What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith the club in some capacity - Y or N?

Would Smithy's return be good for us?

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Like it says on the tin. Do you think Brian Smith has something to offer the club (in a rugby league capacity)? And do you think he shoud come back as head coach?

phantom eel

First Grade
I have nothing against Brian Smith. He got on the wrong side of a couple of players during his ten year spell as coach, but he's now six years more mature and experienced, and at one step removed from head coach (coaching director, like Gould) could definitely offer the club something we've been missing.

IFR33K

Coach
In comparison to our signings of recent times, I'd take BS in a heart beat.

Man sure knows his footy.

golfer

Juniors
As much as some people do not like his methods there is no doubt that he has the capacity to build strength within the playing roster. I realise that he did not get us a premiership but at least the teams were competitive and in my view was extremely unlucky to not get the big one.

strider

Post Whore
i think getting the right coach is #1 priority .... if brian can work well with whoever that is then i think he'd offer alot

i don't know ethier way really. it would depend on the coach and if the coach can work with him.
I would prefer Neil Henry as coach myself and not sure if he would work with a
"overseer" above him nor should he have to as he has plenty of experiance.

mrt_spec

Juniors
Definitely needed in some capacity above coach, one of the complaints from our recent lot is having to do "too much" - things they shouldn't have to worry about they've had to be concerned with due to poor administration.

+1 BS back with a coach he helps to choose.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
We just need the best coach we can get. We need someone that will work with what we have and try and make them better rather than complaining that he doesn't have the talent.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon with Brian smith in a manager role is a very good appointment as long as he aren't coaching the nrl side

Eels Dude

Coach
Smith can build a club, which is something we need at the moment. He's an excellent identifior of junior talent too. I'd take him as a coaching director or football manager role in a heartbeat, though I'd be a bit more sceptical of him in a head coaching role.

Haynzy

First Grade
I think he would struggle to not take over if he was a coaching director.
From what I understand he is a bit of a control freak.

Daneel

Bench
I think he would struggle to not take over if he was a coaching director.
From what I understand he is a bit of a control freak.

This.

In theory appointing BS as a coaching director sounds like a good idea to me if he had little to nothing to do with the players. I think he may struggle with that and start sticking his beak in where its not wanted by coach and players.

Eelogical

Referee
Crazy to get him back. May as well employ Anderson and Hagan as assist coaches and Kearney as the waterboy. I hope JT gets the gig, solo. He deserves to be devoid of as much interference as possible.

Kenny

Juniors
The Brian Smith years seem like the glory years compared to now. I was a critic in his last years but there is no disputing the club has gone down hill since he was replaced by that numb skull Michael Hagan. He has never won a premiership but he has made 4 grand finals and won minor premierships. How many coaches can say that?

There is no one better at building great teams from average players. I don't want him as the coach but he would be a perfect football manager. He is good at the moneyball technique of finding players who perform above their perceived ability.

I am all for him coming on board as a football manager.

spiderdan

Bench
Brian smith's way of building the foundations of strong league clubs reminds me of Alex fergusson at Man U. The bloke is a professional. If he is hired to build the club and have minimal say in the running of the nrl team then that's what he'd do.

If he were hired in that role then jt running firsts I think would work well.