What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking Bad

Danish

Referee
Perhaps it does, but to me the coughing fit was a deliberate distracting act. He has used it previously to his advantage (he put on a bit of a sick act when Hank first discovered him prior to dropping all pretenses and directly threatening him) so I wouldn't be surprised it he used it again.

If the poison were already at the table, there'd be no reason for the fit.

I can see the argument for it being in the sweetener, a running theme whenever they met in that cafe was Lydia checking for the sweetener and requesting some if they didn't have enough, but to me that seems like too big of an ask to expect him to get a sweetener packet, unseal it, add the ricin, then seal it up perfectly (Lydia obsessively plays with the packet every time we see her have tea, so any faults would be obvious to her). Sneaking the vile in whilst hunched over the table coughing seems more plausible to me.

If it is admitted that it is actually supposed to be in the sweetener packet TBH I would almost start buying into the fantasy theory as thats a pretty big leap of faith to take, even for Walt.

bileduct

Coach
Dude, she has the Stevia packet in her hand the entire time. There's no way he's just going to snatch it out of her hand and replace it without her noticing. His hands don't even go near her.

To me, the facts that there was only one Stevia packet left, that Todd walked by without evening noticing him sitting there and she obviously didn't notice him walk in either, and Walt mentioning that he met her there at the same time every week pretty much point to Walt putting the ricin there before Lydia even sat down.

They are sitting at the same table that Walt and Lydia were sitting at in previous episodes.

Edit:

If it is admitted that it is actually supposed to be in the sweetener packet TBH I would almost start buying into the fantasy theory as thats a pretty big leap of faith to take, even for Walt.
Walt (to Lydia): "I slipped it into that Stevia crap that you're always putting in your tea."

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Dude, she has the Stevia packet in her hand the entire time. There's no way he's just going to snatch it out of her hand and replace it without her noticing. His hands don't even go near her.

To me, the facts that there was only one Stevia packet left, that Todd walked by without evening noticing him sitting there and she obviously didn't notice him walk in either, and Walt mentioning that he met her there at the same time every week pretty much point to Walt putting the ricin there before Lydia even sat down.

They are sitting at the same table that Walt and Lydia were sitting at in previous episodes.

Edit:

Walt (to Lydia): "I slipped it into that Stevia crap that you're always putting in your tea."

I'm not saying that he pulled a switcheroo with the packets when he coughed, I'm saying he directly poisoned the tea himself with the ricin when coughing i.e. starts coughing and crouching over the table, they turn away in disgust, he dumps the ricin in the tea.

She then adds the sweetener, which is just sweetener.

They may be pointing to him somehow managing to get ricin inside a sealed sweetener packet. I just think such a scenario is ridiculously unbelievable whereas using a bit of slight of hand to dump it in there directly is a much simpler, cleaner, and most importantly at least halfway realistic way for him to have done it.

bileduct

Coach
The cup of tea isn't on the table when he has the coughing fit. It doesn't turn up until the waiter arrives and Lydia says Walt is just leaving.

He doesn't get a chance to put the ricin in her cup of tea. In one camera shot it is put down in front of him, then he gets up and leaves. His hands don't go near it.

Danish

Referee
The cup of tea isn't on the table when he has the coughing fit. It doesn't turn up until the waiter arrives and Lydia says Walt is just leaving.

He doesn't get a chance to put the ricin in her cup of tea. In one camera shot it is put down in front of him, then he gets up and leaves. His hands don't go near it.

Ah true. Didn't realise that at the time. I concede it can only be be in the packet then.

Kind of sucks because it would be literally impossible for him to do that short of him sourcing an unsealed packet from the manufacturer.

bileduct

Coach
The packet is just paper and some glue. I imagine there are ways to moisten the paper and heat up the glue or something that could result in you being able to put something inside without ripping the paper, and then let it dry and reseal.

Danish

Referee
They are specifically designed to be tamper-proof. They have ridged edges and all sorts of little crap, hell the paper is practically fused together as a single piece around the edges. Its not like opening an envelope.

IF they had not painted Lydia as a complete paranoid OCD nutter then you could think of plenty of ways that wouldn't be that noticeable at a glance, but she freaking caresses the packets constantly whenever she is drinking and is thorough in checking her surroundings etc for problems.

Something interesting that has been pointed out to me as well is that Walt's speaking to Lydia and informing her he'd poisoned her could well have killed his family. She wanted them dead previously but for Todd's intervention, so its not much for her to now make a phone call to a few hit men and have Skyler, Flynn, and Holly all taken out.

f**king hell I need to just stop overthinking it :lol:

some11

Referee
I'm saying he directly poisoned the tea himself with the ricin when coughing i.e. starts coughing and crouching over the table, they turn away in disgust, he dumps the ricin in the tea.

I've got the HDTV rip right in front of me, there's not even any tea on the table when he coughs.

You're over analysing it.

Something interesting that has been pointed out to me as well is that Walt's speaking to Lydia and informing her he'd poisoned her could well have killed his family. She wanted them dead previously but for Todd's intervention, so its not much for her to now make a phone call to a few hit men and have Skyler, Flynn, and Holly all taken out.

Mike and the Nazi's are dead, who is she going to call?

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Clearly in the sweetener, before they arrived Walt has obviously taken out every other Stevia (or whatever it's called) from the table so she had to use that one.

He knows her habits. As far as getting it in there, I don't know, through a syringe or something I guess.

I read with interest on Reddit the theories that the end of the second last episode could have been the end of the series. Some go as far as to say they added the last episode so as to not piss everyone off with loose ends etc.

Just watched the end of the second last epsiode again, would have also been a good way to go out...

beave

Coach
The 2nd last episode, if they were going to do another season then this would have been the ideal episode to end season 5.2 on, with a little tweaking of jesse's story (show him escaping and just about to get freedom when getting caught by the nazi's). But we all know that a magical 7th season is off the cards so it's all a moot point.

I hope this Saul spin off come to fruition, I like that character a hell of a lot.

ByRd

First Grade
Wow!!! Just wow. What a show!!! I just finished watching all 5 seasons over the last month, would watch 2-3 eps a night after work/gym. Some late nights and tired mornings but well worth it, best show I have seen by far and doubt anything would come close.

Someone

Bench
binge watched the last 4 episodes and had my jaw on the floor the whole time. the best tv series i have ever seen no doubt.

holy f**k balls.

few comments...

1.I found it interesting todd was happy to keep skyler alive but blew andrea away. I guess that great scene in felina (walt saying goodbye to his family) wouldnt be possible with skyler dead.

2. I didnt feel like there was enough jesse in the final 2 episodes. I kinda felt let down that he didnt escape on his own, and seeing him witness andrea dying was basically watching jesse die.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
1.I found it interesting todd was happy to keep skyler alive but blew andrea away. I guess that great scene in felina (walt saying goodbye to his family) wouldnt be possible with skyler dead.

I think that Todd had more respect for Walt than Jesse. Plus killing Andrea was a punishment, while scaring Walt's family was more of a warning.

Apey

Staff member
Just finished a speed clear of the entire series. Enjoyable, but quite over-hyped for me. Despite this I did really like the series overall and would watch it again at a slower pace in the future. I loved Bryan Cranston in Malcolm in the Middle so that part was always going to satisfy me.

A few annoying plot holes/unanswered questions aside, the story was great for the most part. I'm happy for questions like how were Brock/Lydia poisoned to be left open for pondering and am amazed at the amount people feeling like they needed to know more about what happened to Saul. I thought his exit was great, short and to the point. Walt: "It's over... when I say it's over" Saul: "It's over", shakes Walt's hand and leaves for his new life.

The two things that did annoy me were

1. Finer details of Walt's involvement in Gray Matters. This to me was a plot hole. It is such a huge motivation behind everything Walt does yet we aren't ever really given the details, only references and implications. The specificities are important imo and I think it was an oversight not to include them.

2. What about Gus' past in Chile? More like an unanswered question than a plot hole I suppose; it wasn't completely necessary to know. Momentum for discovering his background was starting with the likes of the flashback to his earlier dealings with the cartel. His prominence in Chile is what saves his life there yet we aren't told what that is. Personally, I would have liked to see Hank find something more out about this just as Hector was blowing him up.

I was pretty content with the ending, though I feel like Jesse should have suffered more directly than indirectly. Would have loved to see the other proposed ending of Walt being the last man standing with everything he loved gone.

Either way, good series and worth watching again if not a tad overrated.