What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd's 54th Minute Try

Try or No Try?

• Try

Votes: 51 41.5%
  • No Try - Scrum

Votes: 72 58.5%

• Total voters

RWB

Bench
Try. The ref is an obstacle on the field the players need to be aware of. As mentioned earlier, similar to the posts. Do people think Creagh was obstructed by the uprights in the tits second try? Of course not
Goalposts didn't back into Creagh, sh*t comparison.

DubaiSaint

Juniors
Whilst the try was desperately unlucky and Zillman only had eyes for the ball and it was accidental, it would open a bigger can of worms if you ruled no try and in the future you had players "calling for obstruction" and even banging into the ref under bombs.

The ref is there, he does his best to get out of the way, but he cannot disappear. As the refs said to Bailey, its unfortunate but its just one of those things.

Ulysseus

Bench
It is a shame it was given. but lets be realistic here, which is something Cartwright is not being when says it was a "critical" part of the game.
Saints have just come back from the other side of the planet, are partially jet lagged and are slightly dis-jointed in attack to kick the year off, as they so often are.

Johnny, mate, there was literally no better time to beat them........... excuses all you f**king want but being realistic the titans got one try off pure arse just before half time and Tagatese went over off what could be called an interesting pass when the result was sealed.
The gold coast, for all the ;critical moments', at no point looked like winning that game or even getting themselves in a position to do so the minute they went 12-0 down.
Just as the score flattered Saints in their 1st game against the raiders last year, 25-16 flatters the titans here..................... immensely.

No try but it again shows the NRL has no clue about this situation. They have no idea about the benefit of the doubt in general.

innsaneink

Referee
the ref has the same status as goalposts .. if zillman tackled goalposts while trying to get the ball it would be a try .. and it was correctly awarded

Only difference is that the goalposts are always in the same spot....refs move

Havent seen an incident like that for some time, was surprised they awarde it but at least they didnt umm and ahhh about it....silly rule...

doest the same apply if a defender is atempting to tackle a player, ref gets in the way and attcker scores?

innsaneink

Referee
Imagine it happening in a GF?
Would be like a players going into touch and play on called resulting in a try

Gaba

First Grade
how do people know the player didnt deliberately ran into the referee. Even though it looked like the player eyes was on the ball he would also have seen the ref there.
It is easy for a player to make out they have their eyes only on the ball just by looking at the ball, even though they have no intentions of going for the ball

Its was a 50/50 call.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Imagine it happening in a GF?
Would be like a players going into touch and play on called resulting in a try
Oh right, you talking about the time where the touch judge was unsighted so couldn't make a ruling? Or did you mean the time where a player knocked the ball on in-goal, and after 20 replays it's deemed his 10m knock-on is OK and a try is the right result?

By the rule book, this was a try. Can't blame the video ref for ruling it that way.

Should the rules be changed to cover instances of a defender running into a referee?

Maybe.

But I say no anyway ... the obstruction rule which led to the Bulldogs no-try vs Dragons in 2009 created a massive uproar as it is ... but apparently you guys want to bring in a rule which will make players think "ah the try is going to be scored, f**k it I'll run into the ref and they'll have to award a scrum instead."

As it stands, this is arguably the first time something like this has ever happened .. changing the rule would certainly see this increasingly occur, which is not only bloody stupid, but also puts the referees' health at risk as players will charge into them.

Last edited:

Liddell

Juniors
bullsh*t rule but it was correctly awarded going by the rulebook.

I'd be spewing too if i were a Titans fan though, how can a fullback get no chance whatsoever to get a shot at the ball and its play on? Like mentioned, you would like to see a bit of common sense, restart the tackle count or something.

thommo4pm

Coach
Well, it's on the scoreboard, so it was a try.

Technically, according to the rule book, there's scope for it to be awarded as a try - Zillman did run into the referee rather than the other way round.

That said, I think a little bit of common sense would have told us that the referee interfered with play a little too much in that instance, and therefore the correct call would have been a scrum to the Dragons 10 metres out.

Can't argue with any of that.
Spot on.

thommo4pm

Coach
bullsh*t rule but it was correctly awarded going by the rulebook.

I'd be spewing too if i were a Titans fan though, how can a fullback get no chance whatsoever to get a shot at the ball and its play on? Like mentioned, you would like to see a bit of common sense, restart the tackle count or something.

If I was a Titans fan, I'd be spewing that I had over 40 tackles inside the opposing 20 and only scored 2 late consolation try's to make the score respectable.

Pure and simple, the better side won. The try did not affect the outcome despite what people will say. Saints were never going to lose, the Titans only scored 2 try's when we clocked off.

Last edited:

Liddell

Juniors
If I was a Titans fan, I'd be spewing that I had over 40 tackles inside the opposing 20 and only scored 2 late consolation try's to make the score respectable.

Pure and simple, the better side won. The try did not affect the outcome despite what people will say. Saints were never going to lose, the Titans only scored 2 try's when we clocked off.

Not taking anything away from the Dragons, seemed like they were never in doubt. I'd just like to see every player have the best chance of defending a try and not be talking about the merkins in pink

Third Bugler

Juniors
no try scrum to the dragons.

common sense should have prevailed.

Section 16 law 8.1 (e) sets out when the ref must whistle a stoppage when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the player carrying the ball hitting a ref, touchie, stray dog, piece of space shuttle, etc.

If the ref doesn't have the power to blow a stoppage for a defender running into him, that's that.

Zoggy

Juniors
Try , it's unfortunate it happened but it didn't cost the titans the game AND It very rarely happens. Leave the rules as they are. You don't want to start seeing players deliberately running into refs to get a try taken off.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Section 16 law 8.1 (e) sets out when the ref must whistle a stoppage when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the player carrying the ball hitting a ref, touchie, stray dog, piece of space shuttle, etc.

If the ref doesn't have the power to blow a stoppage for a defender running into him, that's that.

where did i say the rule book should have prevailed.............

IN MY OPINION NO TRY

SEAT 1A

Bench

Well said. Allways like to start my Sunday with a :lol:. The try was very fortunite. As others have said, a scrum would have been a better option.

Slackboy72

Coach
http://www.australianrugbyleague.com.au/files/ARL International Laws of the Game 2010.pdf
I can't see anything about scrums to restart play when the ball hits the referee.

6.3) A try is scored when:

a) A player first grounds the ball in his opponents' in-goal, provided that he is not in touch or touch-in-goal or on or over the dead-ball-line.
b) Opposing players simultaneously ground the ball in the in-goal area provided that the attacking player is not in touch or touch-in-goal or not on or over the dead-ball line.
c) A tackled player's momentum carries him into the opponents' in-goal where he grounds the ball even if the ball has first touched the ground in the field-of-play but provided that when the ball crosses the goal-line the player is not in touch or touch-in-goal or on or ver the dead-ball line.
d) The Referee awards a penalty try which he may do if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is awarded between the goal-posts irrespective of where the offence occurred.
e) An attacking player carrying the ball comes into contact with the Referee or Touch-Judge or an encroaching spectator in the opponents' in-goal and play is thereby irregularly affected.

8.1 The Referee must carry a whistle which he shall blow whistle to commence and terminate each half of the game.
Except for these occasions the blowing of the whistle shall temporarily stop the play.
The Referee shall blow the whistle:
(a) when a try or a goal has been scored
(b) when the ball has gone out of play
(c) when restarting play, other than at a scrum
(d) when he detects a breach of the Laws of the Game, except when to stop the play would be to the disadvantage of the non-offending team
(e) when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the player carrying the ball coming into contact with the Referee, a Touch Judge, or with any person not taking part in the match or with any object which should not normally be on the playing field
(f) when any irregularity, not provided for in these Laws, occurs and one team unjustifiably gains an advantage
(g) when a stoppage is necessary in order to enforce the Laws or for any other reason.

8.4) The game is restarted with drop-out by a defending player from the centre of his goal-line if:

a) A defending player last touches the ball before it goes over the dead-ball line or touch-in-goal.
b) A defending player accidentally infringes in the in-goal area.
c) A defending player touches down in the in-goal area.
d) A defending player in possession is tackled in the in-goal area.
e) A defending player kicks the ball into touch on the full from his own in-goal.
f) The ball or a defending player carrying the ball touches the Referee, a Touch-Judge, or an encroaching spectator in the in-goal area and play is thereby irregularly affected.
g) The ball goes over the dead-ball line or into touch-in-goal other than on the full from a kick-off from the centre of the half-way line without being touched by or touching a defending player.

Last edited:

Latest posts