What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Kenny: A new beginning

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-two-great-clubs/story-e6frezz0-1225777189050

A new beginning for two great clubs

* By Brett Kenny
* September 21, 2009 12:00AM

I HAVE never been one for bold predictions. I admit I thought our season was over when we lost to Cronulla. And I had serious doubts when we lost 37-0 to the Dragons in the final round.

I couldn't see a way back in just a week. But they did it. Now, I can't see any reason why we can't win the premiership.

What a turn-around it has been.

I've never seen a better U-turn. From wooden spoon contenders to the verge of a grand final. What a wonderful job Daniel Anderson and the players have done.

They just keep getting better and better.

And only the Bulldogs stand in their way.

It certainly brings back the memories.

There is so much history between the clubs and the atmosphere at ANZ on Friday will be electric.

I was lucky to play in three grand finals against the Dogs and I think both teams are really going to lap up this week.

It's been a long time since Parramatta and the Bulldogs were vying for a spot in the grand final or playing against each other in the finals, but both clubs are on the way up and I also think this could be the start of a new era of rivalry.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

As far as I see it this is real toss of the coin.

Parramatta are on a roll, but the Bulldogs are refreshed. I think you will find the Eels start favourites, but it will be very even.

They are coming up against a very good team, who will have Brett Kimmorley back and that will be a huge lift for them.

The big question for the Bulldogs is whether the week off is a bonus or works against them. I think it will probably be good for them because of the fact they get Kimmorley back.

The fact they were able to win without him and now have him back will give them a huge boost in confidence.

It goes without saying they are a better team with him making the calls.

But from Parramatta's perspective they've got the momentum. They are winning games and they are on a roll.

I like our chances. But there won't be much in it, maybe six points to eight points.

As for whether they can win the comp. Well, it's a week to week proposition and they've got as much chance as the Bulldogs, the Storm and the Broncos.

I can't wait for Friday. Even if the result doesn't go our way, I'm excited about where we are and how far we've come.

When Brian Smith resigned, Jason Taylor got them into the finals but this time there seems to be a better future to the turn-around.

You can see guys are going to develop and become better players.

Some guys like Hayne are starting to mature and you can see he will be not just a better player on the field but a better person off it, as will the younger guys as well.

With the input of the new buys next year the future looks great.

And then there's Daniel Mortimer. As an old five-eighth, I've got to say I'm thrilled we've got him.

Not that I ever imagined cheering for a Mortimer in the blue and gold.

He's a terrific little player. He plays the traditional five-eighth type role and I believe he can make the position his as long as he wants it. As long as he keeps his head down and his bum up and keeps doing the job I think you will find he will be in that position for many years to come.

Hill Troll

Juniors
"I was lucky to play in three grand finals against the Dogs"

Let me see we lost to them in 1984, won in 1986... I can't think of the other one!
Is Bert thinking of the semi-final loss in 1985 as a Grand Final?

grapeape

Juniors
Poor Hagan, even Parra greats are doing everything they possible not to mention his name:lol:

DA is getting alot of credit, but wasnt this team built by Hagan?

i can accept next years team will be different and will be built by DA.

Gronk

Staff member
It's been a great turn around, but it's not like we haven't been here before for a long time. This time two years ago we were preparing to play the Storm in the GF qualifier.

lingard

Coach
DA is getting alot of credit, but wasnt this team built by Hagan?

i can accept next years team will be different and will be built by DA.

You're right. I'm not a Michael Hagan dsiciple or anything, but have to say he never gets any credit for anything; and it seems that anything that is wrong with the club is all his fault. He wasn't that bad and I think circumstances went against him.

lingard

Coach
I love it when a player of Kenny's legendary status starts saying things like: "start of side-bar; skip to end of side-bar". It's what this club is all about.

yy_cheng

Coach
hagan put the squad together but didn't know what to do with it.

DA got rid of the ones he didn't want: Finch, Cordoba, Weller, TT and transformed the team's attittude.

I would say that this team is what it is today because of da and not hages

forward pass

Coach
"I was lucky to play in three grand finals against the Dogs"

Let me see we lost to them in 1984, won in 1986... I can't think of the other one!
Is Bert thinking of the semi-final loss in 1985 as a Grand Final?

He is confused - there was just the two. How could you forget something like that??