What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Open

8Ball

First Grade
Hoping that he can hold it together. I think he might struggle down the back 9, if he's still leading, as the magnitude of his achievement hits him...

Tom Shines

First Grade
I didn't think he stood a chance after the second round. He had the best of the conditions on Thursday and Friday and was pretty solid. Saturday's round was simply outstanding. The wind was incredible - balls were moving 50 metres across at times. 72 on Saturday in the worst of the conditions was probably better than 65 on Friday (which makes the two 70's shot pretty amazing).

To say Norman's putting has saved his ar*e does not give his game enough credit. His shotmaking has been pretty bloody good. His bunker shot on 16 on Friday was brilliant - the ball was maybe 2-3 feet below his feet. The knock-down 5-iron 130 yards from the rough to 6 foot on Saturday was awesome - that made his round after a few bogeys to start.

But he looks like a different guy to the old Greg. He's smiling way more than he ever did when he was playing all the time. He looks like he's having fun and has no expectations.

I am just so amazed and I can not stress enough at how hard it is out there. I play off 4 and I don't reckon I'd break 100 there in those conditions. The 6th hole looks like a nightmare - Geoff Ogilvy hit Driver, hybrid, 6 iron in to it on Thursday and was still short...

The stiff-arm punch he played into I think 7 was genius.

Timbo

Staff member
Noone else is doing much either.

The conditions are nightmarish. But some of the putting on show has been very average.

Timbo

Staff member
Yep, all over for Norman.

Fantastic effort though.

Harrington was just too good on this final round.

Alex28

Coach
I've recorded it and watching it now (heard the result dropping my girlfriend at the airport unfortunately) - Greg's course management today absolutely stinks. Driver all day off the tee isn't working. He has the length to use iron off the tee but he isn't and he isn't hitting ANY fairways. He's giving himself no chance at birdie at all. Frustrating to watch...

Alex28

Coach
Christ that was punishing to watch. Absolutely no course management at all. Lead after 9 but continued to stick with the Driver theory which didn't work at all out the front. Gave himself no real birdie opportunities (bar one hole) when he badly needed plenty. The way he took on 17 just made me sad...but realistically the Open was gone by then...

Same old Greg after all...

griffo346

First Grade
yeh i to taped it and heard the result quite disappointing considering he held a 2 shot lead going into the round...but in retrospect shark was only using this as a warm up to the seniors British open

Jimbo

Immortal
Same old Greg after all...

If you are referring to 'same old Greg' the choker, I would disagree

He knew he needed a couple of birdies, so he had to be aggressive. He had nothing to lose, and played that way. Good on him

'Same old Greg' would have shot 85 on Friday...

Alex28

Coach
He lead with 9 to go. All he had to do was play Harrington in Matchplay, make pars and put some pressure on him. The tournament was gone after 12 - two more bogeys gave Harrington the lead, then another bogey when Harrington made birdie to go three in front. He didn't hit a fairway on 10/12/13 and took driver twice and hybrid once which went through the fairway.

It wasn't necessarily a choke but he lost it rather than Harrington winning it. Harrington had it in the bag after the 13th - he knew Norman was falling away and really only needed to stay ahead of Poulter. If he was tied with the lead he probably wouldn't have taken on 17 like he did.

I reckon there was really only one time Greg choked - and it was monumental. He didn't choke today, but it was there for him to win and he lost it.

Mong

Post Whore
He lead with 9 to go. All he had to do was play Harrington in Matchplay, make pars and put some pressure on him. The tournament was gone after 12 - two more bogeys gave Harrington the lead, then another bogey when Harrington made birdie to go three in front. He didn't hit a fairway on 10/12/13 and took driver twice and hybrid once which went through the fairway.

It wasn't necessarily a choke but he lost it rather than Harrington winning it. Harrington had it in the bag after the 13th - he knew Norman was falling away and really only needed to stay ahead of Poulter. If he was tied with the lead he probably wouldn't have taken on 17 like he did.

I reckon there was really only one time Greg choked - and it was monumental. He didn't choke today, but it was there for him to win and he lost it.

This doesn't happen often but i agree with Jimmy. The calls that it was a choke are unfair and plain wrong i think.

General Knight

Juniors
Considering the situation and his age hes done well to get that result. However, if this same thing happened to him 10, 15, 20 years ago no doubt it would have been another choke moment to add to his cabinet.

MuleEel

Juniors
I was delighted to see Norman lose. I dont really support Americans in any sport and I really dont like mungrel dogs either.

Latest posts