What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith thoughts

grandorient

Bench
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere guys.

After all the concern over Brian last year, when players were going off left right and centre, and Brians name was mud all over Newcastle, what is the current consensus of opinion of hime.

From this side of the fence (Saints) he looks to be going alright and has the team running in the right direction.

GrandOrient

perverse

Referee
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere guys.

After all the concern over Brian last year, when players were going off left right and centre, and Brians name was mud all over Newcastle, what is the current consensus of opinion of hime.

From this side of the fence (Saints) he looks to be going alright and has the team running in the right direction.

GrandOrient
mate, you've been reading far too many papers. there were a lot of everyday fans that were up in arms about brian smiths decisions last year, however anyone that actually knew what they were talking about could see the need for change and were embracing smith. i'm not sure what those casual fans are saying now.. but some of them would have to be eating humble pie i would think.

most of us around here are stoked with what smith has come in and done with the club. it's been a big turnaround in a very short period of time. quite impressive. i'm extremely happy.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
You can't ask for too much more from the bloke after the first 7 rounds with the side that he's pretty much built.

We've got a young and inexperienced side who still do stupid things at times, but that's youthful exuberance for you. The ability to actually score points is something which has stood out to me in that in the years with Hagan here when Joey was injured, suspended or otherwise unavailable, we'd struggle to score more than 12-16 points on most occasions. I suppose you could mount an argument that that aspect isn't so much to do with the coach, rather the players involved, but I'd say the coach has had to have picked these players in the first place.

Overall, I'm happy with where we are at the moment. I know we can get better, but our real shot at a premiership will only occur when we get a decent centre or two.

Nuffy

Bench
I think the bloke has done a good job whilst coping with extreme external pressure and agenda based criticisms.

Hanscholo

Bench
Your assumption that Smith was disliked in newcastle because of the cleanout is utterly incorrect and i am a little tired of it being spoken about. The supporters never had an issue with him, it was a couple of load mouth dickheads with lots of money and their own self interest that had issues with it.

otori

Juniors
Smith is a great addition to the Knights and he's proved his worth already IMO. While we might still make mistakes and not win every game, I love watching a Knights team that puts in a decent effort instead of two or three players carrying the rest of team.

grandorient

Bench
Thanks Guys,

Coming from outside of the community, I had no idea that Smithy had so much support last year. Just goes to show you can't believe what you read., as if we didn't know this already.

I have been a Brian Smith fan for many years and when the announcment was first made, I was really pleased for you blokes. He is an excellent coach and knows what football is all about.

GrandOrient

roopy

Referee
The Sydney press attacked him at every turn.

The Newcastle press was 100% behind him.

Luckily, we read the Newcastle press.

Alex28

Coach
Yep - his name was mud (and still is) all over the Daily Telegraph - not necessarily anywhere else.

Best thing to happen to the club since Mal Reilly.

I think Smithy is tops. A very decent bloke who isn't afraid to make tough decisions. That is life and it occurs in every organisation on earth. anyone who thinks he enjoyed sacking Reyno et al. is way off the mark.

knights_86

Juniors
f**k i hate the daily telegraph.. its so full of sh*te. cant believe some of the stories they fabricate and then run with. smith has done a great job thus far, first time in ages ive seen the knights as a team working for each other 1 through to 17

roopy

Referee
So the Newcastle herald really supported Smith last year?
I thought so.
They gave him a lot of puff pieces - and most importantly he was an easy target when making the hard calls, and they didn't have a pop at him. That must have been hard for newspaper guys to do - they would crucify their own grandmothers for a headline usually.

I thought so.
They gave him a lot of puff pieces - and most importantly he was an easy target when making the hard calls, and they didn't have a pop at him. That must have been hard for newspaper guys to do - they would crucify their own grandmothers for a headline usually.
I Second that thought. Rothfield is such a desperate that he actually had a stab at the Newie Herald for being biased towards the Knight and Smithy. Apparently on Saturday the Herald outsells them by over 2 to 1 in the Hunter region.

aqua_duck

Coach
rothfield had a go at the hearld because they sponsored the knights, big whoop.

Look of the players smith let go, only a handful were signed up by other nrl clubs, of the players smith let go i would've kept only woolnough and snowden, the rest I'm glad to see the back of

Transporter2

Juniors
Im worried about Tony Butterfield, sure i want him on the board but he says He is against what happened her last year, Ahhh Tony Your job is on the Board & leave the coaching to the experts, his job was on the line & he has done remarkably well to have us in Top 8, & have a positive for & against, & to give Roosters a hiding, & to have 2 losses by 6 points, in Smith we trust.

Latest posts