What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd's 54th Minute Try

Try or No Try?

• Try

Votes: 51 41.5%
  • No Try - Scrum

Votes: 72 58.5%

• Total voters

skeepe

Immortal
Well, it's on the scoreboard, so it was a try.

Technically, according to the rule book, there's scope for it to be awarded as a try - Zillman did run into the referee rather than the other way round.

That said, I think a little bit of common sense would have told us that the referee interfered with play a little too much in that instance, and therefore the correct call would have been a scrum to the Dragons 10 metres out.

Billythekid

First Grade
Its one of those situations where you would like to think common sense would prevail, unfortunately it didn't.

gallagher

Juniors
Common sense should have prevailed. Hiding behind the fact thats theres nothing in the rule book is just an easy excuse that will be spewed out by Bil in the coming days.

If the ball hits the ref, it's a scrum to the attacking side, a similar rule should be brought in for moments like that.

MacDougall

First Grade
If they can go back and play the ball again when a player runs off the mark then they can go play the ball again if the referee interferes with the play. Zillman may have run into the referee but the referee was also backing away from where he thought the player was coming from, giving no thought to where the obvious positioning of the fullback would be. No try, play the ball, last tackle.

dubopov

Coach
the ref has the same status as goalposts .. if zillman tackled goalposts while trying to get the ball it would be a try .. and it was correctly awarded

gallagher

Juniors
the ref has the same status as goalposts .. if zillman tackled goalposts while trying to get the ball it would be a try .. and it was correctly awarded
No he doesnt. if the ball hits the ref its not play on. if it hits the goalposts it is.

user_nat

Coach
No try. Should have been a scrum. Which still would have been tough on the Titans.

I'd be pretty furious if I were a Titans fan.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Who gives a crap,the Titans were nice and fresh while the Dragons just came back from touring the whole world and they still couldn't win at home

Dragons > Titans

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
By the rulebook it's a try, but i can understand why people would be upset about it. From Zillman's perspective, the referee is part of the play, and Zillman has to move around him.

Not saying i agree, but that's the interpretation. Tough call.

andrew057

First Grade
By the rulebook it's a try, but i can understand why people would be upset about it. From Zillman's perspective, the referee is part of the play, and Zillman has to move around him.

You might have a point had the referee not been moving as well.

No try.

gallagher

Juniors

Not saying i agree, but that's the interpretation. Tough call.
Ive seen in the past where player has ran behind the ref causing an obstruction and the ref pulled it up.He didint rule play on. The ref caused the try, coomon sense should have prevailed.

sting

Bench
Try. The ref is an obstacle on the field the players need to be aware of. As mentioned earlier, similar to the posts. Do people think Creagh was obstructed by the uprights in the tits second try? Of course not

Latest posts