What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd to quit club

Rod

Bench
Don't know if I've ever been less surprised to find out someone has depression.

Obviously sad for the bloke, hope he can get back on track again.

Haffa

Wish him all the best. As someone who went through a bout of depression after my marriage broke down I feel for the bloke. I'm sure he'll get the help required to sort himself out.

Spot On

Coach
Don't know if I've ever been less surprised to find out someone has depression.

Obviously sad for the bloke, hope he can get back on track again.

Agreed. Heard a talkback caller only yesterday suggesting he needs to seek help due to his behaviour and relationship/demeanour with the media. He thought the alarm bells had been ringing for a while. Seems as though he was right. (Not saying the attitude/relationship with the media causes depression)

Statistics say there are over 1 million Australians living with depression. He is far from alone. Big clap to him for realising he needs to address his issues.

Newy sure has eaten up, swallowed and spat out some big fish the past three years. Coincidence or a basket case of a club?

Noname36

First Grade
So...

One in jail
One in a spinal rehab unit
One in a mental rehab unit

...it's still only July guys...

His attitude to the media has all the hallmarks of oversensitivity. It is typical of depression. You believe every word that is said and written but go on the defensive because you want to avoid it at any cost. I have looked after many many people with clinical depression. It is a nightmare and very sad to see. You just have to be patient and understand it is very very individual and unique how it affects each person.

Spot On

Coach
No coach for 2015
Undecided ownership model going forward (no wonder Wests Group are not rushing in, why would you)
Disconnect with local community

Can only get better from here boys :sarcasm:

Spot On

Coach
His attitude to the media has all the hallmarks of oversensitivity. It is typical of depression. You believe every word that is said and written but go on the defensive because you want to avoid it at any cost. I have looked after many many people with clinical depression. It is a nightmare and very sad to see. You just have to be patient and understand it is very very individual and unique how it affects each person.

His mentor has pretty much the same attitude to the media, granted he has been a lot better in recent years but still famous for his dislike of it all.

Noname36

First Grade
No coach for 2015
Undecided ownership model going forward (no wonder Wests Group are not rushing in, why would you)
Disconnect with local community

Can only get better from here boys :sarcasm:

I don't think this one is too bad right at the moment.

You can replace it with "uncertain 2015 playing line up" or "certain flogging in 2 days time" though.

Noname36

First Grade

Yep. My brother suffered it badly for about 6 years and the oversensitive thing and the subsequent anger was one of the biggest characteristics of his depression. He didn't have the media after him either.

perverse

Referee
My girlfriend suffers chronic depression. It's very hard for them and those around them, his marriage split doesn't surprise me at all. It's entirely possible he has gone undiagnosed for a long time - which would have been torture for him.

It makes a lot more sense of his mannerism on the field, too. Every little minor issue can seem like a giant mountain when you're in that headspace. A teammate dropping the ball could feel like losing a grand final. I feel for the guy.

My girlfriend suffers chronic depression. It's very hard for them and those around them, his marriage split doesn't surprise me at all. It's entirely possible he has gone undiagnosed for a long time - which would have been torture for him.

It makes a lot more sense of his mannerism on the field, too. Every little minor issue can seem like a giant mountain when you're in that headspace. A teammate dropping the ball could feel like losing a grand final. I feel for the guy.

You are a good man for standing by her. Never easy. Well done.

Noname36

First Grade

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend mate. I hope she gets through it. What you're saying is very similar to what my brother described it as. He used to always say it feels like you're suffocating and every little thing that happens makes it worse. He finally agreed to let us help him...after his second suicide attempt. I hope Darbs doesn't (or God forbid hasn't) got to that stage yet and can get through it.

perverse

Referee
He is some player being able to achieve what he has with that as a burden.
Indeed, getting up for some matches must have been an epic mission. Putting your socks on can be an epic mission at that point.
You are a good man for standing by her. Never easy. Well done.
Mate, love is a blind and powerful feel. I wouldn't have it any other way. As much as it hurts sometimes - to be the one that can put a smile on her face and pull her out of it makes it worthwhile. Still, it can be a very turbulent ride and sometimes you need to just separate the illness from the subject in your mind, so to speak.
Sorry to hear about your girlfriend mate. I hope she gets through it. What you're saying is very similar to what my brother described it as. He used to always say it feels like you're suffocating and every little thing that happens makes it worse. He finally agreed to let us help him...after his second suicide attempt. I hope Darbs doesn't (or God forbid hasn't) got to that stage yet and can get through it.
Thanks for the wishes dude. Yeah, it's just like every feeling you have is amplified to over 9000. It's hard to watch someone go through it. Footy doesn't matter at the moment. Footy is just the last thing on our minds as a club at the moment... and has really been the case for most of the year.

1qaz

Juniors
Didn't know it was that serious.. As I was discussing with another member on here, things were looking up for him and Newcastle

Dave_

Juniors
Yep. I wish him all the best. I know what he's going through, this explains alot

aqua_duck

Coach
Kind of feel like a bit of a douche for constantly criticising him now. Hope the fans can show him the same sort of support we've shown Alex

Still Nutty

Juniors
This news really does shine a different light on his situation, attitude, performance, etc. With this clear context on his state of mind, it now makes much more sense.

As others have said, first and foremost I hope he gets the help he needs and gets his life back on track..where ever the track leads. It will be interesting to see if, once that is sorted, he finds his mind changes on staying or leaving Newcastle.

In his present situation, having the support network of family and friends that can help him deal with and manage his illness is probably going to be a principal consideration and I don't think he would have that here in Newcastle...but who knows.

Regardless, I hope he finds the help, support and coping skills that allow him to manage his condition and get on with his life in a positive way into the future