What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BREAKING NEWS. Fui Fui DENIED leave to appeal

Parrasque

Juniors
Just heard on Hadley.

They found that an appeals hearing would find no different to the judiciary so decided against it.

f*ck

Nickeel

Juniors
Physique said:
Just heard on Hadley.

They found that an appeals hearing would find no different to the judiciary so decided against it.

f*ck

Utter bulls**t.

Despite there being new evidence that contradicts the original charge?

And they wait nearly two weeks, until midday Friday before the preliminary final, to avail us of this decision?

Pathetic. Absolutely PATHETIC.

Nick

shiftysmith

Juniors
Physique said:
this would have disrupted the club
i dont think so,the club are totally focused on this wks game and they had already come to the terms that fui would not be around this year even if the appeal was granted,at best it may have been reduced

The Colonel

Immortal
Physique said:
this would have disrupted the club

Why so? They had conceded that they didn't expect Fui to make the finals and were looking to get his sentence reduced to hopefully have him play during the Tri-Nations.

There would be some disappointment but it isn't a major disruption.

True EEL

Bench
well this just in: that's freaking typical!!!!

and can anyone tell me did either King or Witt get suspended from the first final against us???? I mean going off what Fui got (even considering his poor record) Witt should get 1000 weeks for his actual hit that connected on Riddell!!!!!!!!!

Mr Saab

Referee
as a broncos fan i am bewildered by this.
The new evidence showed he made contatct with the head, but not of the 9 week kind. It was a glancing blow.
Just another reason why the system needs a complete overhaul

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
well this just in: that's freaking typical!!!!

and can anyone tell me did either King or Witt get suspended from the first final against us???? I mean going off what Fui got (even considering his poor record) Witt should get 1000 weeks for his actual hit that connected on Riddell!!!!!!!!!

King got a week. Witt got 2.

They'll be free to start the season.

Eelectrica

Referee
Pity they didn't have all the footage at the first hearing or a whole lot of hassle would have been avoided and probably a better result for FFMM

Nickeel

Juniors
I'm so frustrated I need to post again.

Why couldn't they have come to this verdict a week and a half ago?

As it stood, we all had the strong belief that the new footage would be sufficient enough to re-hear the case at the very least, if not reduce or quash the conviction. But Judge Greg Woods took almost two weeks to turn around and basically say 'Nup, sorry.'

Maybe Woods has a similar sleep apnoea condition to Judge Ian Dodd, and has been asleep this whole time. :lol:

Nick

strider

Post Whore
the NRL will be getting a very harsh email from this little parra fan in the near future

absolutely disgraceful

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Friday, September 23, 2005

MEDIA RELEASE

NRL Judiciary Chairman Judge Greg Woods has ruled against Parramatta’s application for leave to appeal the nine week suspension imposed on Fuifui Moimoi for a grade 2 reckless high tackle.

In refusing to grant leave Judge Woods made the following points in his judgment:

“Today the 23rd of September I have read written and heard oral submissions on the player’s behalf by Mr Jurd, and written and oral submissions to the contrary by Judiciary Counsel Mr Kite.

I take into account all of the material before the panel, when I presided, and as well two other angles of the incident, the television footage of which was not available at the time of the hearing. This is fresh evidence which, should the matter proceed as an appeal, I assume for the purposes of the exercise would be considered by the appeal committee.

I take into account as well two still newspaper photographs of the incident which were not available at the time of the hearing.

The player contended at the hearing that he had not in fact made contact with the head of the tackled player. The argument based on this had some credibility because there was only one camera angle available at the time of the charge and the hearing. Notwithstanding this, and a warning that “single angle” cases required particular care, the panel of three former players found the alleged contact had occurred.

Mr Jurd contends that the new material explains and substantiates the player’s evidence given before the panel, and that if the matter proceeds as an appeal, there will be “good prospects” of success, this being the relevant test for me to apply.

My view of this material, having heard the submissions of counsel, is to the contrary of what Mr Jurd says. The new material shows clearly that there was indeed contact with the head. No doubt at the hearing Mr Moimoi was giving an honest account of the events as he recalled them, but I conclude that the player was mistaken in his belief, expressed to the panel, that he had not made contact with the head.

Mr Jurd now concedes, in the light of the additional film materials, that indeed there was contact with the head. That contact, he says, was in the nature of a “wrap-around” tackle as the player intended it.

However even if it were intended to be a “wrap-around” tackle, it seems to me that what was intended was to “wrap-around” the head of the opposing player. At no stage was Mr Moimoi’s large and powerful arm going anywhere else. It needs to be emphasised that tackling around the head will generally be an offence against the laws of the game. Every player at all times has a special duty to avoid unnecessary forceful contact with the head or neck of an opposing player.

It seems to me very clear indeed that the decision by the panel in the first instance was correct.

As to penalty, nothing that has been presented before me in this application persuades me that the grading was incorrect. The tackle clearly was reckless. A grading of level 2 seems to me to be appropriate, as the panel thought it.

I do not see any reasonable possibility that an appeal tribunal would take a different view.”

there you go kids, the full report

Morenito

Juniors
So the Appeals commitee finds it would have come to the same conclusion as the judiciary?? Are you kidding. He hit him yes. But did he did he hit him for 9 runs? Dont think so.

Waited that long for that crap. What a waste of 5k whatever it is to appeal

Latest posts