What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing

gUt

Coach
Five other shocking boxing decisions that should be overturned like Jeff Fenech vs Azumah Nelson

Australian boxing fans should be grateful.

A historic wrong against one of our own has been rectified.

Jeff Fenech has had his controversial WBC super featherweight title defeat to Azumah Nelson in 1991 overturned.

Fenech can now add the super featherweight title to his bantamweight, super bantamweight and featherweight crowns, putting him in rarefied air as one of the few four-weight world champions in boxing history alongside the likes of Thomas Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Durán, Pernell Whitaker and Roy Jones Junior, among others.

The Marrickville Mauler had to wait more than 30 years to get his result changed, but his is a rare case where justice appears to have been done.

After all, Fenech is far from alone in having been "robbed" by judges ringside.

As is the case with any subjective sport, not everyone is going to agree with every decision that's made.

And not every close fight is a robbery.

Styles make fights and some judges prefer certain styles to others.

Of course, historically, challengers have often had to do more than be just as good as the defending champion to take the belts, and it's an acknowledged challenge that home-town boxers will more often than not get tight decisions go their way.

But there have been some absolute stinkers in boxing's long and venerable history.

Given the WBC appears to be in a reflective, mood, here's a list of other matches that might need redressing with some retroactive judging.

continues...

Wizardman

First Grade
The biggest robbery I've ever viewed in boxing was the Holyfield v Lewis fight which was judged a draw. Lewis beat the absolute shit out of Holyfield that day.....and got robbed. To this day, I have not heard a pub groan as much as that fight.
I did not view the Fenech v Nelson fight.
Some people in MMA complain about decisions......but boxing is definitely more crude when it comes to judging. MMA is actually a difficult sport to judge......so many factors.

gUt

Coach
So Davis has pretty handily dispatched Garcia. Since Tyson Fury has bottled it against Usyk, lightweight is easily the best overall division to follow at the moment. Both the winner and the loser of the Haney/Lomo fight next month are capable of making exciting fights against half a dozen potential oppoents, Davis being the top of that list.

Nutz

Bench
Jack Brubaker is going to put Nikita Tszyu on the canvas more than once in this bout tomorrow.

Nutz

Bench
Jack Brubaker is going to put Nikita Tszyu on the canvas more than once in this bout tomorrow.
Tszyu too good. Wins by TKO.....So much for my fearless prediction.
I still don't like Nikita's awkward style.
We'll see what he's like when he fights a quality international.

blue bags

First Grade
Tyson Fury fights October 28
And Tim tzuy is a new Australian world champion. After Charlos belts were striped off him