What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Boot Bennett: Who will take the skeleton?

firechild

First Grade
Do you think that all the success that the Maroons have had over the last decade could mentally hurt the next generation of Queensland players since they now have to carry on the legacy of Smith, Slater etc? When I learnt about St George's greatness in the 50's and 60's later generations of Dragons felt mentally pressured by this considering they now had to continue what Raper, Gasnier and all of those legendary Dragons did and had to live up to that expectation when they weren't capable of performing like they did.

On a NSW side though I have a feeling that what will really drive this Blues team is watching QLD domination in their youth. The same way the Maroons of the 80's aimed for retribution as their upbringings just had NSW domination. The NSW team of this year (with a couple of exceptions) all watched the Maroons dominate the Blues and they are now out for revenge and some of the guys knocking on the door now have the same mentality.
I think this will be comparable to the Australian cricket team post Ponting, McGrath, Lee, Hayden, Warne, et al. or the Australian swimming team post Klim, Hackett, Huegill, Thorpe, et al. The next generation will have a bit of an entitled mindset. They may think they merely have to turn up to do what their predecessors did. Not sure if those who had some experience during the elite years will be advantaged or disadvantaged by this.

King hit

Coach
t.

With this generation, I fear it could be worse and the next series could be a blow-out if some of these Maroons players don't come of age. The Blues have had the stronger team on paper since 2012 for mine, it was just when the game was there to be won, the senior players would find a way to win.

The Maroons don't have that going for them anymore, so something has got to give.

Really you really thought the Blues of 2015 for example were stronger on paper than the Maroons

Dugan V Slater (Slater)
Hopoate V Boyd (Boyd)
J.Morris V Inglis (Inglis, but Morris ahead of Chambers)
Jennings V Hodges (Could give Jennings this one)
B.Morris V Chambers/Gagai (B.Morris)
Pearce V Thurston (Thurston)
Hodkinson V Cronk (Cronk)
Woods V Scott (Scott)
Farah V Smith (Smith)
Tamou V Myles (Myles)
Scott V Guerra (Scott)
Hoffman V Thiaday (Hoffman)
Gallen V Parker (Gallen but only just)

The Maroons spine always made them stronger than the Blues imo.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Yep, now that they've got the monkey off their backs, I can see them blowing the Maroons away next series. It's up to this generation of Maroons talent to show some ticker.

There aren't a lot of quality leaders floating around the game anymore. Cameron Smith, Paul Gallen and Mat Scott aren't far off from retirement and the rest of the crop aren't that great. The only players who look likely moving forward (outside GI) are Tuivasa-Sheck, Widdop & Cordner.

The rest just haven't stepped up yet.

Ponga is a leader of the future. Kid has such a level head it is just obvious. But agree he needs a few years under the belt first..

Pedge1971

First Grade
I think this will be comparable to the Australian cricket team post Ponting, McGrath, Lee, Hayden, Warne, et al. or the Australian swimming team post Klim, Hackett, Huegill, Thorpe, et al. The next generation will have a bit of an entitled mindset. They may think they merely have to turn up to do what their predecessors did. Not sure if those who had some experience during the elite years will be advantaged or disadvantaged by this.

You reckon? I think the only positional issue for the Aust team is halfback. Cleary seems most obvious but his origin showing was more competent than great. The middle fwd depth will be tested at times but should at least gain parity

I cannot see England and NZ consistently getting the better of us but they will win a few as they have historically done.

Tedesco, Ponga, Munster, Morgan will have us more than covered for the next 10 years at fb and 5/8, and Mitchell, Tom T, Holmes, Roberts, Ramien, Curtis Scott etc will keep the outside back positions filled with quality similarly.

firechild

First Grade
You reckon? I think the only positional issue for the Aust team is halfback. Cleary seems most obvious but his origin showing was more competent than great. The middle fwd depth will be tested at times but should at least gain parity

I cannot see England and NZ consistently getting the better of us but they will win a few as they have historically done.

Tedesco, Ponga, Munster, Morgan will have us more than covered for the next 10 years at fb and 5/8, and Mitchell, Tom T, Holmes, Roberts, Ramien, Curtis Scott etc will keep the outside back positions filled with quality similarly.
Sorry, my post was in response to the comments regarding QLD. I don't think there will be any significant impact on the national team at all.

Big Pete

Referee
Really you really thought the Blues of 2015 for example were stronger on paper than the Maroons

Dugan V Slater (Slater)
Hopoate V Boyd (Boyd)
J.Morris V Inglis (Inglis, but Morris ahead of Chambers)
Jennings V Hodges (Could give Jennings this one)
B.Morris V Chambers/Gagai (B.Morris)
Pearce V Thurston (Thurston)
Hodkinson V Cronk (Cronk)
Woods V Scott (Scott)
Farah V Smith (Smith)
Tamou V Myles (Myles)
Scott V Guerra (Scott)
Hoffman V Thiaday (Hoffman)
Gallen V Parker (Gallen but only just)

The Maroons spine always made them stronger than the Blues imo.

There were a few exceptions, but in general I thought the Blues had the stronger pack and weren't far off in key positions. There were a few series like 2015 where they tried to play too defensive and it cost them, but there were a few where they had Queensland in serious trouble only for the senior players to lead the way.

Ponga is a leader of the future. Kid has such a level head it is just obvious. But agree he needs a few years under the belt first..

I agree. I see him in a similar position as Slater & Smith in the early to mid '00s. A genuine superstar who lives for the big moments but he's still learning. It's going to take some time for players of his generation to catch up and for the Clifford's and the Carrigan's and the Fifita's etc. to be ready.

Latest posts