What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring Back Match-Of-The-Round

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What would you think if the NRL scheduled a game at ANZ every Sunday of the season???

With this shift towards centralised stadiums, it'd be good to get people into a routine of "this is just what the family does on Sunday". You'd begin to bring more neutrals to games...

If it's successful they could even build it into an event, like a Sunday market outside the stadium. 20 or 30 thousand people hanging around looking for something to do, I think a market would go well...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Of course it is..

but its the future of the game, it's a decent precinct and designed for family-market style events (Easter show seems pretty successful)...

bottle

Coach
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I don't disagree with your sentiment necessarily, but I really hope ANZ isn't 'the future of the game'. God I hope we have a better vision than that.
No dramas with Homebush per se (needs a shitload done to improve it though), but hate ANZ for our game. Can't get past the hate for the place.

fourplay

Juniors
The idea of a centralised stadium is great if the central stadium is one which the fans love.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm talking more about getting people to like the precinct.

The stadium is reasonably mailable if there is a will to change the shape, but Homebush as a location is the future of the game whether you like it or no.

But I think we can all agree that, atmosphere wise, ANZ is pretty once you break 40000. This regular timing of games, and making an event of th whole experience, is the best way to bring neutrals in to really fill the place up.

Last edited:
You will never achieve it with ANZ. Besides the fact the ground is no good unless it is full, there is still nothing to do around it. If you are going to have something outside the ground, the Football Stadium can achieve that.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You will never achieve it with ANZ. Besides the fact the ground is no good unless it is full, there is still nothing to do around it. If you are going to have something outside the ground, the Football Stadium can achieve that.

That's the entire point of bringing in markets and shit...

There is nothing to do at the Olympic Park because they wanted to keep the site easy to redesign; it'd be easier to move a marquee than it is to move a town, don't you think.

Games at ANZ regularly get 20 000 and they'll be pushing 30 and 40 soon enough. If they can convince people to come earlier and spend the day, a captive audience of 30000 people will be pretty appealing to anyone looking to sell shit; whether it's food places, clothing stalls or a beer grade with a pub band playing that seems like the kind of event families would want to go to...

The Eagle

Juniors
Stop cyber bullying people.

It's a cowardly low dog act, Trying to make yourself look cool.

images

OP goes for a certain failure of a team who hasn't won a comp in what,43 years? Or does the doucheyness just make me think he's one of them

fourplay

Juniors
But I think we can all agree that, atmosphere wise, ANZ is pretty once you break 40000. This regular timing of games, and making an event of th whole experience, is the best way to bring neutrals in to really fill the place up.

Yeah it's a nice atmosphere but your view of the game is still poor because you're so far away. I sat behind the posts for an origin match a couple times. Great atmosphere but you have no idea what's going on unless the play is in the 20m zone infront of you.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I understand the OP, it might be a good idea. We know 9 programs the best match up for friday night, but the next best involving a western sydney side should be looked at.

I also think he means why do we need the Royal Agricultural society to make it a carnival atmosphere.

For all the variety of rounds we get, heritage round with ,marquees of old players giving signatures and old games played on a big screen outside the stadium, ladies round can have stalls of womens consumables, such as make up, lotions, shoes, etc. Indigenous round can have cultural events.

A price of of $20 for g.a. I think is a price point for 50k, which is a $1mil every game,

The NRL takes a lead here, drums up some sponsors, an NRL on sunday is an all day event for families.

bottle

Coach
The idea itself has merit.
Unfortunately the venue proposed doesn't.
The area itself can be remediated and improved, in terms of transport into and around the precinct, food and beverage amenities, other entertainment. That just leaves the shithole viewing experience that is ANZ. Bomb it and start again with a proper max capacity rectangular stadium. Play the cricket and fumbly ball at Skoda or whatever it is now.

Latest posts