What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Newley

Stonecutter

First Grade
I've seen a few mock drafts and most seem to believe he'll be an early 2nd rounder to middle 2nd rounder. Which teams would have the picks and needs to draft Newley???

I know the spurs will have the Bucks best 2nd round pick and their own. As much as i'd love it I can't see Popovich going for him.

SHARK-SPURS said:
I've seen a few mock drafts and most seem to believe he'll be an early 2nd rounder to middle 2nd rounder. Which teams would have the picks and needs to draft Newley???

I know the spurs will have the Bucks best 2nd round pick and their own. As much as i'd love it I can't see Popovich going for him.

wolves could use him next year if jaric gets traded for nazr but i perfert too go after Terry

the truth is i would take Aaron Bruce over newley any day but i guess if any team would want him i guess bucks could def use him and maybe the fact that Bogut and Newley have played togther before might make them take him

i think the best teams too take him will be
1.Bucks - needs a good sf
2.Kings - Artest kinda wants out and u never know when hes gonna crack again so im guessing they will draft a sf
3.Houstonn - could def use a back up too mcgrady
4.Seattle - Lewis back up

these imo are the 4 teams that will most likely go for him

there is some great young talent out there should be close too 7-8 players playing in the nba by 09 Bogut,Bruce,Newely,Nevil,Ingles plus im sure theres more i forgot

i found this on draft exspress i gues it was in one of the papers

NBA scout to check out Croc's Newley Brad Newley has been likened to former Dream Team ace Dan Majerle by an American talent scout who has declared the athletic Townsville guard a certain selection in this year's NBA draft.

Atlanta Hawks international scout Ron Meikle labelled Newley one of the "top 60 players in the world" after landing in Townsville as part of a global mission by the NBA club ahead of the draft in June.

He will study Newley's form in Saturday night's NBL clash between the Crocodiles and lowly Singapore.

Meikle, who was invited to Townsville by Crocodiles coach Trevor Gleeson, said Newley, who is yet to nominate for the draft, could be a bolter.

"We have Brad on our list of the top 60 players in the world and the top 60 get drafted, so that's where I feel like he will be drafted," Meikle said.

"Where (he) gets drafted? It's going to be up to him.

"It's going to be to the team when they work him out. If he has great work outs he could move up and it depends I think who declares for the draft from the college ranks, that's the other thing.

"This is a very good draft. There are a lot of solid players out there.

"But definitely, he is an NBA player. I guess it will be up to him when he does get drafted if he decides to stay or decides to come, they have that option obviously when you are playing in a foreign country.

"But to me, I definitely would not have come all this way if I didn't think he was an NBA player."

Meikle said Newley reminded him of Majerle at a similar age.

Majerle, known as "Thunder Dan", played 14 seasons in the NBA and retired in 2002 with career averages of 11.4 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.

The sharp-shooter won a world championship gold medal as part of the all-conquering 1994 US team that included Shaquille O'Neal.

"I compare him to Dan Majerle," Meikle said of Newley.

"(Majerle) came into the league in the same way, very raw, he wasn't a really good deep-out shooter but he kept practising and practising and just shooting and shooting.

"I think I had a fairly good discussion with Trevor and I know that he has incorporated that a lot into his practises.

"For him to make it in the NBA, he can play two positions. He can play shooting guard and small forward because he is tall enough and athletic enough to do that but he's got to do a better job I think, if I'm going to critique him right now, is to put the ball on the floor."

Meikle said South Dragons young gun Joe Ingles was also on the Hawks' radar.

Read Full Article from AAP

Stonecutter

First Grade
There are a few NBL players who could make the transition to the NBA. This could be a massive boom for Australian basketball if Newley, Ingles can make a career in the NBA.

El Coconuto

Bench
Newley is a gun. He's one of the few Australian built-for-the-NBA type players around. He won't play small forward unless is in the Eastern Conference. He's too small to play the 3-man in the West. Even so, I agree that he has a bright career ahead of him.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Brad Newley said:
Newley ready for NBA tilt
Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:33 AM
NBL

Recently signed Adelaide 36ers star Brad Newley is preparing himself for a tilt at the big time, as he trains in the lead-up to the NBA Draft in June.

For the second year straight, Newley will head to the US and play in the rough and tumble of the NBA’s pre-draft camps and he told Zac Millbank of The Advertiser he knew what to expect this time round.

"I got smacked around a bit," the Newley said of his experience at last year’s camp.

"In Cleveland, I got hit in the mouth, didn't have my mouthguard in and had to get straight back into it.”

"You come down the lane and you've got to go strong otherwise they'll toss your shot out and tell you about it."

Newley leaves on Wednesday for Orlando, Florida where he will take part in the official NBA Pre-Draft Camp from May 29 to June 4 but says he is less nervous than he was in 2006.

"I'm reasonably calm because last year I did the same thing," Newley said.

"I'm not nervous at all, as I've said before, I've got nothing to lose, I'm just going to go over there (U.S.) and in that true Aussie way, just have a crack."

Newley understands the importance of performing well in Florida.

"In Orlando it's important you do reasonably well," he said.

"I did reasonably well there last year, this year I need to be a bit more aggressive with my scoring because last year I tended to pass a fair bit.”

"This year I realise it's a bit of a dog-eat-dog world and you've got to be a little bit selfish. It's tough (to be like that), out here I tend to shoot a fair bit, so I guess I've got to take my mentality from here over there."

In order to be at the top of his game for the chance of a lifetime, Newley reportedly followed the advice of former Townsville head coach Ian Stacker and worked to improve the arc on his jumper by launching up to 1,000 shots a day.

"I'm trying to get that many (shots) up there if possible," Newley said.

"Some days I'll do more than others, one day might be a shooting day, one a running day and one a weights day.”

"(And) I haven't shot at an NBL three-point line for the last two weeks. It's all been two metres out because they (NBA players) shoot from that extra distance. If you can knock that down consistently, then your foot's halfway through the door."

Despite the workload, Newley told Millbank his passion for the game was as strong as ever.

"At the end of the day I love playing basketball," Newley said.

"It's just like playing a video game, I'm just shooting a basketball. Any kid who plays basketball, if this (NBA) is a chance you have to make the absolute most of it. That's what I'm trying to do, it's a long shot but I'm just going to take no prisoners, go out there and give it my best."

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=breakers_newsdisplay&aid=5032

Panthers_God

Juniors
Aaron Bruce's is really good, he'll make the nba.

But I think he might not be making himself eligible for draft this year.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
Any other Aussies in with a chance of being drafted? What's Aaron Bruce's future...

To find out about aussies in the NCAA this is the website... http://www.aussiehoopsamerica.com/index1.html

The website says that Aaron Bruce has declared himself for the 2007 NBA draft.

Bruce said:
Aaron Bruce To Participate In NBA Draft Process

Junior guard applies for early entry, likely to return.
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Aaron Bruce will declare for the 2007 NBA Draft but retain the option of returning to Baylor for senior season.
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

April 20, 2007

WACO, Texas -- Baylor junior guard Aaron Bruce intends to make himself available for the 2007 NBA draft by entering his name on the early entry list but he will not hire an agent, he announced Friday.
"Our staff fully supports Aaron in taking a step in pursuit of his dream to one day play in the NBA," Baylor Head Coach Scott Drew said. "Right now the way the system is set up it is a great opportunity for juniors to see what the workouts are like and to get a realistic view of what the experts think of their chances. Unless Aaron can work his way into the (draft's) first round he will return to Baylor for his senior year and complete his degree."
As an underclassman without an agent, Bruce retains the option until June 18 to withdraw from the draft and return for his senior season at Baylor. After June 5, underclassmen can work out for teams at their own expense in order to maintain their collegiate eligibility. The 2007 NBA Draft will be conducted June 28 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
"I sat down with my parents and the coaching staff and we think this is the best move for me at the moment to see where I stand," Bruce said. "It's a good way for me to learn the process and to be ready for next year."
The 6-3 Australian has averaged 14.3 points, 3.5 assists and hit on 40 percent of 3-pointers in three seasons at Baylor. Bruce is a three-time All-Big 12 selection who has started all 74 games played for the Bears.

spacer.gif

"Aaron will finish out the spring semester and is enrolled in summer school," Drew said. "His workouts with NBA teams won't affect his academic schedule."
Bruce's 39.9 career 3-point percentage ranks third in school history and his 81.7 career free throw percentage ranks fifth all-time. This season he joined Baylor's 1,000-point club and he currently ranks 19th on the school's career scoring list with 1,060 points. In 2005 he was voted to Baylor's All-Centennial Team. Bruce was named a Freshman All-American after leading the nation's freshman in scoring with an 18.2 average in 2004-05. Bruce is a veteran of international basketball having played for multiple Australian national teams including the senior squad that participated in the 2006 FIBA World Championships in Japan last summer

http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042007aad.html

Stonecutter said:
To find out about aussies in the NCAA this is the website... http://www.aussiehoopsamerica.com/index1.html

The website says that Aaron Bruce has declared himself for the 2007 NBA draft.

yep he and newely will go 50-60 i would say doubt they will stay unless theyget some mins too prove themselfs

i think Knight,Ingles and neville(think thats how u spell it) are gonna be ones too watch as well

Stonecutter

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
yep he and newely will go 50-60 i would say doubt they will stay unless theyget some mins too prove themselfs

i think Knight,Ingles and neville(think thats how u spell it) are gonna be ones too watch as well

Aussie basketball is definately on the rise...

Stonecutter

First Grade
Will he or won't he?
Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:30 AM
NBL - Marc Howard

It’s the question that’s on every Adelaide fan’s lips… will he or won’t he?

We’re talking about new 36ers superstar signing Brad Newley of course and whether or not he’ll hear his name called out by that other commish, NBA Commissioner David Stern, on June 28 at the NBA Draft at Madison Square Garden.

If Newley is indeed one of the 60 players drafted, the implications for Adelaide’s hopes of their first title since 2002 are seismic. Apart from the fact he’s a genuine home-grown South Australian hero, Newley is also one of the best players in Australia, and that makes him a valuable commodity. Finding a non-import who is as talented as Newley to fill the Grand Canyon-sized hole that would appear in his otherwise impressive roster is a task that 36ers head coach Phil Smyth is undoubtedly hoping he won’t have to do.

So just what are Newley’s realistic chances of being drafted to ‘the show’?

If you do a quick roadtrip around cyberspace, the consensus seems to be that right now ‘Newls’ is set to be a low second round pick or go undrafted. Chad Ford from espn.com has Newley ranked at number 68 in his list of the Top 100 Draft prospects, which would see the South Australian just miss out on the second round. In his own mock draft, Jonathan Givony of hoopshype.com has Newley being selected in the second round with the fifty-seventh pick overall by the Detroit Pistons. NBAdraftnet.com’s mock draft has Newley undrafted while insidehoops.com thinks he will go somewhere in the second round. A number of other major websites are only listing the first round in their own mock drafts, but Newley’s name doesn’t appear making it clear he is considered a second round pick at best.

If that were indeed the case, it could be good news for 36ers fans as being drafted out of the first round brings with it no guarantees of an NBA contract. Leagues around the world are filled with players who were second round picks but never got past training camp for one reason or another. Particularly late in the second round, NBA teams often take a flyer on players who are years away from being NBA stars just based on their potential and upside and these gambles don’t always pay off.

It’s this sort of stockmarket-style uncertainty that makes the NBA Draft so exciting, as players skyrocket up or slide down the projections in the weeks before the big day. There are also always sleepers that no one expected to even get drafted that somehow burst into the picture on the night, defying all pre-draft projections. So could Newley somehow work himself into a first round pick?

Newley is currently participating in the NBA’s official Pre-Draft Camp in Orlando, trying to boost his stocks. He is one of five international players in attendance attend and has been invited back for the second straight year, which is in itself a good sign. ESPN.com’s Chad Ford also stated that the South Australian star would rival Lithuania’s Renaldas Seibutis as the best international prospect at the camp.

Reports out of the first two days of the camp however failed to indicate if Newley helped or hindered his draft status, although if he had blown people away you could expect to hear about it. The consensus seems to be however that individual team workouts are where players can really boost their stocks. Most of the players expected to be first rounders have chosen to bypass the camp altogether and last year only two players who were in Orlando managed to shoot themselves into the first round (Renaldo Balkman, who was selected with the 20th pick by New York and Jordan Farmar, the 26th selection by the Los Angeles Lakers).

So we won’t really know until Newley’s had a chance to strut his stuff behind closed doors if he has managed to put himself into first round calculations. With this being one of the deepest drafts in years, he is going to have to blow the mind of at least one NBA GM in order to be anything other than a second rounder.

An interesting aside however is the fact that a scout from the Miami Heat recently requested some additional statistical information on Newley from the NBL office. With the Heat having no second round pick (it has already been traded to Dallas via the LA Lakers) the only place the Heat could choose him without initiating some sort of other trade is with their one pick at number 20 in the first round. Could Newley really go this high in the draft?

ESPN’s DraftTracker profile indicated Newley needs to work on his strength, defence and outside shooting consistency if he is to make it in the NBA. It also said that the Australian “drew some buzz in draft workouts last year” and that he was a “bubble second rounder right now, but he could move up.”

So Adelaide 36ers fans will need to hold their collective breaths for a little while yet before they know if Newley will be suiting up for them in season 2007/08

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=5065

Noa

First Grade
He'd be great on a veteran play-off team. I could see him getting 10 points a night on a good team.

Joe Ingles and Patrick Mills will be much better NBA players though.

Stonecutter

First Grade
He wouldn't make himself eligible this year I would think?

If he continues playing great in the NBL, no-doubt we'll start hearing more of his chance in the NBA.

Noa

First Grade
Andrew Oglivy and Patrick Mills are impressing at a camp in Europe.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2007douai001.asp.

"Team Australia:

Andrew Ogilvy

Andrew Ogilvy 7'0" 240 lbs: The top center here and the second best overall prospect. Outstanding body already, big and strong, good athleticism. Solid mature inside game, decent passer. Has no problem running the floor and mixing it up inside. He isn't afraid of contact and can finish in the lane. Absolutely a solid defender and shot blocker but not blessed with outstanding foot speed to guard out on the perimeter. Heads above every other Australian inside player in development. He could be ready for the NBA draft right now"

and

" PATRICK MILLS 5'11" maybe: Pure Point Guard, tough as they come, blessed with outstanding speed and court leadership, can hit the open shot but is more of a pass first player. In this tournament there was nobody who could match his speed."

Choppies

Coach
Newley need to bulk up or he will get pounded in the NBA. If he bulks up in the next couple of years it would be very interesting.

knights7 said:
That's great I love seeing Australians do well in any overseas sport...ie Bogut!

You know your blinded with pride when your the only one in the Bradley Center wearing a Bogut jersey.

Latest posts