What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith released in 2007

QldPanther

Juniors
Brian Smith and Wayne Bennett are boring coaches

both clubs need a change

sooner Bennett goes too, the better for the broncos

strider

Post Whore
eelaholic said:
I doubt this whole decision was made without consulting smithy. More goes on behind the scenes in the football office than we would ever know, and some are quick to judge without knowing all the facts.

DAMN F'N STRAIGHT!!! .... I knew i voted u most intelligent poster for a reason.

We all think we know so much about the Eels, but we probably know f all....I'm betting even the guys on here closest to the club don't know a sh*tload.

Stagger eel

Staff member
pazzaeel said:
eelavation seems to know who the replacement is, or atleast has a fair idea...why dont u enlighten us all?

I got a phone call from a contact on Tuesday giving me some details that was released in the media this morning and a little bit of extra which I can't divulge for the basic reason that it's pure speculation, however those who are naive enough to believe that JT has the job done and dusted, think again.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pantherin2005 said:
Brian Smith and Wayne Bennett are boring coaches

both clubs need a change

sooner Bennett goes too, the better for the broncos

have you been coached by both?

number8

Juniors
eelz47 said:
are you sure bout that???

I know he has had his selections & method questioned in the past but club footy is different. Age & readiness comes into it. He has to decide not only the best player for the position but also introduce that player to his role.

Do I think he would better manage the superior resources a rep coaching position brings.... Every player knowing that all he has to do is the same stuff he got picked for.... & being able to pick the cream from every club....?

Do I think he could manage this better than The incumbents....?

You bet I do! I'm sure!

Redback71

First Grade
im gonna hate seeing smithy at another club thats for sure... also he knows to bloody much which would be a huge dis-advantage to the eels when they face him.

number8

Juniors
I would be devastated if he was at another club & we had to play him. I don't think there would be any spite & I'm sure he would not be seeking any retribution or anything. He is a great coach & I don't think 10 years here means anything when it comes to coaching against us. He has a plan for every team & when he gets his players to execute the plans he wins. Every time. He's a smart coach & he'll work you out without any inside help.

Brian knows the administration of the club have supported him for very long time & over which many have had the knives out for him, some fans included. Fitzy & the front office backed him through thick & thin, & so they should, he's been great here. But they have copped plenty of critisism over that time.

I can't imagine there would be any animosity from either Brian or the club over the decision. It will be business as usuall next season & he will be a dedicated Eel until the day that contract expires. Maybe a bit after that too. Given his stint here a lot of his heart has gone into the club. I know he still holds the Dragons in high regard & I'm sure Parramatta will be no different.

yy_cheng

Coach
Man, if he was coaching another team, they could well and surely point out Timmy's weaknesses for all to see.

number8

Juniors
Everyone already knows everyone elses weakness. It's getting your players to a level that they can take advantage of that knowledge that sets some coaches apart. In that regard I'd be scared.

ed bbay

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Does your mummy know you use her computer?

its not my mothers computer its actualy your computer i use it when your out !
after ive played with something else of yours ? .

ed bbay

Juniors
NorthShoreEel said:
Why would you waste your 3 minutes of internet time for the week on the only PC in Batemans Bay, writing a post that proves how geniused you are?

You should spend your 3 minutes attempting to learn something - spelling may be a good start?

By the way, do you find it quicker to type with 2 extra fingers?

Do you know, they were considering Batemans Bay for the remake of Deliverance? Problem was, they couldnt find any locals to play the "normal" people.:-({|= (This is the closest thing they have to a banjo on here)

u really hate being minor premiers because it hurts so much more when u dont get the trophy . we all love it because we cant wait to see u get smashed 29 to nill in the major semies WELL DONE ANOTHER TOP SEASON

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ed bbay said:
its not my mothers computer its actualy your computer i use it when your out !
after ive played with something else of yours ? .

carefull what you say troll, or you're outta here

number8

Juniors
ed bbay said:
u really hate being minor premiers because it hurts so much more when u dont get the trophy . we all love it because we cant wait to see u get smashed 29 to nill in the major semies WELL DONE ANOTHER TOP SEASON

:iwstupid:

I don't hate having the minor premiership. Its an outstanding acheivement in itself. The only people bagging it are the teams who ended the season with nothing. I know what my preference is! ;-)​

Cayless hoping Eels ignore coach saga
Email Print Normal font Large font November 17, 2005 - 5:09PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementParramatta captain Nathan Cayless hopes continued speculation over Brian Smith's replacement as coach will not destabilise the NRL team next year.

Eels management has decided that Smith's contract will not be renewed at the end of 2006, giving the coach one final shot at taking the club to its first premiership since 1986.

Parramatta assistant coach Jason Taylor is favoured to take the reins at the end of 2006 but the Eels have said they won't be rushing into any decision.

"We've got next year to concentrate on and hopefully it doesn't become too much of a distraction," said Cayless.

"Hopefully people will allow us to play our footy and get on with the job next year rather than worrying about who's going to be coaching in 2007.

"Brian's very experienced. He's been in the game for a long time so that won't affect him and it won't affect the team either."

In his 10 years as Eels coach, Smith has been subjected to heavy criticism from certain sections of the media, mainly for his team's ordinary finals record and the loss of a swag of talented players to other NRL clubs.

The Eels smashed a host of records en route to the 2001 grand final only to be ambushed by a red-hot Newcastle while this year they bowed out in the preliminary final loss to North Queensland after claiming the minor premiership.

Smith's finals record as Eels coach is eight wins and eight losses since 1997, but four of those defeats were in preliminary finals and another in the 2001 decider.

Cayless defended his long-time coach, saying Smith had been unfairly attacked over the years, especially in 2003 and last year when the rebuilding Eels failed to make the top eight.

"When something goes wrong it's his fault but when the team's going well he doesn't seem to get much of the credit either," said Cayless.

"It's tough but that's life as a footy coach. He can handle it. He's pretty tough."

Parramatta hooker Mark Riddell said Smith's axing came as little surprise to the players, who had known for some time.

"It's not the big news that everybody thinks it is," said the former St George Illawarra rake.

"We had a fair inkling it was going to happen. He's been at the club for 10 years."

© 2005 AAP

Latest posts