What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bro culture

Just watched Sunday NRL and Lara Pitt said there is going to be an article from Lowie in a Sydney paper about our "bro culture".
Should be interesting
Title looks to be " New Year, same pathetic attitude"

Look forward to the read.

Big Marn

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k/news-story/daf5a011898cdcbfb67b285c9c292014

THE New Zealand Warriors have been told to remove a “bro culture” which is responsible for their “soul-destroying’’ nine-game losing streak.
An embarrassing 34-26 loss to Wests Tigers on Saturday proved little has changed for a one-team, one-country club with a glowing playing roster.
“It’s totally and absolutely unacceptable,” former Warriors part-owner and ex-Kiwi Test coach Graham Lowe said.
New Zealand’s last win was against Melbourne at home on July 12 last year. In the past nine losses, the Warriors have:
[FONT=&quot]●[/FONT] Conceded 294 points through 52 tries;
[FONT=&quot]●[/FONT] Committed a whopping 86 errors;

[FONT=&quot]●[/FONT] Missed 286 tackles, at an average of almost 32 a game; and
[FONT=&quot]●[/FONT] Allowed opposition teams 70 linebreaks.
And the Warriors face the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night. Another loss will heap the pressure on coach Andrew McFadden.
“The Warriors are going backwards,” Lowe told The Daily Telegraph.
“They could, and should, be a juggernaut like Brisbane but at the moment there’s no hope of that happening. It’s a matter of when is someone going to put out an anchor to stop this?

“There’s a hard edge that has been missing for, basically, forever. A ruthless edge. And not just on the field. There’s a ‘bro’ culture that is obvious and unacceptable. That culture is in place of that hard edge.
“The two players they have bought (Issac Luke and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) are fantastic.
“But even without those two players, they’ve got enough players coming through over here that most clubs would drool over.
“The Warriors very rarely face the truth over here, media-wise. For most of the last 10 years I have written columns over here but I decided not to do it this year. Obviously the team that you have to focus on are the Warriors ... it’s just soul-destroying, there’s no change.
“There wasn’t the slightest sign of any improvement from Saturday night compared to the eight losses which ended last year. It’s an absolute cop-out to say they came back into the match. The score totally flattered the Warriors.”
The Warriors’ worst losing streak is 11, stretching across 2012 and 2013, a time when coach Brian McClennan was sacked.
Strangely, the Warriors have never asked the experienced Lowe to help the club.
“Losing those eight games in a row last year, it turned so many people off,” Lowe said.
“It’s a sign of madness to keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
“They have massive selection issues and, historically, really questionable recruitment policies.’’

ozbash

Referee
Despite the obvious common sense and truth in the article, it'll get written off because Lowie wrote it..

Rich102

Staff member
This is one reason I am wary of the "Bring back the Kiwi players" attitude.
I would far rather we recruit the best player in the position, and preferably a hard-nosed professional wanting to make his mark, not retire.

Matua

Bench
Ok, so WTF is a 'bro culture' anyway?

Secondly, the Warriors have tried to copy Aussie way in the past and it's failed.

It's got to be some sort of mixture I guess - Daniel Anderson got it right for a while I suppose.

Blair

Coach

Yes, unfortunately Lowe's very much a 1980s/early-1990s' man. He got sacked as Kiwis' coach remember, after being whitewashed by the 1986 Kangaroos (a champion side, admittedly).

He did good things at Manly and then had a fine couple of years with Wally Lewis' Qld'ers. Most know this.

But then he moved back to NZ and went a bit funny, had a bee in his bonnet about anything kiwi, everything, everyone, had to be kiwi. You can say he was just trying to develop NZ rugby league, which is fine, but he seemed to be doing it at the exclusion of Australia.

NZ rugby league is not the All Blacks, we need Australian coaches, technical staff, players and their national club competition to help us get to where we want to be.

My views on Lowe may be outdated though, I'm referring to his opinions in the early years of the Warriors.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
What case? All Lowe did was repeat the same generalised cliche criticism that has been spouted from various sources for the better part of 4-5 years.

Any point he has is one that's already been made to the point where it's reached broken record proportions.

There's nothing new or insightful in there at all.

JJ

Immortal
expecting Lowe to come up with anything other than cliché, let alone anything new or original is setting the bar way too high for him

Big Marn

Juniors
the one point he did make is that the Warriors get an easy time of it from our media. We jump on scandals eg Hurrellgate but we dont ask the hard questions during media scrums.
Eg, Every time we lose Cappy always says the same shit "we have got to learn from this" Every frigging time. Well Cappy, your not f**king learning from it. 9 losses in a row dude. Someone should ask him, make him squirm, and see how he reacts.
media are soft over here cause they dont want to lose their privileges....its bs.
Radio sport would lose 3 hours of airtime a week they would have to find elsewhere if they didnt have people from the warriors doing their weekly interviews asking bs questions and glossing over the problems.

Last edited:
If he was on the open market, the signing the Warriors should go after is Wayne Bennett. You need a coach who knows how to get results, and has good communication skills which can get the message thru to their players without destroying their self confidence whilst getting themn to want to work on a fix the deficiences in their own game.

Whilst people point to Daniel Anderson as the type who succeeded at the Warriors, Anderson is known to castigate players at times which, depending on the player's experience and background, can do more damage than good. That is why he did not last long at the Warriors as he would have worn the players out with his tirades.

It is in this area where I think McFadden lacks.

Last edited:

Latest posts