What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandy's Top 17 Panthers

Spot on. Probably the fastest winger we have ever had. I would guess Wesser was faster over 40m and Jennings too, but over 100m he was a flyer. Never did much catching because bombs to the wing were relatively rare in those days. The seven set tackle rule wasn't in place so rather than a kick to the air, many last tackles finished with the ball going dead in goal to reset the defence.

McIndoe had the benefit of playing with Brandy and he was put into space by him many, many times. Brandy had great peripheral vision. It didn't hurt that our two backorders were good ball players too and many tries were caused by Geyer and Cartwright getting balls away to create a midfield break. If you could get the ball to McIndoe, there were few players in the ARL who were going to run him down once he reached his stride. Happy days. Brandy to Cartwirght, around the corner pass to Izzard and out to the wing for the Emerald Express. Try. Simples.

You probably described 90% of the tries that McIndoe scored - and they were all very pretty to watch!

He certainly wouldn’t look out of the place in the modern game.

He shouldn’t have. The award was voted on 16 minutes before the end of the game, so Clyde was man of the 3/4 match!

Very true.
In Royce Simmons book Hooked on League he says a similar thing. Bob Fulton later revealed voting had taken place 15 minutes before full time while Canberra were up 12-6.
That has always bugged me.

From an outsider's perspective of that impressive early 2000 lineup youse had, true Puletua was mighty but I always thought Galuvao was at least his equal most of the time.

Those early years Galuvao was just as good. I think its fair to say the pair both had career years in 03.
We were spoilt for back rowers back then with Frank Pritchard coming through as well.
Galuvao's form dropped off early 05 about the same time Big T went down with a season ending injury. I think he struggled later that season with an ankle injury too.
A disasterous stint at Souths followed. At least he ended with another title later on with Manly.
He gave good service here I will always be grateful for 03 and the memories of the hairbairs.

Last edited:

Alintheeast

Juniors
Very true.
In Royce Simmons book Hooked on League he says a similar thing. Bob Fulton later revealed voting had taken place 15 minutes before full time while Canberra were up 12-6.
That has always bugged me.
What always amazes me about 90/91 GFs was the quality of the opposition that we should have beaten and then beat. Consider Canberra’s spine Belcher, Daley(91) or O’Sullivan(90), Stuart and Steve Walters, all bar O’Sullivan an Australian International. Throw in Meninga, Clyde, Lazarus and Brent Todd and you can really appreciate how good we were

John Hamblin

Juniors
Colin was a great player and deserving of being considered our best ever lock. His knee issues certainly curtailed his representative opportunities which was a great shame.
Van Der Vort was picked for NSW but couldnt pass the medical from Nathan Gibbs

betcats

Referee
Am I too one-eyed in thinking Brad Clyde shouldn't have won the CC in 91?

Na its fresh in my mind from last night. Roycey easily deserved it over everyone but also Fitler and our Fullback were better than Clyde IMO. Brandy could of got it over CLyde and if MG didnt get sat down for 10 he easily had more impact than Clyde. Brad Izzard played a great game off the bench.

The best Canberra player on the field that game was the winger who scored twice, not just because of his tries but he was dangerous constantly that game.

FIttlers defence of Big Mal is underrated for that game, he shut him down by getting in his facr and had that amazing cover tackle on the big guy.

Na its fresh in my mind from last night. Roycey easily deserved it over everyone but also Fitler and our Fullback were better than Clyde IMO. Brandy could of got it over CLyde and if MG didnt get sat down for 10 he easily had more impact than Clyde. Brad Izzard played a great game off the bench.

The best Canberra player on the field that game was the winger who scored twice, not just because of his tries but he was dangerous constantly that game.

FIttlers defence of Big Mal is underrated for that game, he shut him down by getting in his facr and had that amazing cover tackle on the big guy.

I thought Meninga was their best, especially with his second half performance where he singlehandedly saved a handful of tries from being scored. That tackle on the fullback Greg Barwick almost made me cry 29 years ago but looking back, it was one hell of a try-saving tackle.

betcats

Referee
I thought Meninga was their best, especially with his second half performance where he singlehandedly saved a handful of tries from being scored. That tackle on the fullback Greg Barwick almost made me cry 29 years ago but looking back, it was one hell of a try-saving tackle.

There was some amazing Goal line defence that game for Raiders. I just thought Mal was well contained offensively he didn’t seem to threaten often. Daley’s strip on Izzard was amazing also. That whole period we had them on their we looked like scoring 5 tries if not for some almost freakish defensive efforts.

There was some amazing Goal line defence that game for Raiders. I just thought Mal was well contained offensively he didn’t seem to threaten often. Daley’s strip on Izzard was amazing also. That whole period we had them on their we looked like scoring 5 tries if not for some almost freakish defensive efforts.

I remember being absolutely filthy at Izzard for not passing the ball to Cartwright, who would’ve gone over untouched. Thankfully he made up for that blunder later in the game!

You’re right though about Mal being contained offensively. Fittler could’ve picked up the Clive Churchill medal for his containment of Big Mal

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Saw Big T being interviewed at home the other day and saw some old footage of him at his best. Currently we get excited about Kikau but he in my opinion still has some way to go to get to the levels of Big T and Franky Pritchard. Tony Puletua was a fantastic player one of my all time favourite players.

Saw Big T being interviewed at home the other day and saw some old footage of him at his best. Currently we get excited about Kikau but he in my opinion still has some way to go to get to the levels of Big T and Franky Pritchard. Tony Puletua was a fantastic player one of my all time favourite players.

Who can ever forget the game against the Wests Tigers at Penrith Stadium 20 years ago?!?

Tony Puletua came of age that day and ripped the Tigers a new one in the second half to help us to what is, in my opinion, the greatest Panthers come-from-behind win :thumbsup:

Kilkenny

Coach
Who can ever forget the game against the Wests Tigers at Penrith Stadium 20 years ago?!?

Tony Puletua came of age that day and ripped the Tigers a new one in the second half to help us to what is, in my opinion, the greatest Panthers come-from-behind win :thumbsup:

I think that was the footage they showed? 31-8 down, came back to win 32-31 with a kick from the sideline to seal it. Only saw it during the week and can’t remember who kicked the winning conversation. Early onset dementia must be kicking in.

Is that our biggest come from behind win? I remember the recent game against the Warriors a couple of seasons ago when we were getting flogged at half time and turned it around, I seem to recall a home against the Cowboys where they were out of sight but somehow we ending up winning.