What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewarts trial

hugzy

Juniors
lol calm down guys 98% of criminal cases cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt. so unless brett "the hitman" stewart either confesses or they find damning evidence ("he raped me *sobs" is not damning evidence), he'll be my fantasy fullback next year :0)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Well, none of todays witnesses on the stand, all the Crown's, have looked bad on Stewart's behalf at all. The cops would want to have something better to offer than anything that they have so far

eagles4eva

First Grade
Well, none of todays witnesses on the stand, all the Crown's, have looked bad on Stewart's behalf at all. The cops would want to have something better to offer than anything that they have so far

I couldnt find anything about todays trial session on the net, was that a have or hasnt??

Dave Q

Coach
I agree, the mental illness is soooo hard to gauge someone’s credibility in regards to what is reality and or fantasy…

The unfortunate thing through all this is the assumption that people with mental illness are either full of crap or not in control of their thoughts or actions..

I am one hoping the Brett is innocent, but also support people with mental illness..

Yes, I agree.

So far as I understand, courts can and do differentiate between people who have a mental illness being right and correct and not being right and correct.

Many of these people, can zoom in and out of clear consciousness and clear thinking.

Its not like its "zombie level" all day 24/7.

Mental illness is very common in Australia. Something like 1 in 7 has some form of it. If they couldnt function at all, we would not have a society.

Id rather spend time with a kindly and peaceful insane person than a violent and hateful sane person.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I couldnt find anything about todays trial session on the net, was that a have or hasnt??

No witnesses have done him any harm is what I was trying to say. All cops have confirmed he was not heavily intoxicated, maybe slightly, but not smashed like the papers were having everyone believe. Some parts about the girls state of mind is a big tick in the Stewart box as well

Chuck Silvertails into google and visit their site, best updates you will find on the case, is a bloke sitting in there giving a balanced report of each days proceedings

Apparently Wolfman went and spent the day in court as support today

manly40gimps0

Juniors
No witnesses have done him any harm is what I was trying to say. All cops have confirmed he was not heavily intoxicated, maybe slightly, but not smashed like the papers were having everyone believe. Some parts about the girls state of mind is a big tick in the Stewart box as well

Chuck Silvertails into google and visit their site, best updates you will find on the case, is a bloke sitting in there giving a balanced report of each days proceedings

Apparently Wolfman went and spent the day in court as support today
Thanks for the heads up BH.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Brett Stewart breaks down as jury finds him not guilty of sexually assaulting girl

Kim Arlington

September 29, 2010 - 10:51AM
Rugby league star Brett Stewart has been found not guilty of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl.
Stewart, supported in court by his girlfriend Jaime Baker, his parents, family, friends and teammates broke down and cried as the Sydney jury of five women and seven men returned its verdict after less than two hours of deliberation.
Stewart, 25, pleaded not guilty to two counts of indecent assault and a charge of sexual intercourse without consent over allegations he tongue-kissed and digitally penetrated the girl.
The alleged assault occurred outside Stewart's Manly home on March 6 last year, after he caught a taxi home following the Sea Eagles' season launch.
The teenager, who cannot be named, told the court she had been smoking outside the townhouse complex when a man she recognised from television - but whose name she did not know - got out of a taxi.
"I remember saying to him, 'You've been drinking, haven't you?'" she told the court.
The girl said that after some conversation, the man looked around then "just leant in and kissed me. I pushed him away then he came in again and put his tongue in my mouth."
The man allegedly put his hand up her shorts and touched her.
The court heard the teen had been diagnosed with a mental illness. But the Crown prosecutor, Peter Skinner, told the jury there was absolutely no reason for her to have made up such a story.
In his own testimony, Stewart said the girl made advances towards him. He said she had approached him, asking "Are you Brett Stewart?" and if she had seen him on TV. He said he resisted when she tried to kiss him and denied making unlawful advances or forcing himself on her in any way.
The courtroom was so packed during the two-week trial that observers were sprawled on the stairs between the seats of the public gallery.
Manly teammates Anthony Watmough and David "Wolfman" Williams were among those who turned up to support Stewart while high-profile witnesses, including Manly coach Des Hasler and deputy senior Crown prosecutor Margaret Cunneen, SC, gave evidence of his good character.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/brett-stewart-breaks-down-as-jury-finds-him-not-guilty-of-sexually-assaulting-girl-20100929-15wgn.html

eagles4eva

First Grade
Great outcome, now hopefully he can get back to his best for next year...

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
The jury as the finder of fact has spoken.

And in all of the circumstances, from the limited information available to me, I conclude that it is a just and fair result.

Let no-one now speak ill of him. He is innocent.

Congratulations to Brett and we look forward to seeing him back in the game next year.

On with the show.

eagles4eva

First Grade
The jury as the finder of fact has spoken.

And in all of the circumstances, from the limited information available to me, I conclude that it is a just and fair result.

Let no-one now speak ill of him. He is innocent.

Congratulations to Brett and we look forward to seeing him back in the game next year.

On with the show.

Now all the specualtion and reporting can be put to bed, he will be able to concentrate of his recovery and do what he does best....

Score a crap load of tries for the mighty Eagles....

CC_Eagle

First Grade
'Beyond reasonable doubt'.

The single and most important aspect of the case.

Very good news, however tbh I didn't expect anything different.

MSIH

Bench
Would've been found not guilty on the balance of probabilities as well. Absolutely outrageous that this went to trial. f**ken makes me angry.

Great result though, was embarrassingly happy when I heard.

grandorient

Bench
Great news Guys,

Quite frankly, it's what I believed all along

One of the important issues now is though, all fans from the other clubs respect this verdict, and don't put sh!t on the man, wether on or off the field.

For mine, Brett is a fantastic footballer and would be a credit to any team. I also believe that that Brett Stewart and Darius Boyd are the 2 best fullbacks running around at the moment, quite a ways above that dirty merkin who I think plays for Melbourne.

Now this is resolved, you guys can concentrate on next year and I wish you all the best.

GO

Cagey Mac

Bench
Good luck to Brett on a fair result

I do think that it needed to be looked at in depth however, whether or not a trial was warranted or police investigations could have uncovered more facts prior to placing charges. The innuendo that would have prevailed if the full and frank process had not been followed, would have sullied the players name for the rest of his life.

His name must be seen as being crystal clear now and we should all wish him well for the rest of his career.

Dave Q

Coach
Instead of being hated for being a possible rapist, he can now just be hated for being the Manly fullback. i.e business as usual. ;-)