me.
I may be wrong too..

C

CanadianSteve

Darn, I think all the questions are answered already. Reading of Rocky Marciano's plane crash reminds me of a story about him I read once, probably in Sports Illustrated. It was said he would typically show up for speaking engagements, banquets, etc. in jeans and a t-shirt, so the organizers would take him out and buy him a suit before his appearance.

El Duque

Bench
Would the answer to 20 be Jack Broughton who's rules they fought under untill the Marquess of Queensbury Rules were drafted?

"was always under the impression that Darcy was killed in a car accident in Sydney? I know he was only 20 or so when he died, but being in Memphis and dying of a tooth infection is certainly news to me."
You may be getting Darcy mixed up with Dave Sands, who was another boxer from the Hunter who could have been a World champion but for an untimely death. Sands died in a car accident just north of Newcastle and is buried at Stockton, a suburb of Newcastle.

ex-manager

Juniors
According to a book I have, Les Darcy died of pneumonia in 1917 aged 21. A quarter of a million people linedthe funeral route for his burial in Maitland.

Gav,
I am acquainted with Les Darcy's nephew, Dr. Les Darcy (named after his famous uncle and born just a few years after his death).
Les is one of Australia's leading forensic psychiatrists and is the leading expert on his uncle.

I can tell you that Les Darcy has told me that Les Darcy died of septicaemia (blood poisioning) caused by an infected tooth which was broken in one of his last fights in Sydney.
A simple course of anti biotics would have saved his life.

Dr. Les Darcy also convinced me that Les Darcy was Australia's greatest ever boxer.
He was a middleweight who fought and defeated world ranked heavyweights during the depression when boxing was at its peak throughout the world.

The Darcy family all have great natural sporting ability. Dr Les is an A grade tennis player in his seventies. He beat me in a game when I was about 30 and a pretty fair tennis player, and he was over sixty.

I have been motor bike riding (trail riding) with his son and he left me for dead (he is now a police inspector) and his nephew is the best pool player i've ever seen. He was a finalist in an Australian titles.

El Duque

Bench
Very good quiz C.M.

Looking forward to Round 2. some time in the future.

I think we need some Ring Card Girls
emteeth.gif

V

Vertigo

Welcome back Cryptic.
Although I knew only a couple of the answers, I found the thread more on the informative side.
Vertigo.

Atilla

Juniors
Certainly well done El Duque, even though you recieved a little cyber help. I never would have guessed the last question in a million years. Didn't even think about using a search engine
emidea.gif

Outlaw, all the books that I've read which have mentioned Les Darcy, say that he sadly died of blood poisoning. As to your questioning of his death in Memphis, Shortly before his death he was in the USA (Memphis)to try and make an international name for himself and fight in NYC, because he was widely regarded during his time to not only as the best boxer in Australia, but also the most well known and best sporting athlete. Nobody even came close apparantley. Because he had previously refused to inlist in the Australian military whilst still in Australia, at a time when Australia joined the allied forces to fight in WWI, the New York Athletic Commission refused to issue him with a License to allow him to box. Darcy eventually decided to sighn an oath of alliance to the US army and joined the armed services, with the intention and promise of fighting in the country. Sadly though it never happened because shortly there after, he died of blood poisoning. His body was shipped home where he was mourned as a hero throughout this great country of ours.
GavBT, I'm curious to know which book it is you have which claims that Les Darcy died due to pneumonia?
I enjoyed the quiz very much also CM and I too look forward to the next one.
Cheers to all - Atilla

I hope to catch the next quiz from the begining Cryptic. I'm guessing I would have probably gotten 6 correct in this bunch.Welcome back from me also mate.
Cryptic. If it's not a hassle could you please see if you can help me on this threadWhat's a good read?I would appreciate it if you could offer me some assistance.
Atilla. I'm still hoping you can reply to the above thread also when you get the opportunity mate.
'fan-baller :eek:)

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Thanks for that Atilla. I guess I got my boxers mixed up...or I was thinking about something different altogether.
Bring on the next one CM. This was fun and like Virtigo said, it was good to learn some insider stuff about some boxers and boxing.
Good stuff matey.

ex-manager

Juniors
Atilla, the book I found the info from isThebook of Australia, just a guidebook who's author obviously wasn't very knowledgable about Les Darcy.

Latest posts