What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith's sledging of Buderus

aqua_duck

Coach
Its a shame that people like Buderus, jack newton, etc have let themselves be manioulated by News Limited's agenda against Brian Smith. Steve Burraston was on the radio earlier this morning and said that everything Smith has done has gone through him with the support of the board. The reynoldsen situation has been blown completely out of proportions.
Reynoldsen was never told to piss off nor was he ever dogged or was he going to be dogged so that he couldn't play the 15 games. He played in rounds 19 and 20 was dropped for round 21 because of poor form, the fact that josh perry was back, and also because we played a genuine 5/8th in the number 6 jumper instead of another backrower. He'll play tonight, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't play rest of the year. I mean a fringe first grader got dropped for 1 game, and ray hadley made it out like we dropped the best player who ever lived.
Burraston explained that smith told kirk that he was free to look around because we had signed some backrowers for next year, and we got some young backrowers coming through the grades hence reyno might be struggling for a spot, it was more smith giving reyno an opportunity to get more playing time elsewhere and a chance to maybe strengthen other positions rather than the way hadley and news limited perceived it, as if we kicked reyno out the door and left him high and dry

eels_fan_01

Bench
perverse said:
ROFL what a beat up by the telegraph... i was quite happy with the smith interview when i listened to it. actually to be honest i love what smith has to say to the press in general.

danny & anonymous company - grow up, you're professional footballers (allegedly).

Yeah i agree, if Smith doesnt think Buderous fits into hes "masterplan" to win a premiership then he can p!ss Buderous off and they will run dead last.

Y2Eel

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
hardly humiliating, he tried to give reasons why danny made those comments earlier in the week, as usual more telegraph smith bashing

Why is he trying to give reasons just shut up and coach get the players out there and play footy.. all this talking to the press is idiotic as a head coach.. learn from Wayne...

Danish

Referee
I actually enjoyed reading this interview on the way to work today...

Buderus has been acting like a spoilt brat this season. His performances for the knights have been average, and letting the QLD side get under his skin by pointing out Cameron Smith's superiority to him during the SOO series was laughable.

I'm quite certain the knights will pull him (buderus) into line quicksmart.

perverse

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:
Yeah i agree, if Smith doesnt think Buderous fits into hes "masterplan" to win a premiership then he can p!ss Buderous off and they will run dead last.
what on earth has smith said that would make you even allude that buderus isn't part of smiths plans for the future? smith has had nothing but praise for him for most of the year.

it would be a bit rich for smith to totally ignore what has been said in the press. if nothing else the newcastle fans deserve to know his thoughts on the matter (which he provided yesterday).

Did the Newcastle team expect instant results from Brian Smith? Surely not with the team he has handed. Ofcourse changes needed to be made.

aqua_duck

Coach
Y2Eel said:
Why is he trying to give reasons just shut up and coach get the players out there and play footy.. all this talking to the press is idiotic as a head coach.. learn from Wayne...
so all head coaches are idiotic excpet bennett? Guess what your superoach Hagan doesnt mind talking to the media. Smith probably has as little to do with the media as any coach apart from bennett.

aqua_duck

Coach
Aotearoa_NewZealand said:
Did the Newcastle team expect instant results from Brian Smith? Surely not with the team he has handed. Ofcourse changes needed to be made.
I thought we'd make the finals this year and to be fair we probably would have been in the hunt if it wasn't for all the injuries. I mean we've had to use 37 players this year, and at times have had 2-3 million bucks worth of talent on the sidelines

Y2Eel

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
so all head coaches are idiotic excpet bennett? Guess what your superoach Hagan doesnt mind talking to the media. Smith probably has as little to do with the media as any coach apart from bennett.

No he is idiotic for coming out and adding more coal to the fire after all this crap with Danny.. Leave it let the players calm down say nothing...

Coached can talk to the media but its not the smartest of idiea's to do it right now especially for smith who is under fire...

aqua_duck

Coach
Well one can argue that smith has a right of reply. It always makes someone look worse when all they can offer is "no comment", particularly in times of crisis. I don't know if you understand but the club (ie, the administration, the coach, etc) need to support of the people and the fans, and to me smith letting the fans know his position and the position of the board is not a bad thing. I'll admit he probably shouldn't have said the things about buderus but overall I know myself that i felt abit more reassured knowing for example that smith has the backing of the board, and that smith understands we the players might be upset

Y2Eel

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
Well one can argue that smith has a right of reply. It always makes someone look worse when all they can offer is "no comment", particularly in times of crisis. I don't know if you understand but the club (ie, the administration, the coach, etc) need to support of the people and the fans, and to me smith letting the fans know his position and the position of the board is not a bad thing. I'll admit he probably shouldn't have said the things about buderus but overall I know myself that i felt abit more reassured knowing for example that smith has the backing of the board, and that smith understands we the players might be upset

Smith has a hard job he's said that a few times now i just wish he left all the b/s to closed dooors and then just sent out a media release...

Its was always going to be hard post Johns...

aqua_duck

Coach
Y2Eel said:
Smith has a hard job he's said that a few times now i just wish he left all the b/s to closed dooors and then just sent out a media release...

Its was always going to be hard post Johns...
yeah but he much can you say on a media release? What can he say? There's nothing wrong, everything is fine here, etc, etc.

Y2Eel

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
yeah but he much can you say on a media release? What can he say? There's nothing wrong, everything is fine here, etc, etc.

Waited till the pressure was off a tad then come out and said the board supports me or have the board say it... this is what they wanted me to do.. no i think danny is angry becuase blah blah...

eels_fan_01

Bench
I find it ridiculous that he said Buderous has lost touch with the team when hes been a coach there one year and Buderous is the heart of the Knights. Not that i dont like Brian Smith or anything.

Ice777

Bench
Here we go again, the well worn and tired line of "media beat up" whenever a story hits the headlines. Can i ask why it's a media beat up? To me it's a legitimate Q & A with the coach of a side getting asked questions that i think the majority of the public want to know. It's a big story and one that should be told and who better to give the answers than the bloke who's smack bang in the guts of the controversy?

I'm well aware that a lot of the times the press put their own spin on things with the old "a source close to the club" or "a player that didn't want to be named" lines to make a story more appealing, but i can't see how a one on one interview like this can be described as a media beat up in any way.

goboggo

Juniors
The only thing that's a beat up is the headline.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fools around who only read the headline, or who are affected by the headline more than the words inside these things: " "

I love listening to Brian Smith. Sometimes he can come across as a bit of a smarmy smartarse, but he's always interesting.

And he's bang on the money. The problem is that the players want results now. And who can blame them - to them its about winning next week, and the week after. Especially if they are in the veteran category like Buderus. Buderus should think beyond himself and to the juniors coming through, but he can't. That's understandable, but unfortunate.

Ice777

Bench
I can see how some would look at the headline as a beat up, but i also think that's subjective depending on who you ask. IMO i think Smith did humiliate and even insult Buderus with some of the backhanded slaps he gave Buderus.

I'm no fan of Buderus whatsoever and with him vying for Australian hooker with Cameron Smith and his sooky behavior he's shown at times in regard to that, it just makes me even less of a fan. But putting that aside in my opinion Brian Smith has gone too far with what he said about his captain.

It's all well and good to say Buderus came out and mouthed off first but what did he say? From what i've read all he did say was there's unrest with the players caused by the coach's actions. It wasn't personal comments, he just gave a reason for the unrest and put an end to all the speculation that was going on.

Apey

Staff member
I think people are misinterpreting how he has spoken about Buderus though. People are reading it as "haha he didnt win SOO" (Not exactly, but you know what I mean) rather than Smith saying this is why he is feeling the way he is, that things haven't gone his way this year. Smith isn't blaming him for that at all.

Dutchy

Immortal
Steve Roach on the radio reckons Buderus wants a release from Newcastle and the club will not grant him one.