What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring back Rabs

Think some people are rubbishing the OP simply because it's Moffo.

FTR, I agree to the extent that Voss has much better knowledge, knows the players and doesn't babble inanely, but IMO doesn't have a powerful and authoritative enough voice to be a #1 caller.

Moffo

Referee
Think some people are rubbishing the OP simply because it's Moffo.

FTR, I agree to the extent that Voss has much better knowledge, knows the players and doesn't babble inanely, but IMO doesn't have a powerful and authoritative enough voice to be a #1 caller.

Very true

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Yeah, why bring in that useless rabs to call the rlwc when he has shat on it on radio and any other forum he can. Who wants someone that ignorant & passionless as him calling international footy. He would embarrass the sport.

Rod

Bench
Used to love Rabs a few years ago, he was the voice of the game and he did have a good voice.

Fully agree with the person who said he's become a caricature of himself though. All the forced arguing with Gus and the talking of crap and thinking it's funny and crapping on about shows like The Block, he's become just another Channel 9 stooge. Shame really as like I said he used to be the iconic voice of the game.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Sorry guys

As much as Rabs say douche things and Vossy is a great guy, I just don't think I get as excited watching a game when voss is calling. He is too conversational, has a limited ability to hit the higher octaves and show genuine excitement when something big happens and overall, I think is more suited to being a support commentator

Anyway, just my thoughts. He needs a greater vocal range

He is also a good horse rider

Look, most of you guys have missed my point

Rabs injects more excitement in to a call than voss. Tell me I'm wrong

Rabs has a better voice for calling games than voss. Again, tell me I'm wrong

I'm not denying that Rabs can be a dick and Vossy knows his footy...they aren't the points I am making here

Sorry guys but you're wrong

Do you even know what a troll is?

Very true
wyfp.jpg

undertaker

Coach
Used to love Rabs a few years ago, he was the voice of the game and he did have a good voice.

Fully agree with the person who said he's become a caricature of himself though. All the forced arguing with Gus and the talking of crap and thinking it's funny and crapping on about shows like The Block, he's become just another Channel 9 stooge. Shame really as like I said he used to be the iconic voice of the game.

Listen to any call of Rabs during his first few years at Ch9 back in the '90s vs his calls today. They're a world apart from each other. Rabs sounded much more passionate about league back then, and was pretty much on-the-ball, solely focusing on his match call. Such a shame that he rubbished the World Cup on Triple M, making a mockery of the other competing nations etc. He hasn't called a game outside of Australia/NZ since the '95 World Cup final at Wembley (he passed up the opportunity in the 2000WC and Vossy went over instead). His commentary during that '95 World Cup was very good (especially that thrilling Aus/NZ semi, which, along with the 2006 Tri-Nations final, is one of the best test matches I've ever seen).

Now, in his commentary, he is usually a play or two behind, as well as these contrived arguments with Gus Gould, easily getting sidetracked with all this useless information which has nothing to do with the game, the constant mixing up of players and mispronouncing surnames (and it's not just the Pacific Islander players. Gagai as GAY-guy and Widdop as Wid-DOP? I mean, come on!:lol:). I've noticed all the factors mentioned above since the start of the last tv rights deal when the 2 Friday night games were introduced (2007).

It's been a sharp decline since then and it's clear as the light of day that like Hadley, Rabby boy only cares and remembers the matches he called and doesn't give a stuff about anything he didn't call. But yeah, pairing him with Gus was one of the worst decisions Gyngell has made. Ch9's just desperate and trying to reinvent the wheel by introducing the Bill Lawry/Tony Greig type of banter from back in the '80s...been there, done that. I noticed Sterlo didn't commentate as many games this year - maybe to focus more on his Fox Sports show.

Last edited: