What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring on the 9's Tourney already..!~

Bronco18

Juniors
I'm in Auckland for the tournament, and man it's exciting! Atmosphere is electric (especially when the Warriors play), and there are lots of young fans soaking it up in union territory.
How about some of the Warriors tries? I couldn't believe what Tomkins and Johnson were doing. If the NRL team could get another star forward and their heads screwed on right, League is a sleeping giant in NZ.

For us though, I saw some real positives and negatives.

Seeing Barba add a bit of speed in the first game (before Griffin cotton-wooled him in the 2nd) was exciting, Thaiday shows what he'll add this year with a bit more space when he plays wider from the ruck and Macca was in top form. He looked enthused, his service was solid and those few runs he made up the middle set up tries later on. I hope he finds some consistency because I think he's the difference between our best and our worst.

It was disappointing though to see Hunt fade in and out of the contest again. We looked rudderless in attack at times (particularly in that 2nd game) which reflected the worst moments of 2013 for mine. It seems Hunt has trouble leading the team around (it seemed Prince did the majority of the organising when the two paired up last year). I hope he finds his voice and takes a bigger role come round 1.

In saying that though, it's only 9s: we chopped and changed players and combinations around him all the time when they were on the field so it's hard to judge how applicable any of this will be come footy season. Thoughts?

Anyways, how good is it to have some footy?!?!?!? Looking forward to us bouncing back against the Eels (probably not) and seeing the Warriors smash it tomorrow again,

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Thanks heaps for the update Bronco18. I personally have not seen any of the nines, so these details (especially regarding the Broncos) are much appreciated.

Good to hear that Barba has settled in well. Likewise Maccas form, who I have not rated particularly high in the past. It is a bit of a worry how much we will be relying on Hunt this year. Sincerely hope he can step it up, otherwise we will be in big big trouble I think.

hellteam

First Grade
I thought barba looked very tentative yesterday, didn't seem to be 100 percent fit at all. He mainly stood out on the wing both matches, would love to see him come in and get involved with the playmaking today.

Other positives, Copley looked good, quite quick and he seems to have put on a lot of size in the off season .

Hunt's kicking game is really terrible, especially short kicking. We could be in for a long year in that regard, I simply don't think he's up for leading a team around the park. Still think we should have kept prince for one more season.

Newtowneel

Juniors
looking forward to the EELS V BRONCOS. My wife is a broncos fan. One of us will be happy. Just wanted to comment on Barba. He seems to be taking it easy on the wing. Doesn't look too fit.

man2iel_

Juniors
Keeping in mind B###a is coming back from a pretty serious ankle injury.

This tournament is about getting him a feel for the game again. Nothing more. I didn't expect a 'Player of the Tournament' type performance as some predicted and if anything, I am genuinely upbeat from what I've seen from him. Expect to see a quicker, slicker B###a come the start of the NRL season. I suspect we will see him at his best after 4-6 rounds and he continue to gradually build the longer the season goes providing he remains injury free.

hellteam

First Grade
He did look a lot better in the game this morning than he did yesterday. Loved that try he set up when he skipped outside their defender off a second man play... hopefully will see that a lot this year.

Bronco18

Juniors
RE Barba, with the exception of a few moments in the first game and the Eels one today he seemed to play on the centre/wing. Not sure why, probably to keep him safe while giving him some footy. Shame he ended up limping off one game out from the final. He might've lost a bit of speed too - Sandow chased him down pretty easily. I know Sandow isn't a slouch, but Barba had a decent head start.

Griffin seemed to play the series like an all out trial for our core team hence our large forward contingent. We'd generally hit it up around the middle for the first few tackles and build like it were an NRL match. Ironically, it seemed this style served us well in the 9s format; mostly as we made way fewer errors than the other teams and it played to our strengths (fringe forwards with a bit of space and Parker's offloads). Hopefully teams buy into how well the Broncs and the Warriors went with a large first grade representation and not how the reigning champions went without many. This weekend could be even bigger - imagine if the Storm brought Slater, and the Raiders brought Milford?

Also, another area of concern is a lack of drop kicking options. The number of f%^king conversions we missed RIGHT NEXT TO THE POSTS AND WITH NO PRESSURE is worrying. I mean, Gillette ended up being our first choice kicker. That's ahead of Hunt, McCullough (who didn't go too bad but went off the field often), Barba and the young half we brought. Niko-whatsit. We could do worse than put him at 5/8th too, though he's probably too young. EDIT: I mean, what with Kahu out for a few weeks. Strasser would probably know the system better.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Also, who did everyone else think were our best in the tournament?

I think Macca was as good as any other dummy half this tournament. Gillette had a few special moments and Thaiday had plenty of strong runs. Parker was a champion as always.

Good to see everyone share the love for Copley too. I'd love his size on the wing, we've been lacking an areal weapon.

Snappy

Coach
I only saw three of the Broncos games, and whilst the 9's is certainly no form guide for the NRL, it was good to see individual performances.

Copley looked great, seemed faster and stronger and was playing as centre.

Thaiday looked much better running an edge with some space. Was carrying defenders at times.

We've found our number 6 for round one in Kodi Nikorima. Kid looks to have the goods and looks a natural ball player.

Macca did look sharp.

Wasnt really impressed by Kennedy, but then again 9's isnt a prop forwards game.

Barba looked flat.

Hoffman was great, even if Winters stood him up in the GF

Stagg busted his knee again and is out for 6 weeks

Lowie was solid and will make a good bench player.

Was also impressed with Mills, which was unexpected. Looked strong and solid.

man2iel_

Juniors
Also, who did everyone else think were our best in the tournament?

I think Macca was as good as any other dummy half this tournament. Gillette had a few special moments and Thaiday had plenty of strong runs. Parker was a champion as always.

Good to see everyone share the love for Copley too. I'd love his size on the wing, we've been lacking an areal weapon.

Andrew McCullough was the clear stand out followed by young Kodi Nikorima who didn't seemed fazed at all by running around with the 'big boys'.

Re: Ben Hunt

I liked what I saw at the back end of the year and if Griffin gives him 100% backing this season, I think he can flourish in this team where he needs to just distribute, kick well and run on occasion. K.I.S.S is the motto for Ben Hunt working behind what should be one of the best forward packs in the NRL in 2014.

Last edited:

1qaz

Juniors
Did anyone else enjoy David Stagg's ball playing on the weekend?
Or was it just Big Pete :lol:

AceAv

Juniors
Well bring on the NRL Season now. That was a great sneak peak on what to expect from our boys.

I never thought I'd say it, but Copley has really started to come good! I was extremley impressed with Nikorima too.

Overall they played with passion and I got a good sense they were out to make the coach & fans proud and the hard work payed off.

Agree with most here though that our long kicking game is going to be our achilles heel this year..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Macca was great as was Kodi. given kahu's injury he's who i'd start at 6. Barba was pretty disappointing, not sure if he's still getting over an injury, but hes the kind of plaeyr i thought would excel at the 9's.

Parker and Thaiday were both strong, i thought kennedy had a real go at it and copely showed some of the potential he had when playing 20's

despite the injuries, i think it was an overall success (not just getting to the final) and i think some of the boys would really get some confidence going into the season

Big Pete

Referee
Snore.

I'm disappointed Elia, of all the material, you went with an exaggeration of an old rationalisation I made a year ago.

Why can't we be friends?

Latest posts