What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos 32 v Celtic Crusaders 6

langpark

First Grade
when all things are put into perspective, i don't think it's that bad of a crowd. In 2003, Wales v Australia got 3000 at the same ground (on a weekend i think). 3 and a bit years down the track now and it's a Welsh club v Aussie club on a Thursday nite, so I think it's not too bad of a turnout. And we shouldn't be expecting instant success, that's why they've started in NL2, so the game can gradually grow in that part of Wales. We can't expect interest in the game to boom overnight.

I think it suggests the Crusaders would struggle to get big crowds in Super League but would probably build a support base bigger than Quins and maybe even some of the smaller northern clubs. If they did make Super League and had some success I don't think it's unreasonable thay they could average around 5,000. That's not a great number when you look at the Super League average which is getting up around 9,000 these days but for an expansion club it's not too bad. Bearing in mind they will only get in if the league is expanded to 14 clubs, I think the addition of a team from South Wales can add a lot to the SL and league in general. The benefits will come in many forms too. It will not just be a presence for the SL product in a new part of the country but it will also be a big boost for international footy, effectively giving another country a fully professional club side. I think if they have a strong enough financial base there should be no reason to reject their franchise bid should it come.

bartman

Immortal
I think 2,000 was a record club crowd for them. If they are aiming for Super League in 2009 then you'd hope number increase, and the Cardiff Super League weekend (Millennium Magic) will be designed to further promote league interest in South Wales.

The key for Crusaders is to get promoted up from the NL2 competition, where crowds of less than this are common for a lot of clubs, and start to play with some of the full time pro teams (Castleford, Widnes) in NL1 where crowds of 7,000 can occur. They missed out at the last hurdle last year, even though the RFL changed the promotion rules at the start of the season and essentially gave an extra opportunity for them to get a leg up.

I'd say if Crusaders can't be one of two teams to go up at the end of this season, they're no chance of having the momentum to be viable in SL from 2009. They have to go up to NL1, and then have a cracking start (promotions, coverage, crowds, sponsorship, finances etc) to the first half of 2008 to be ready, otherwise they are better served waiting a year or two? I'm all for it eventually, but sustainable expansion is the key, not rushing situations into potential failure.

Their problem is, under the franchise system, if they miss out in 2009 they won't get another chance until at least 2012 even if they do get to NL1 and win it in 2009 or 2010. That's the downside of franchises - if your not one of them that is.

bender

Juniors
One of the things that hasnt been discussed too much is the result. 32-6. I am sure that the Broncos probably played a young side, but a 26 point loss to the NRL champion side is not a bad result for a development area, that would have to have quite a lot of homegrown locals. If you consider many years ago when they had a full on WCC challenge, 90% of the British sides lost by that margin or more, it is not a bad result at all. The Welsh must be very confident of going through to the NL1 and may cause some real damage in the cup on that form, you would think.

langpark

First Grade
St Helens are in poor form, losing to Quins and now Wakey, should be an interesting clash.

I think 2012 is THE absolute earliest that Crusaders could bid for a Super League spot. It just wouldn't be right if they were getting 1000 to Super League matches, while Castleford is in NL1 averaging 6000. Even if they stay in NL1 forever, that's so much better than what we previously had, which was no semi-pro presence in Wales, just the ameteur comp. If they get rushed in they could become another Paris St Germain/Gateshead.

dibviking

Juniors
They`ve no chance of going up, they are probably 4th or 5th best in nl2.
They were battered 56-6 by Widnes 6 days before playing the Broncos and only managed to beat the London Skolars ( who are on a par with gateshead ) thanks to some late tries.
I predict a beating against Leigh this week.
But it is early doors and things change as the season jogs on.

mtngry

Juniors
I think this was a good result... If I was a welsh fan I would think that was great to play so well agains the Broncos.

RLIF

Juniors
well they have just beat NL1 side Leigh last week so they could be on a roll this season...time will tell.

Latest posts