What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart

OVP

Coach
HE MUST be NSW origin fullback. Mini really shouldnt even be playing, thats how bad his injury was. But Brett Stewart MUST be there !! A Star in the making !! Good luck son.

Disco

Bench
man i hate how they move threads, you get half the discussion here that you would get in the NRL forum

anyway, i agree to an extent, brett is easily playing better, but he has to play for country yet. Then providing he kills it in that and Minni's form hasn't improved then Stewart should be NSW No1

Garts

Bench
If he can improve his kick returns I would say he would be a definate starter but at the moment I would have Mini ahead of him if he is playing well, maybe even McKinnon.

TooheysNew

Coach
man i hate how they move threads, you get half the discussion here that you would get in the NRL forum
Exactly the point. Encouraging discussion in the appropriate forum.

Garts

Bench
MSIH said:
Haha, funny man Garts.

Seriously, you don't believe that do you?

I rate McKinnon, he has the ability to break tackles and is always lurking around the ruck for offloads. Stewy will never break tackles like McKinnon but he has other attributes but he needs to lurk around a bit more looking for offloads.

Still woulds not swap him for any fullback in the comp though.

chileman

Coach
Garts said:
If he can improve his kick returns I would say he would be a definate starter but at the moment I would have Mini ahead of him if he is playing well, maybe even McKinnon.
Going on form THIS season (so far)Stewert should be getting the nod over Mini, but Mini is still making his comeback!
Any smokies out there....I hear rumours Peachy is being contemplated?

domdom

Juniors
stewie has improved alot since last season, and is becoming a more complete player as the rounds tick by.

as long as mini is out of form stewie is in with a shout, although i do rate mckinnon as well, he has shown some pretty good form so far. very damaging running in broken play and at the line.

who else is there? presto campbell had a great game as a reinvented 1 against the panfers on the weekend. he is getting better under the high ball. might have a chance.

also, hodgson had a good game against the cows and might also be in the mix.

Garts

Bench
wittyfan said:
Gees, NSW is struggling for depth these days.

If you can not see Stewart has talent your knowledge of Rugby League is even more non existant than I thought.

icewind

Juniors
Preston Campbell will not play no 1 for NSW. It is between Minichiello, Stewart and McKinnon. Stewart has the inside running at this stage imo, but never count out the count. (hehe)

MSIH

Bench
Garts said:
I rate McKinnon, he has the ability to break tackles and is always lurking around the ruck for offloads. Stewy will never break tackles like McKinnon but he has other attributes but he needs to lurk around a bit more looking for offloads.

Still woulds not swap him for any fullback in the comp though.

I rate McKinnon as well. He's just no Stewart.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Always thought highly of Stewart but never actually followed him closely. To those who watch him week in week out, what's he need to work on?

Philby

Juniors
Mini is still the best number 1 in the game. In a terrible side Mini has still been dangerous breaking at least one tackle a run. Mini isnt out of form but his team is. Stewart is a close 2nd and will get the country origin jumper and maybe a wing spot for NSW.

aussies1st

Staff member
Stewart would be the favourite right now, McKinnon has gone a bit quiet after his awesome first game.

willvillain

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
Always thought highly of Stewart but never actually followed him closely. To those who watch him week in week out, what's he need to work on?

In recent years I would've said he needed to work on his 'safeness' under the high-ball, his kick returns and I would love to see him either develop a step or tackle-breaking ability.

These days I have no worries about his high-ball work (no concerns when a bomb goes up, unlike 2 years ago after the Broncos disaster at Suncorp....), but he still needs to run the ball back a bit harder from kicks (although this as well has improved this year, he still doesn't go as hard as Mini or Hunt).

I don't think he'll ever have the tackle-busting ability of Mini or McKinnon, it's just not his style of game, but a step would be nice.

He's a fairly complete player these days, and his ability to sniff out a try is as good as anyone in the comp.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
domdom said:
also, hodgson had a good game against the cows and might also be in the mix.

I can't see the NSW selectors ever picking Hodgeson at fullback again. I can hear the QLD second row salivating over the oppurtunity to pull off another "Gordon Tallis human hammer throw".

Latest posts