1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Brisbane Jets

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by ash the bash, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

I’m not sure coming out and saying you are going to rape and pillage one of the nrls most important clubs is a good strategy to getting in!

MugaB likes this.
  2. MugaB

MugaB Bench

Livermore at it again, its nice to say that you're head hunting these two players but im sure the storm wouldn't be too fond of hearing that, and what's Junior Paulo got to do with Josh Papali, is this guy just spit balling names?
    I hope that this joint bid has legs, not just lip service to foxsports every few weeks, i see no difference between this bid and that of the dolphins, both are over 40mins away from suncorp, and if the jets were to become the 17th club surely they would be green as the main color, something that represents ipswich, not another blue team please

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. DIEHARDTITAN

DIEHARDTITAN Juniors

"Frontrunner" :confused:

flippikat and MugaB like this.
  4. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Cool!!!

The Bombers branding was mostly good:
    - Great colours (No one uses Orange, even the Tigers dont use Orange)
    - Cool logo (Kingsford-Smith was a nice touch)
    - Good vibe (if they commit to the 1940-Americana thing, they could produce some great stuff)

The only problem was the STUPID F*CKING NAME!!!

Good work by both of these groups to set aside egos to give themselves the best chance of getting picked. The Ipswich connection should prevent the club feeling too plastic, while the different colours/logo/location name should give Ipswich Jets-haters enough distance to feel ok about supporting this team.

Great work all around

Im coming around on this Idea. I want Perth and Adelaide to get teams above Bris3, but Sydney > Perth/Adelaide relocations are far more likely than Sydney > Brisbane.

Noself-respecting Sydney team would relocate to brisbane and no self-respecting Brisbane fan would support them.

This double SEQLD entrance and a hard push for Sydney > Perth/ Adelaide relocations would solve the team spread perfectly.

5. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Split the difference. Orange and Green?

6. flippikat

flippikat Bench

Precisely.

Having 3 teams in greater Brisbane is enough. I can't see the NRL wanting to add more after that, and it solves the footprint for Queensland until the Sunshine Coast or Central Qld reach the critical mass needed for an NRL team - which is a long way away (if ever).

That can even be mitigated by having the Cowboys take a game each year to Rockhampton & the Dolphins take a game each year to the Sunshine Coast.. so those areas have *some* exposure to top flight footy, and a connection to their nearest team.

As for relocations, you're right - Queensland will never accept a Sydney club moving there, but if it was moved to AFL-land (or even NZ) it could work. Keep in mind AFL moved the Swans & Lions to the eastern states without a strong AFL history & rivalry with Victoria, and not SA or WA.

The stumbling block to that is there seems to be no real desire to tackle Sydney's oversaturation in a way that'll preserve these brands (relocation or a strong, statewide state cup ala Qld Cup).

If Brisbane has 3 NRL teams, Sydney (twice the population) should have about 6 right?

There's 8 and a half NRL Sydney clubs now (counting Dragons as half) - so a relocation to Perth, a relocation to Adelaide gets it to 6 and a half - and that's without even considering moving the Dragons to Wollongong fulltime, nor does it consider moving a Sydney club to Gosford.

Food for thought.

[Edit] to put it into perspective, adding 2 Brisbane teams (18 team competition) and relocating a Sydney team to Perth and another to Adelaide gives the following breakdown:

18 teams
    6.5 Sydney teams
    3 Brisbane teams
    5.5 other teams in rugby league-heartland (Auckland, Canberra, Townsville, Newcastle, Gold Coast, Woolongong counting as half)
    3 teams in AFL-land (Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide)

If THAT can be the look of the competition by the end of this decade, that's progress.

7. Rugged Rigid Robust Roy

Rugged Rigid Robust Roy Juniors

Evidently the Jets are going to be captained by Cam Munster and Vice Captained by Harry Grant when they come in.

8. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Bench

You're like a broken record.

How is getting two Queenslanders to play for a new Queensland club a bad strategy?

The Storm have been raping and pillaging the QRL and RL in general since 1998. Victoria has a history of raping and pillaging the rest of Australia. They have the Australian Open despite producing the shittiest tennis players in Australia, stole the F1 from Adelaide and turned it into a shit event and built the Storm from the remains of 3 clubs, including one from Perth. For years the tax payers were forced to bundle out the ailing car manufacturing industry in Victoria, while industries in Queensland were left to fend for themselves. They even have QANTAS based in Melbourne, despite the name standing for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service.

The Storm have had plenty of success at the expense of everyone else. If a few of the Queenslanders they poached decide to go back to Brisbane then stiff shit for the Storm. It'll serve them right for never trying to develop home grown talent.

flippikat likes this.
  9. flippikat

flippikat Bench

That accusation (or a spin on it) is often landed at many dominant teams..and to be fair, recruitment plays a part - the late 80s/early 90s Raiders were built on recruitment of the best Qld & NZ talent available, much like the Storm 20ish years later.. but at least the Raiders had some locally-sourced talent in the mix. The Storm don't seem to have done much for pathways for Victorian talent.. and that's worrying.

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

the nrl doesn’t care where Storm get their players from, they do care that they are successful. Vlandys has said one of the key deciding factors will be not weakening existing clubs, publicly saying your going to take the storms two key players is not the message the nrl want to hear!

11. Get Rid of The Donkeys

I have grave concerns for the Storm once their fairytale run is over. It's great they're averaging 16k to MRS and carved out a niche as a 2nd club for Victorians to support behind their AwFuL club, but how many will stick around when they have a dry spell like the Titans?

If they were able to grow their player base during their successful years like AwFuL did in Brisbane and Sydney, then there would be a young supporter base to draw upon when club goes through a lean period and not be in such a precarious position when the flow of talent from heartland areas starts to dry up. At it is they're heavily reliant on the heartland areas for talent just so that they can carve out a niche following in an overly saturated sports market, which is a recipe for disaster and stagnates growth in other cities like Adelaide and Perth.

Teams in Adelaide, Perth and NZ2 would have a larger following after 20 years.

12. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Munster is on the record saying he would consider playing for Brisbane 2, as he's a Queenslander and Brisbane is closer to his family.

Any club that enters the league is going to be competing with the other 16 clubs for players, sponsors, prime time television games and fans.

Participation levels in the heartland areas cannot keep the game afloat forever. They've declined, and with concussions being a hot issue and the game becoming more suited to large, fast and powerful athletes, they'll probably continue to drop. It's imperative we get more people in non-traditional areas to play the game so that there's enough elite athletes to accommodate expansion. If the quality of the product drops then casual fans will switch off.

13. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

maybe, maybe not. Good thing is we know when they are successful they have a bigger fanbase than most clubs who’ve been around for a heck of a lot longer. The Iikes of roosters, Souths, manly, Cronulla, cowboys etc have had success and hardly, or not at all, grown. At least melbourne is showing it’s real potential by being in top 5 for crowds and memberships. Sure it will drop if they have a poor run off the field but hopefully not too much. Not having their best players tha5 they have brought through signed up by the new club will help the nrl remain strong in Victoria, something I’m sure the commission will be cognisant of.

14. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Cowboys haven't had success like Storm. We've played in 3 GFs since 2005 and won 1. The stadium we played at until last year didn't even have built-in shithouses. Portable dunnies were brought in for game day. It was out in the suburbs too. We don't know how many fans we'll get at our new stadium as we got to play 1 game on it before COVID-19 put a limit on crowds. That 1 game was a sell out. Cowboys have been at the bottom of the ladder for 3 years in a row. Give us 20 years of dominance, like the Storm have had, then we can compare the clubs.

Cronulla had to wait half a century before they won a premiership.

15. Diesel

Diesel Coach

Is the sporting culture in Victoria to support your team no matter how bad they are? Or is that just AFL.

sure the storms crowds would drop but if they’re averaging 16k now, what would it be if they were fringe top 8

16. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

The answer to 2+2 doesn't change.

If people keep bringing up the same stupid ideas the response to them is going to be the same.

17. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

I'm not against it, in fact I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I would warn that orange and green can be hard to pull off.

Green would have to be the dominant colour.

flippikat likes this.
  18. Get Rid of The Donkeys

You're entitled to your opinion. I agree with some of your opinions. Let's just hope whichever way they go, it succeeds. If they go with Adelaide and Perth then I hope it succeeds. When Melbourne fall from the top I hope they still pull good attendances and ratings. No bid is ever going to be perfect and whoever they go with will upset some one.

T-Boon likes this.
  19. toomuchsoup

toomuchsoup Juniors

Yeah, I don’t think those colours go together in a sporting sense. They’d get nicknamed ‘the carrots’

20. MugaB

MugaB Bench

Maybe go a teal type color, like the Miami Dolphins