What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith Responds to Terry Hill

Parrasque

Juniors
Hindmarsh hard to replace: Eels coach
Date: 07/09/05
By Steve Jancetic
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parramatta coach Brian Smith says it will take a team effort to overcome the loss of Test second rower Nathan Hindmarsh because no single player can replace the workaholic forward.

The Eels will take on Manly in Sunday's fourth qualifying final at Parramatta Stadium minus Hindmarsh, with the backrower sidelined until at least the third week of the finals after tearing the posterior cruciate in his knee in Friday night's win over Brisbane.

One thing going in the Eels' favour is that they have fared remarkably well without their forward leader, winning all the games Hindmarsh took little or no part in this season, including the minor premiership-clinching win over the Broncos.

With Hindmarsh on representative duty for the NSW Origin side, the Eels thrashed Newcastle and South Sydney, as well as beating Manly 18-12 in their only previous clash with the Sea Eagles this season.

"He's one of the best players in the game," Smith said.

"The only thing that gives us a little bit of comfort is we've played without him, including the other night when we lost him early, four times this year and we've won all of those games.

"We're hoping it will be five."

The loss of Hindmarsh has been compounded by the suspension of fellow backrower Fuifui Moimoi, who was banned for nine matches on a high tackle charge, ruling him out until the early rounds of next season.

Smith said he would look to the likes of Glenn Morrison, Chad Robinson, Dean Widders and Adam Peek to fill the void left by Hindmarsh.

"We can't replace Hindy, there's just too much in that oddly shaped package that he presents," Smith said.

"You can't get any one person to do it but I think between our backrowers I think we'll get the job done.

"Nathan's leadership is by example. He's not one of our great orators.

"He's a great player and just his presence is a stimulation for everybody, a motivation to do it the way he does it, but we've got other players there."

Morrison, who normally defends on the edges of the ruck, is set to move in a little closer to the action in defence, occupying the space in between the front rowers normally the domain of Hindmarsh.

While confident his Hindmarsh-less backrow could contain the Sea Eagles trio of Ben Kennedy, Anthony Watmough and Luke Williamson, Smith said he was still hopeful of having his workhorse back later in the playoffs.

"There's not one person in this club that wouldn't like to have Nathan back in," Smith said.

"If we can keep the whole thing going for him and if he does get over his problem, it'll be fantastic. I would hate to think that he will miss out on all of the games in the playoff series."

Smith admitted he was losing sleep in the run-in to the finals, but said the temporary insomnia wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

"I've coached over 400 games and I haven't not worried about any one game," Smith said.

"I'm what you'd call a professional worrier.

"I'm always worried, and I'm getting increasingly worried as the week goes on.

"For me that's a good sign when I start to get butterflies and concerns and wake up at two o'clock in the morning trying to think of how I can shut down a play or come up with something.

"And at two o'clock last night I was wide awake, so it's about par for the course."

Asked if he too lay awake at night worrying about upcoming games, rookie halfback Tim Smith said: "No. I leave that up to Brian.

"I'm pretty relaxed, I just go out there and try and play footy."

Brian Smith failed to way into a slanging match with Manly veteran Terry Hill, who said the Eels would be "sweating" in the lead-up to Sunday's clash.

"I didn't realise he knew how hot it was out there today," Smith offered.

"I think you're kind of confusing us with someone who cares."

http://seven.com.au/news/sport/105552

Macca_

Coach
Physique said:
"I think you're kind of confusing us with someone who cares."
Yeah how good was that! They had it on a news reel on tv earlier and was it great!

parra pete

Referee
I am, as everyone on this forum knows, an unashamed Brian Smith fan. I think he is so
professional and astute that our Club is the better for his presence as head coach.
I am fully aware of the players he has released and as I look back now I am convinced that he has been fully justified. For every player let go, someone of equal ability has been brought into the Club.
Good onya Smithy. If anyone deserves a premiership it is YOU.
You wear your heart on your sleeve. You are a tremendous role model - and I for one am very proud to have you as the coach of the Club. :clap:

scottyeel

Bench
parra pete said:
I am, as everyone on this forum knows, an unashamed Brian Smith fan. I think he is so
professional and astute that our Club is the better for his presence as head coach.
I am fully aware of the players he has released and as I look back now I am convinced that he has been fully justified. For every player let go, someone of equal ability has been brought into the Club.
You wear your heart on your sleeve. You are a tremendous role model - and I for one am very proud to have you as the coach of the Club. :clap:
Brian is the only NRL coach that gets bagged for letting players go yet every coach does it.
I can't ever remember him letting a player that went on to win the Dally M the next season.;-)

Macca_

Coach
scottyeel said:
I can't ever remember him letting a player that went on to win the Dally M the next season.;-)
:lol: And didn't I let a few of them know today. At least they kept Willie! :lol:

Macca_

Coach
And even though I didn't think Anasta deserved 5/8 of the year I let them know about letting him go too. Next seasons Dally M right there I said :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
parra pete said:

I respect your posts and your passion.

But can you honestly say that the players are of equal quality?

Jason Cayless--------->Craig Stapleton

Andrew Ryan---------->Darren Treacy

PJ Marsh------------->Andrew McFadden

etc.

Latest posts