What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith the club in some capacity - Y or N?

Would Smithy's return be good for us?

• Total voters

cv8z

Juniors
Releasing Buderus was a great move back then. He would have been asking huge money and he was no longer worth it.

I bet he's on a lot less now.
You can't find spine players like that everyday as is evident of their hookers since. He was worth every cent.
His replacement seu seu ended up a dud
How many players his age are on the same money as they were in their prime?
Letting him go was typical of BS rubbing players the wrong way

Eels Dude

Coach
For every player Smith let go at least he was able to attract worthwhile players also. I for one would love to see him made our coaching director or football general manager, in fact it will be the best news I've heard regarding the Eels in a long time.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Any news paper that allows this goose and R Stuart to write for them is scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Go peddle your controversy seeking garbage somewhere else.
Rubbish.

TheRam

Coach
You can't find spine players like that everyday as is evident of their hookers since. He was worth every cent.
His replacement seu seu ended up a dud
How many players his age are on the same money as they were in their prime?
Letting him go was typical of BS rubbing players the wrong way

Especially leaders. They are the ones he has the biggest problem with.
If he were to come back I predict that we will not win the premiership while he is here. We will do well but no leaders means no GL victory. Same as before.

Delboy

First Grade
BS is not being hired as a coach, but to set up the club beneath the NRL. The criticism of players etc will be whoever coaches,if you don't think he can set the club up to perform better, then you have lost it.

Nitpicking is our speciality

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Especially leaders. They are the ones he has the biggest problem with.

Fair point.

If he were to come back I predict that we will not win the premiership while he is here. We will do well but no leaders means no GL victory. Same as before.

With Smith removed from the playing group, and the players answering to a coach other than Brian Smith, the old problems could be averted. But you're right that there's real potential for a Brian Smith appointment to go horribly wrong, down the track.

But short term, he could be the best thing for this club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
BS is not being hired as a coach, but to set up the club beneath the NRL. The criticism of players etc will be whoever coaches,if you don't think he can set the club up to perform better, then you have lost it.

So is he as good as confirmed?

Forty20

First Grade

Which is really the perfect role for him. You would be hard pressed to find someone that questions his gift for identifying and accelerating talented young players. In this capacity we should be able to extract the best of that talent without having him micromanage players - thus avoiding most of the problems that have come in his last few stints.

It has already been touched on from an excerpt from Hayne but if he can also re-introduce over-arching playing structures (in conjunction with our future head coach) through all levels of the club's playing rosters we would be at a much better place for talent acceleration.

Parraren

Bench
Remember the days of club championships?

Smith was a master at setting up strong squads across all grades and that's why they will (probably) get him back IMO but not as head coach.

Delboy

First Grade
if BS assumes that role, you have the opportunity of appointing a younger coach (a la Trent Robinson) who can spend all his time and effort on the NRL, seems an almost perfect fit

No need to bring in anyone from Qld, there are a couple of people who could do the role locally

spiderdan

Bench
Remember the days of club championships?

Smith was a master at setting up strong squads across all grades and that's why they will (probably) get him back IMO but not as head coach.
he also had a good knack for developing good stop gap players that could fit into first grade at the drop of a hat (a lot of the time - kusto and crouch seemed to be a recurrent failure). i think this is what hayne was alluding to when he spoke about smith about a week or so ago.

if BS assumes that role, you have the opportunity of appointing a younger coach (a la Trent Robinson) who can spend all his time and effort on the NRL, seems an almost perfect fit

No need to bring in anyone from Qld, there are a couple of people who could do the role locally
i like the idea a lot. when smith had parra firing and the envy of the league (out of the teams that almost won titles), there were a few of his up and coming coaches that were poached by others as they were seen as the next big thing, similar to how bennett's, and now bellamy's understudies are being looked at by other clubs.

smith overseeing football while someone else focuses solely on the nrl team would be ideal i think.

TheRam

Coach
Fair point.

With Smith removed from the playing group, and the players answering to a coach other than Brian Smith, the old problems could be averted. But you're right that there's real potential for a Brian Smith appointment to go horribly wrong, down the track.

But short term, he could be the best thing for this club.

Short term he nearly always is good for a club, it's after the second or third season that his paranoid personality seems to take real affect.

The coach and him will eventually clash, that you can take to the bank.

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
Has Brian ever left a club in worse shape than when he took over ? No ? Then he's an improvement on every coach we've had since he left ( excluding stand in coaches )

Bigfella

Coach
Short term he nearly always is good for a club, it's after the second or third season that his paranoid personality seems to take real affect.

The coach and him will eventually clash, that you can take to the bank.

I took it to the bank ram.

They've asked me to stop going in there.