What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breakout Season

BennyV

Referee
I read a somewhat interesting article on Zerotackle that predicts 5 players to have breakout seasons (they reckon Corey Norman, Josh Mansour, Jack Wighton, Jason Taumalolo and Nathan Peats)...while I've gotta disagree with some of these, it begs the question as to which Dragons will have a 'breakout season' - not just in our eyes, but will reach the upper echelon of players in their position across the NRL. The sort of season that Merrin had in 2013, where he became a player that the other team were wary of..

This is my prediction (not my hopes):

Joel Thompson: He's young, tough and very athletic, but he's been stuck in the shadow of Fensom and Papali at the Raiders. I reckon he will unleash running off our new halves and we will hear his name thrown around come SOO.

Gareth Widdop: He's already an international player and a premiership winner, but he's now away from the Big 3 and structure of Bellamy and he's looking to cement himself as a dominant playmaker, and based on what I've seen of him I reckon it'll happen, and then some.

Jack deBelin: NYC player of the year a few years back and with a few seasons under his belt I reckon he's set to explode. He's got one of the best front on tackling styles in the league and by the end of the year I'd say the thought of running at him will give a few opponents nightmares.

Ben Geragh: He's already played and excelled at every level but this year is Bennys year to shine as the captain. He struggled with the C last year but after going through the worst season in recent memory, and with a younger team behind him, Creagh will prove to be a great club captain from 2014 for years to come.

I have other hopes for the likes of Stockwell, Friz, Beale, etc but these are the ones that will stand out. Any other predictions on our players stepping up?

_Johnsy

Referee
If there is one player I expect to exceed all expectations it would be Peter Mata'utia, a very handy acquisition IMO.

st.phil

Bench
Agree with those listed...a dark horse, Dan Hunt. lI have been pretty critical but our forwards definitely got worse after he was out last year and for once I found myself thinking "where is Hunt?" I think he is a "vibe" player for the dragons, others want to play with and for him...if he can stay fit and cut those mistakes he'll be important for us.

TheRev

Coach
JDB is getting to that age where he might just be ready to step up.. already last year he was starting to become a real brick for us, big hard uncompromising..

Not sure on Hunt, but there are a lot of middle-of-the-road forwards who have a chance to make a 1st grade spot their own this year.

BennyV

Referee
If there is one player I expect to exceed all expectations it would be Peter Mata'utia, a very handy acquisition IMO.

I hope so...I like him as a player and I hope he gets a shot during the year, he will be a surprise package...

BrissyRedV

Bench
I am expecting big things from Sam Williams and Jack Stockwell. Sam is a natural half back and has all the skills. He will be our first natural half back since Matty Head.

Jack will be all the better for another preseason. He played well last year and he will be relied upon greatly this year. He is obviously seen as a long term player with his recent resigning.

hardbaby

Coach
I think Mata will take a centre position by the end of the year. But Frizell is the guy that I think will shine brightest. Was dynamic at the Sharks but didn't quite work it out in his first year at the Dragons. I blame inexperience, second year syndrome, bad coaching and truly shit halves. Three of those four things will be gone in 2014. Massive year for him.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I'm hoping Price has a breakout year, how good would that be. Not holding my breathe though.

TheRev

Coach
I'm hoping Price has a breakout year, how good would that be. Not holding my breathe though.
Haha its the most critical component, well said.. its interesting though a lot of maybes this year with players, 3-4 of them come good and atleast we will be in contention for the 8.

Very much so, was a standout in Reggies last year but was never going to get a start with Leilua and Gagai in front of him.
JDB with a few extra kilos on could be a deadset gun, can play big minutes runs like Martin Lang and hits like an axe. Creagh and Merrin will also clock big minutes up the middle which logically leaves plenty of room for us to carry Style or Quinlan on the bench.

Benny

First Grade
Frizzel is the one need to have that season - apart from Thompson are lacking quality edge players.

I think Mata will take a centre position by the end of the year. But Frizell is the guy that I think will shine brightest. Was dynamic at the Sharks but didn't quite work it out in his first year at the Dragons. I blame inexperience, second year syndrome, bad coaching and truly shit halves. Three of those four things will be gone in 2014. Massive year for him.

I agree with this HB ...well said.

And JDB with him

And with them, (plus one half) - ahem, Steve Price !

jenninga

First Grade
Agree with Joel Thompson.I was speaking to someone from the Raiders coaching staff who says Thompson is a champion bloke and will be a good signing for us.
Also I think this season will be Kyle's breakout season,after years of frustration ,an injury free season will be exciting for him to show his potential.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I hope it is Rein who has the break out season to put all you to rest with the hooking situation. He was excellent in his first year. Copped 2nd year syndrone like many good players and now not rated by some. If our pathetic coach kept Fein at Hooker last year and had Rein rotating it would have been much easier for him. It's not Rein's fault the best hooker at the club was picked at 7 and he had to shoulder all the responsibility in one of the toughest position.

Sam Williams is another looking for a breakout season. He is only signed for 1 year and has alot to play for. Only thing is if he has a blinder teh Dogs will come sniffing and pay him more as they have unlimited cap space.

watatank

Coach
Joel Thompson for mine. He should be prime for the best years of his career, he can be a rep player for mine. But most of the squad has upside, so hopefully good times ahead for us. Also very interested to see what Sam Williams can do, hopefully he has a fair shot at securing a halves spot.

Dont know why Mata'utia continues to be mentioned. He will be doing well to be a first grade regular, let alone have a breakout season.

watatank

Coach
I hope it is Rein who has the break out season to put all you to rest with the hooking situation. He was excellent in his first year. Copped 2nd year syndrone like many good players and now not rated by some. If our pathetic coach kept Fein at Hooker last year and had Rein rotating it would have been much easier for him. It's not Rein's fault the best hooker at the club was picked at 7 and he had to shoulder all the responsibility in one of the toughest position.

If a 34 year old Fien is better than Rein then what hope are we supposed to have?

P.S. why do people ignore the fact that while 2012 was Rein's first full season, he played 15 games in 2011, and started most of them?