What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

smithie

Juniors
I admit I must be in a minority as I actually like the logo! I think it can be marketed really well, Biggles Bear mascot, cheerleaders in flight attendants outfits, what's not to like? :)

81.jpg

Flight_Attendant_Air_hostess_Costums1252679916.jpg

I am disappointed by the bid so far though, I had high hopes when I saw the pwerful people behind the bid but they seem to have totally missed the community engagement side of things so far. Maybe they are gearing up for a big push when the IC decides if there will be expansion, lets hope so.

That's exactly what they are doing. They are just waiting for the commission like everybody else.

Karl

Juniors
"However the Bombers would be based out of a redeveloped Albion Park, currently a Greyhound track"
- Thats down the road from me. It's also the Harness Racing Paceway, and I've heard of a few other plans for the development of that site. There is a legal and planning bunfight going on.

I would prefer to see it stay as sport and recreation use, not flogged for high density housing, and it floods through there anyway - surely people's memories aren't THAT short. I couldn't drive down Cooksley Street this time last year, it was underwater.

Perth Red

Post Whore
- Thats down the road from me. It's also the Harness Racing Paceway, and I've heard of a few other plans for the development of that site. There is a legal and planning bunfight going on.

I would prefer to see it stay as sport and recreation use, not flogged for high density housing, and it floods through there anyway - surely people's memories aren't THAT short. I couldn't drive down Cooksley Street this time last year, it was underwater.

Not really like everyone else, Bears have been recruiting members like there's no tomorrow, Reds have set up an entire jnr structure and commenced membership, PNG has commenced unifying the game, CQ has set up jnr linkages and stadium development,. Bombers have done a bit of nice marketing but that seems to be about it.

Karl

Juniors
Not really like everyone else, Bears have been recruiting members like there's no tomorrow, Reds have set up an entire jnr structure and commenced membership, PNG has commenced unifying the game, CQ has set up jnr linkages and stadium development,. Bombers have done a bit of nice marketing but that seems to be about it.

It looks like they are all sizzle and no sausage.

My view - Brisbane doesn't need another team. We have the Bronco's and the GC has the Titans. We don't have the population or the Tribalism that Sydney has and another undifferentiated Brisbane team is a waste of time and will end up like the Crushers did. Plus it does nothing for the game.

Perth needs a team for sure, but CQ is an odd choice if you ask me. There is not a town with sufficient population between here and the Cowboys in my view and what young NRL professional footballer wants to live in Rockhampton? Maybe if the whole region really get behind it but Rocky, Gladstone, Bundy and Hervey Bay are well separated and you're not going to pull crowds from anywhere else but Rocky on Game Day. Having said that - I'd rather see a team there than another one in Brisbane.

Ipswich would be a good choice. Its a decent sized City these days, has a strong identity and a good League supporter base etc. and people from Brisbane would get on a train to a good game in Ippy I reckon.

Frankly, NSW doesn't need another team and they should be about expanding the game outside the State.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Suncorp is too good a stadium to only have one team based there and the Crushers were actually quite succesful and arguably would have been a strong club by now if allowed to continue. I think if Sydney can sustain 9 teams then Brisbane can certainly sustain 2.

My only concern with the Bombers is there total lack of community engagement, by now they should have 5000 people signed up as bid members imo.

My preference is still Reds (obviously) and a community supported Bombers, if the Bombers can't get their act together then Reds and Bears will be in.

Von

Juniors
I admit I must be in a minority as I actually like the logo! I think it can be marketed really well, Biggles Bear mascot, cheerleaders in flight attendants outfits, what's not to like? :)

81.jpg

Flight_Attendant_Air_hostess_Costums1252679916.jpg

I am disappointed by the bid so far though, I had high hopes when I saw the pwerful people behind the bid but they seem to have totally missed the community engagement side of things so far. Maybe they are gearing up for a big push when the IC decides if there will be expansion, lets hope so.

Love it Red!! Looks good to me!!

Loudstrat

Coach
Is this stupid meathead of an idea still going?

And since when did bombers have stewardesses?

And WTF has a bomber got to do with Brisbane? Or Bert Hinkler? Or Smithy?

Perth Red is right (for once!) by saying there is no community passion about these gimps. Unless you have been living in a lead tomb since 1988 you would have heard of the Broncos!

beave

Coach
Yeah same, stewardesses?? Really??? This bid had so much potential but as soon as they chose the name and apparent attitude, well they've lost me. The Reds are a gimmie, the otherI'm not so sure. The CQ bid might be ready in about 10 years when there's some growth down there in Rocky, but they simply don't have the population to support an NRL team.

Last edited:

VictoryFC

Bench
Its looks like something from kids comic to me. I don't mind another NRL team in Brisbane, but we need to get an NRL teams in Perth and the central coast next.

Better logo and name than half the competition. :? I dont get it, what dont people like about this bid?

My view - Brisbane doesn't need another team. We have the Bronco's and the GC has the Titans. We don't have the population or the Tribalism that Sydney has and another undifferentiated Brisbane team is a waste of time and will end up like the Crushers did. Plus it does nothing for the game.

Bollocks. Wrong on all accounts.

Karl

Juniors
Better logo and name than half the competition. :? I dont get it, what dont people like about this bid?

Bollocks. Wrong on all accounts.

Perth Reds disagreed with me too. Somewhat differently to this constructive little response, but each to their own.

Loudstrat

Coach
Perth Red is a nutter, that's why. Victory FC - cant say why he disagrees, but he likes the logo. I think he'd be the type to stand in a corner and hold his breath until mummy gives in.

I wonder if the Army has waitresses?

Spitty

Juniors
I agree in principle that Qld needs another team. But at the moment none of them seem very viable.

The hardest working is the CQld, but they don't have the population to warrant a fulltime team. I don't think memberships, sponsorship, merchandise and eye's on TV's will be an issue for them, but game day crowds will be.

The Bombers appear to be nothing more than a gimmick. All glits and glamour, with no substance. There appears to be little community support for them and those that do support them, support the idea of a second club in Brisbane but will not actually support the team if they get admitted.

Western Corridor seems to have more substance, but are doing nothing obvious to push there case. They occasionally pop up with a media release and then quickly disappear. If they can get there act together I think they are the obvious pick of the Qld teams, they actually represent an area which is growing rapidly and have long terms plans to not be, 'just another Brisbane side'. But getting there act together seems to be the issue.

Ideally, Western Corridor with a presence in CQld would tick all boxes. But not sure that could ever happen.

The obvious expansion in QLD would have to be the Western Corridor but if the CQ bid could somehow cover the area from McKay all the way down to the Sunshine coast then that would be ideal. Only problem is there is no way the funding would come up for 2 stadiums (say one in rocky and one in the sunshine coast)

adamkungl

Immortal

Even CQ have more fans than them and everyone knows that's a dud bid.

My only concern with the Bombers is there total lack of community engagement, by now they should have 5000 people signed up as bid members imo.

Even if they wanted to....would anyone give a f**k? Doubt it.

Mediocre name ripped from an AFL side... soulless trash set up by some rich blokes who didnt get what they want at the Broncos. It exists to satisfy TV dollars in an area that already has a team when rugby league heartlands with no teams are desperate for one. And it looks like exactly the kind of thing the NRL would go for, desperate to whore out to their TV network masters.

That's what people don't like about this bid.

Die already.

sheepbender

Juniors
I asked the bid team on Facebook this:

Any news on your announcement?? Are you guys planning on engaging and getting the community involved some time soon?? What about starting a membership drive??

Their response:

Hey Adam, like everyone we are waiting for the Independent Commission to get in place and then we'll be pushing our cause and presenting as soon as viable.

We have a membership program and community engagement program in place and will roll it out as soon as we get the nod. It's important to not 'jump the gun' particularly if there's even further delays on the I.C or the expansion process.

Really appreciate your support Adam - we will keep updating information as soon as it's available. Cheers!