What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

ash the bash

Juniors
What are our thoughts ?

With the announcement that the Bombers & Western Corridor are combining bids could this be a new favourite ?

Still favour the Dolphins personally but..

- Training base set to be based in Ipswich
- Nick Livermore is a smart operator, the fact that he owned up to Bombers not being a great name shows he listened and willing to adapt.
- Original WC bid initially planned to play games in Suncorp then move to North Ipswich Reserve. Provided they get an upgrade, how will the new Brisbane Jets approach this ? Permanently be based at Suncorp ?

flippikat

Bench
If it's permanently playing out of Suncorp, I think it could be a go.

Certainly my 2nd fave after the Firehawks, but to be honest I think I could live with either.. not Redcliffe though.

I think this is a good development in the bid process, it gives the rather plastic Bombers bid some real roots, and the Ipswich/Western Corridor bid some additional financial & business clout.

Pippen94

First Grade
What are our thoughts ?

With the announcement that the Bombers & Western Corridor are combining bids could this be a new favourite ?

Still favour the Dolphins personally but..

- Training base set to be based in Ipswich
- Nick Livermore is a smart operator, the fact that he owned up to Bombers not being a great name shows he listened and willing to adapt.
- Original WC bid initially planned to play games in Suncorp then move to North Ipswich Reserve. Provided they get an upgrade, how will the new Brisbane Jets approach this ? Permanently be based at Suncorp ?

State government built afl a stadium at Springfield so imagine NRL will expect the same maybe adjacent (?).

Have a feeling NRL suggested bids merge or bombers & jets see Dolphins as frontrunner & are trying to match geographical distinction.
Maybe NRL are pushing line of not cannibalizing Broncs & Titans?!

Smiley

Bench
Ipswich City Council already have plans to redevelop North Ipswich Reserve into a 20-30,000 boutique stadium. They have committed $10 million to the project but will need the State and Federal Govs to provide most of the funding.

https://www.ipswichfirst.com.au/council-progresses-north-ipswich-reserve-stadium-plan/

The majority of their games should be played at Suncorp but they could play 3-4 at a redeveloped North Ipswich Reserve.

flippikat

Bench
Have a feeling NRL suggested bids merge or bombers & jets see Dolphins as frontrunner & are trying to match geographical distinction.
Maybe NRL are pushing line of not cannibalizing Broncs & Titans?!

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that the NRL will actually choose the Jets AND Dolphins later this year?

V'landys has talked about not expanding to rusted-on AFL states, extra money probably won't come without a 9th game per weekend, and both the Jets AND Dolphins steer clear of Broncos and Titans territory.

Would not surprise me at all if Dolphins get the nod for 2023, and Jets for 2025.

THEN South-East Queensland will be sorted, and the NRL can look towards Perth, NZ2 & Adelaide - either by expansion and/or relocation.

Pippen94

First Grade
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that the NRL will actually choose the Jets AND Dolphins later this year?

V'landys has talked about not expanding to rusted-on AFL states, extra money probably won't come without a 9th game per weekend, and both the Jets AND Dolphins steer clear of Broncos and Titans territory.

Would not surprise me at all if Dolphins get the nod for 2023, and Jets for 2025.

THEN South-East Queensland will be sorted, and the NRL can look towards Perth, NZ2 & Adelaide - either by expansion and/or relocation.

That's my hope but I doubt it. Approach these days is to give teams clean air for a number of seasons.
Adding either certaining opens door for third team tho

MugaB

Coach
I feel its like he is grasping at straws, merging bids this late, considering all the news these past few days, might have scared him into looking at what is lacking in the "bombers" bid, which Western Corridor obviously had, and vice versa, to me its a great idea, but also reminds me of the WA bears a few years ago.
I still believe Dolphins will be no.17, but if this works, Western City Jets might be THE suncorp Rival at no.18, that pushes us to a 9th game, and surely locks up SEQ in regards to expansion

axl rose

Bench

Happened way back with the Winfield Cup expansion in 1995. 2 new teams were to be added by the NSWRL/ARL but they ended up accepting all 4 bids. Was not the best move as some were clearly not ready.

MugaB

Coach
Happened way back with the Winfield Cup expansion in 1995. 2 new teams were to be added by the NSWRL/ARL but they ended up accepting all 4 bids. Was not the best move as some were clearly not ready.
They'll never BE ready, adding those 4 bids branched into Townsville and Auckland permanently, getting back to SEQ and WA is way overdue, we needed expansion a decade ago , should be looking in SA and NZ2 by now

Had the ARL just picked only 2 bids might have been only WARRIORS, and CRUSHERS
Since a 2nd brissie team would more likely been a shoe in rather than Wa or Nthqld...
In hindsight NthQld being more heartland ended up being a better choice to keep out of the 4 in the end, but the commission had to start it to find out

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl hasn’t called for bids, let’s get excited when that actually happens, if it actually happens! It will all hinge on the fta deal. If Ch9 reduce their investment you can guarantee there will be no expansion and vlandys will make something up to justify it.

In regards to this development. It certainly makes both bids stronger together.

MugaB

Coach
Nrl hasn’t called for bids, let’s get excited when that actually happens, if it actually happens! It will all hinge on the fta deal. If Ch9 reduce their investment you can guarantee there will be no expansion and vlandys will make something up to justify it.

In regards to this development. It certainly makes both bids stronger together.
Imagine EASTS-DOLPHINS vs WESTS-JETS as all 4 bids merge to 2 bids

flippikat

Bench
I suppose if the firebirds/hawks trademark suit fks easts up, maybe tget should merge with the Dolphins, EASTS Dolphins * orange/red/white/black (very tampa bay)
that would dwarf the bombers/jets bid

Well, that could be a big move to try and trump this combined Jets/Bombers bid.

The Dolphins brand is stronger than Firehawks (which after all, IS a concoction just to avoid colliding with Wests Tigers) - but if they're worried by Brisbane Jets, then Easts and Redcliffe may figure that half of a successful bid is better than all of an unsuccessful bid.

Maybe as a compromise, they could just wear red & black? Red from Redcliffe, Black from Easts...

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Not really, bronx are in the middle.
East Coast Dolphins, (joint bid of Easts Tigers/Sunshine Coast Falcons/Redcliffe Dolphins) Colors of Red, Orange, Grey...
Western City Jets, (Bombers/Ipswich joint bid) Green, Gold, Silver

Along with the Titans, that's SE Queensland sorted.

Then move on to looking at Perth, NZ2 & Adelaide.

flippikat

Bench
The Concept Lab did a mockup of a Bombers jersey set featuring green a while ago.. I think this set of colours could work for Brisbane Jets, even if it's not these designs.. keeping it slightly away from the green white and gold of the Jets Qld Cup side.. and incorporating blue from the Bombers bid.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1610007261832.jpg
    FB_IMG_1610007261832.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Latest posts