What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring Back The Quick Restart!!!!!!!

Sacrolishes

Juniors
On so many occasions this year I've seen teams trying to get a good restart for a 20 meter restart or a kick to touch! And the ref calls them back to make it a 'fair play'!!!

I really miss it... I still remember Matty Rogers when he played for Cronulla run 90meters from a quick restart. It was awesome!!

Also.. Bring back the Biff!! Loved that in the Knights vs Eels game recently!! And trust me so did the 2,000 strong crowd!! :p! I was one of them!! haha

Miss the old days!!!!

chrisc101

Juniors
On so many occasions this year I've seen teams trying to get a good restart for a 20 meter restart or a kick to touch! And the ref calls them back to make it a 'fair play'!!!

I really miss it... I still remember Matty Rogers when he played for Cronulla run 90meters from a quick restart. It was awesome!!

Also.. Bring back the Biff!! Loved that in the Knights vs Eels game recently!! And trust me so did the 2,000 strong crowd!! :p! I was one of them!! haha

Miss the old days!!!!

Benji and Robbie do it a fair bit off penalties. Usually mixed results but keeps teams thinking.

Quidgybo

Bench
They don't call it back to make it a "fair play". They will call it back if they haven't yet blown their whistle to allow play to restart. They can not blow their whistle to allow the restart until both referees are in position - one on the 30 m line and one on the 20 m line at the spot of the tap. And they can not blow their whistle to allow the restart if not all the attacking team are onside behind the 20 m line. Once those two conditions are met, they will blow their whistle to allow the restart and then the attacking team can take the tap as quick as they like. There is nothing discretionary about it on the part of the ref, it is a very transparent sequence of events that must occur which has nothing to do with the state of the defense.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
Well we did have 11m in goals at some grounds until the late 90s or early noughties so I suppose it was at least technically possible.

Leigh.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
the rule still exists, just like we still have scrums... its just the ref's interpretation that's changed.

fourplay

Juniors
The ESL has the quick restarts and it makes the game flow better, faster and more enjoyable. It also does not reward a team for kicking it dead bygiving them 30 seconds to get their defensive line ready.

I think a penalty is advantage enough without allowing quick taps from them, especially when so many penalties are 50/50 calls at best. But from a 20m restarts is probably fair enough.

Mr Spock!

Referee
What about the quick tap from penalties. What happened to that? Refs and captains want to have a discussion after every penalty to slow play down.

Shanky

Juniors
I think they should be able to take the restart as soon as they are ready on marks in goal, provided the person who catches the ball is the one that takes the tap. It's way too big an advantage if you expect the team with the ball to wholeheartedly attack a kick, then have to turn around 30m while the marking team gets to throw the ball to the 20m. If they have to run it out then there is no reason the defence shouldn't be in a position to set some sort of line while the other guys still run back.

In a situation where the ball is kicked dead though, I think it should stay as is: attacking team onside and the refs on the 20m and 30m lines.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I think they should be able to take the restart as soon as they are ready on marks in goal, provided the person who catches the ball is the one that takes the tap. It's way too big an advantage if you expect the team with the ball to wholeheartedly attack a kick, then have to turn around 30m while the marking team gets to throw the ball to the 20m. If they have to run it out then there is no reason the defence shouldn't be in a position to set some sort of line while the other guys still run back.
Agree 100%. I can't see a problem with a quick restart as long as the ball gets to the 20 metre line legally. You can't throw the ball forward any other time, so why allow it here??

In a situation where the ball is kicked dead though, I think it should stay as is: attacking team onside and the refs on the 20m and 30m lines.
This seems reasonable. In fact I think you could extend the rule about the player who fields the kick having to tap it to kicks that go dead too. They can take it quick so long as the player who retrieves the ball runs to the 20m and taps it. But if they pass it to someone else it's pulled up till the defence is ready.

DeeJ

Bench
Didn't Watmough take a quick tap from 10m out in 2008 and score a try?

Come to think of it Jonathon Thurston did a really sneaky one recently too, but he was even closer.

perverse

Referee
Come to think of it Jonathon Thurston did a really sneaky one recently too, but he was even closer.
i think i remembering him doing one last year, he was practically on the try line, tapped it and fell over the line... and got up with a big sh*t eating grin on his face. the fact that i remember it so vividly (and hatefully) makes me think it was against the knights, too.

not 100% on it, though.

Chook Norris

First Grade
email the Sunday Roast, they'll start a campaign.. and 24 months later, like the corner post, it will be changed

Its inconsistant , there has been many times where the ref will hold it up and wait till the defence is set or near enough too , but there is occasions where they allow it.

Its got to be one way or the other , it cant be left up to the ref to decide.

Im in favour for having it . If the attacking team is ready to go then it should be upto the defending team to be quick enough to defend it..

Best example i can think of is in the late 80s in SOO..
Qld penalty...Alfie takes the quick tap......Nsw defensive line is backpedaling to get onside & he runs aboout 20mtrs sideways & throws a long pass to Mcindoe on the wing..who runs about 40 mtrs to score.....
Great play would love to see it again.

Serc

First Grade
i think i remembering him doing one last year, he was practically on the try line, tapped it and fell over the line... and got up with a big sh*t eating grin on his face. the fact that i remember it so vividly (and hatefully) makes me think it was against the knights, too.

not 100% on it, though.

You got it!

The bigger grins were had when we completely dominated them in the second half :)