What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Noble - Good career move?

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It seems Wigan have officially been given permission to speak to Brian Noble about taking over at the JJB.

I find this puzzling. Granted Noble is out of contract soon, but to step down from a side that has appeared in the last 5 Grand Finals and who are current Champions and World Champions to take over the bottom side is bizarre to say the least.

Why step down from an easy ride at a successful club to take over at a club abused as badly by its management as Wigan is? Noble would have no say in signings, team selection or expectations, Mo does all of that.

I know they will be offering a record contract for him to move, but isn't it a bit of a risk to take what will probably be a one year job instead of continuing the dynasty he built at Bradford? The money will be good for a year until he is sacked and the payoff would be good, but the damage that would do to his career wouldn't be easily repaired.

gaterooze

Bench
It'll be a challenge, and for someone like Noble who has done everything in Super League, maybe that's exactly what he wants.

roughyed8

Juniors
Noble tonight coached The Bulls to a 20-18 win at Leeds when asked if he had any comment regarding the wigan job he gave a simple one word answer NO and walked off.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
roughyed8 said:
Noble tonight coached The Bulls to a 20-18 win at Leeds when asked if he had any comment regarding the wigan job he gave a simple one word answer NO and walked off.

He is going to sign with Wigan tomorrow. He has given a pretty emotional goodbye speach on Radio 5 Live and is now certain to coach Wigan.

Quite how Maurice plans to interview Brian Noble tomorrow is another question. I take it he is not even going to bother turning up at Knowsley Road then? The protests for his head that the Wigan fans are planning will be fruitless.

I wonder how long it will be before Fielden and Deacon sign for Wigan? Millward confirmed today that Maurice Lindsey put a bid in for Fielden last week. I would suspect that to gain momentum now Noble is at Wigan.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
He'd be smart to do so. They'll agree to a huge deal that would be for at least 3 years and when Brian can't fix things in the first 12 months they'll sack him and pay him out too. Alot of easy cash for a year's worth of coaching. Then once they sack him there will still be quite a few clubs after his signature and he can re-establish himself from there.

bartman

Immortal
After winning last season with Bradford, he's probably up for a new challenge of some sort? Lindsay seems to have a blank cheque waiting for any player who wants to come across, so maybe they're banking on Noble bringing a few, or at least being more of a drawcard than Millward - if they can survive the drop by then.

buccaneer

Juniors
Won everything at Bradford and needs a new challenge. Not sure if Wigan is a challenge too far. With stories that Bradford are struggling financially flying around, then he needs a job were he gets paid.

Wigan fans are now hailing the finding of the another Messiah in the space of twelve months, but Noble's teams seem to be built on power and I don't believe that Wigan have that power. O.K Wigan fans are hoping some of Bradfords pack follow him, just as they did with Saints players & Millward. People have questioned whether Noble's teams have a plan B once power has failed, well if he goes to Wigan I guess we will all find out.

Good Luck Brian
Agent Millwards cover is blown, time for Bradford to send an agent in.

playdaball

Bench
Having just watched Wigan get thrashed by St Helens I'd suggest that Noble has a big job ahead of him. They'll probabaly survive relegation but how do they go about building for next year and beyond. Start with the halves they are useless and lack creativity. A bit more experience would help as well. Some of the tackles they missed were shocking.
I hope that Wigan do not go down as theyt are the most famous club in our game.

JasonE

Bench
The ins and outs for 2007 will be very interesting, my early predictions would be
IN: Danny Sculthorpe, Trent Barrett, Chev Walker, Jamie Langley and Paul Deacon

Out: Moran, Orr, Dallas, Seu Seu and Vaealiki.

team to look like
1. Ashton
2. Richards
3. Goulding
4. Walker
5. Calderwood
6. Barrett
7. Deacon

8. D.Sculthorpe
9. Higham
10. Logan
11. Hock
12. Langley
13. O'Loughlin

14. Iafeta P
15. Hansen
16. Godwin
17. Fletcher

terracesider

Juniors
buccaneer said:
People have questioned whether Noble's teams have a plan B once power has failed, well if he goes to Wigan I guess we will all find out.

The evidence from both Bradford's and GB's performances seems indicate there's not much of Plan A other than battering away fown the middle and that there's definitely no plan B.

MrCharisma

Bench
What the hell.... I don't go online for a few days and the world looks like it's coming to an end.

Not sure how to take this... I though Millward would have been Wigans long term coach but obviously not. All the best for Noble... at least this will get the Bradford bias (hopefully) out of GB

I hope Nobby doesn't leave, the guy can do no wrong. He is the best coach in SL without a doubt.

He know's the game inside out and I for one would be gutted if he left.

Having said that, I could see why he would want to go, the challenge. It would be a massive boast to say that he kept Wigan up and maybe even got them in to the play-offs. I know they are a fair way off but there is a hell of a long way to go until the end of the season.

The stong word is that it is a done deal and his last game will be on Tuesday. He is also taking Jamie Langley and Joe Vagana.

If he does sign on the dotted line then so be it. He has been a great servant to the Bradford club.

Thanks for everthing Nobby!

buccaneer

Juniors
JasonE said:
The ins and outs for 2007 will be very interesting, my early predictions would be
IN: Danny Sculthorpe, Trent Barrett, Chev Walker, Jamie Langley and Paul Deacon

Out: Moran, Orr, Dallas, Seu Seu and Vaealiki.

team to look like
1. Ashton
2. Richards
3. Goulding
4. Walker
5. Calderwood
6. Barrett
7. Deacon

8. D.Sculthorpe
9. Higham
10. Logan
11. Hock
12. Langley
13. O'Loughlin

14. Iafeta P
15. Hansen
16. Godwin
17. Fletcher

Could you not see Higham following Millward again, it would appear that Noble isn't that fussed with Higham either, as he didn't want him over Newton.