What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Arthur reaches Eels coaching record

yy_cheng

Coach
I think our attack is lot better inside 20m zone.

But I have no data to back that up just the eye test.

I know we are struggling to get ourselves inside the 20m to attack a lot more this year.
I don't see much difference. Ball to Sivo, scoring off kicks which is a strength of ours

Haven't seen much of the forwards ball playing or run arounds

Gazzamatta

Coach
Who has he developed? It's a myth. A few cheap signings have turned out good. But you're forgetting that so many plodders also didn't.
And also forgetting we went balls deep with 1.2mill for Foran, 750k for Watmough ,500k for Waqa and same for Fergo. Sure Fergo was good for 1yr but the final two garbage for that price.
All the bums he signed this year. And if you look back he has signed heaps of duds.

And let's not forget the latest to add in Hodgson.
Dont forget 500K for Jane Evans.

eels_fan

First Grade
Brian Smith couldn’t be happier that Brad Arthur is about to surpass his record as the longest-serving Parramatta coach.
“Fantastic; that’s great for him,” Smith said. “Any coach that goes that distance with one club, it’s an outstanding achievement. I don’t follow it particularly closely in the latter part of his tenure, but it seems to me that he’s up there near the top.
“He’s getting the best out of them for most of the seasons he’s been there. It’s a great achievement. I’m pretty sure he’d be happy with it and looking forward to doing another lot.”
Smith coached the Eels on 243 occasions between 1997 and 2006, enjoying a 56.8 per cent winning rate. On Monday, Arthur (52.7 per cent) will oversee the blue and golds for a record 244th time when they take on arch-rivals Canterbury at Accor Stadium.

“I’m extremely honoured and proud to be given the opportunity from the club and the administration to be in the job this long,” Arthur said. “They showed great belief and understood you can’t turn things around overnight in that [initial] period.
“I love the job and it’s a privilege for me. I feel lucky. We’ve had a lot of highs and lows with it. I’ve learnt a lot of things, I’ve made a lot of mistakes, done some things right, got a lot of good experiences and friendships out of it.

“I wouldn’t change any of it, not one thing. Even the darkest days, it was all part of my development to make me a better head coach.”
Arthur took charge when the Eels were at a low ebb. He was made full-time head coach in 2014, just after the club earned consecutive wooden spoons, having served as a caretaker for six matches in 2012. Disaster struck when the club was caught rorting the salary cap in 2016, but Arthur guided them to better days, including five finals appearances, culminating in last year’s grand final against Penrith.

The former Storm and Sea Eagles assistant has given 28 players their NRL debut, while a further 28 have made their club debut during his tenure. The 49-year-old deflected praise to those who have helped him along the journey, including co-captains Clint Gutherson and Junior Paulo, football manager Craig Sultana, assistant Peter Gentle, analyst Craig Crossman and physiotherapist Peter Cassar.

“This is more about the people who have helped me stay in the job for that long, the people who have been with me for 10 years,” Arthur said. “They have allowed this to happen.

“I also can’t thank my family enough. The kids and Michelle have always made sacrifices to make sure my job comes first.”

Every NRL coaching gig is demanding, but Parramatta has its unique challenges. Smith and Arthur joined the club after its halcyon days in the 1980s, a period of unprecedented success that raised the expectations of a long-suffering fan base. Both men guided the side to deciders, but the Eels haven’t lifted the trophy since the 1986 grand final.

“You go through some phases with that, with the expectation,” Smith said. “Traditionally, Parramatta has been a club with a lot of resource and I was excited with my opportunity when I went there. It was a great opportunity and I loved it most of the time.

“Most coaches have extremely high expectations for themselves. Sometimes it takes its toll, it wears at you a bit. But [Arthur] is not an old guy, he’s in his prime. I’d imagine he’s dealing with all of that pretty well.”

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
“Traditionally, Parramatta has been a club with a lot of resource
Traditionally? Really? 17 of the 29 coaches we've had have won fewer than half their games. If it's their fault, why would such a well-resourced club have had so many poor coaches?

I think our resourcing has clearly shown volatility since 1947. There have been eight distinct phases of on field results, which encompass enough time and enough coaches that coaching is unlikely to have been the difference. The exception might be '90-'96, where we had only two coaches (in seven stable years) and poor results were bookended by periods of strong performance on the field:

PeriodWin rateNumber of coaches
'47-'61 (15 years)23%8
'62-'69 (8 years)52%4
'70-'74 (5 years)28%3
'75-'89 (15 years)63%5
'90-'96 (7 years)34%2
'97-'08 (12 years)56%3
'09-'18 (10 years)40%4 (includes Arthur's)
'19-'23 (4.5 years)61%1 (just Arthur's)

I think you could find logical explanations for the disparity in resourcing through these periods as well, though some old timers would need to share their understanding of our off-field fortunes in the olden days. I know poker machines were very lucrative for the club in the years either side of 1980. I've also heard my old man carry on about 'Fitzy' diverting funds from footy to focus on renovating the club after 1986, which would explain the lean years between Monie and Smith. The two phases of Arthur's tenure (45% pre-2019 and 61% since) are quite obviously split by the new constitution and boardroom structure. It's not like he suddenly learned how to coach in 2019.

As Jack Gibson famously said, winning starts in the front office (but maybe he was just being humble?). There's a good chance our periods of relative success and failure since 1947 represent 'good' and 'bad' front offices, or at least a pattern of spending (resources) devoted to footy results. I personally can't think of a better explanation for why we have been so inconsistent for our 77 years. If it's just down to good and bad coaches, why would a club with such resources hire such shit staff?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

emjaycee

Coach
PeriodWin rateReason
'47-'61 (15 years)23%New, shit club with shit squad
'62-'69 (8 years)52%Ken "The Mayor" Thornett
'70-'74 (5 years)28%Shit club and shit squad
'75-'89 (15 years)63%Cronin, Price, Sterling, Kenny and Ella
'90-'96 (7 years)34%Shit club and shit squad
'97-'08 (12 years)56%N Hindmarsh, Burt and the Canterbury "3"
'09-'18 (10 years)40%Shit club and shit squad
'19-'23 (4.5 years)61%Moses, Gutho and Paulo

I fixed your table.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I fixed your table.
I don't think it's an accident that we 'developed' all these great 'local' juniors (and were able to keep them) in the years we were strong. How come we were able to find/retain these talented youngsters in some periods but not others?

There were slim pickings for a decade after 1986. I reckon we were only able to keep Woods because he was injury prone. Buettner was poached by the Bears by age 22. Matt Adamson only played one first grade game before Penrith took him. That was it for quality youngsters produced during that period, despite four SG Ball premierships during that decade. The better resourced clubs just plundered us.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm not sure where to stick it but i think here is appropriate for the record breaking coach. Tonight Bea and his team broke a long standing record that has never been achieved since 1947. We have won 14 spoons but never achieved this. 8 games in a row we have let in 20 points or more, another amazing achievement in the career of Bea Arthur. Simply amazing well done Brad 3 cheers for Male Pattern Baldness!!! Hip hip hoorayyyyyyyyy!!!!

Leonardo Dicaprio GIF - Leonardo Dicaprio GIFs

IFR33K

Coach
I'm not sure where to stick it but i think here is appropriate for the record breaking coach. Tonight Bea and his team broke a long standing record that has never been achieved since 1947. We have won 14 spoons but never achieved this. 8 games in a row we have let in 20 points or more, another amazing achievement in the career of Bea Arthur. Simply amazing well done Brad 3 cheers for Male Pattern Baldness!!! Hip hip hoorayyyyyyyyy!!!!

Leonardo Dicaprio GIF - Leonardo Dicaprio GIFs

I can’t believe some of the stats I’m hearing last night.

There’s no way of turning it around with this roster. We need at least 3 more genuine backs.

Latest posts