What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Greatest Grand Final Team

Big Pete

Referee
Official Side

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Mick Hancock
3. Chris Johns
4. Steve Renouf
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Kevin Walters
7. Allan Langer (captain)
8. Shane Webcke
9. Kerrod Walters
10. Glenn Lazarus
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Brad Thorn
13. Tonie Carroll
Coach: Wayne Bennett

082911-broncos-greatest-grand-final-team.jpg

Big Pete

Referee
What a team that would have been.

To have the class of Lockyer back at fullback, the combination of Walters/Langer at the scrumbase and Kerrod causing nightmares from dummy half.

Imagine the forward momentum of Webby, Lazo and Thorn carting it up all day? If ever the team needed motivation of course Gordie would be there alongside TC trying to lift the boys.

How about that backline? I'm sure even Wayne couldn't contain his excitement as he saw these guys rip and tear through even the slightest hint of weakness.

No doubt about it, we've been blessed to have so many out and out superstars wear our jersey. This has been a tough season but on the bright-side it really does make me appreciate all those memories we've had.

Bretto

Bench
No doubt, Pete.

We've been such a great side for so long, with so many legends to be born and created in our club. These times we're currently experiencing are just a speed bump in the time line of success.

Mr Saab

Referee
Not a single current player made it and the team was unveiled by Wayne.

Interesting...

Who would make it from the current team? Parker / Hannant / Hodges / Thaiday only played in one GF....and not one of them would displace anyone in that GF team where each player was involved in a minimum of two GF.

Dazzat

First Grade
Brad Thorn ... the man with the Midas touch with an amazing record.

Grand final wins for the Broncos in 1997, 1998 and 2000. Then came back in 2006 to win the grand final again.

Won the Super 14 in 2008 with the Crusaders, three tri-nations with NZ and then the World Cup in 2011.

Even last year, his team in Europe won the Heineken Cup.

Can we sign up for next year?

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty much Saab.

Hodges vs. Johns would have been interesting IF Hodges had have played centre in the 06 GF but since he was our fullback (a very handy one too) he doesn't qualify.

The rest did their jobs but weren't stand outs.

On the topic of players who missed out...

I reckon Darren Smith was unlucky to miss out on the right centre position. Was one of our best on field in both 97 & 98. He was named at lock in 97 but if anybody pops in their DVD they'd notice he was actually playing right centre.

DeeJ

Bench
Brad Thorn ... the man with the Midas touch with an amazing record.

Grand final wins for the Broncos in 1997, 1998 and 2000. Then came back in 2006 to win the grand final again.

Won the Super 14 in 2008 with the Crusaders, three tri-nations with NZ and then the World Cup in 2011.

Even last year, his team in Europe won the Heineken Cup.

Can we sign up for next year?

Next year he will be playing for the Highlanders in the Super Rugby at the age of 39.

Dazzat

First Grade
Have to agree there BP. I would've had Smith there over Johns. I reckon Willie Carne is unlucky too.

If there was a bench, Darren Smith would definitely be on there. A truly versatile player who played centre or in the back row equally well. Darren Smith was one of those players who you knew would play well EVERY game.

If there was a bench, Shaun Berrigan would also be on there - the most versatile player ever IMO.

icewind

Juniors
What would your bench be? I reckon D.Smith instead of Johns at right centre. Carne very unlucky.

14. Berrigan
15. Civeniceva
16. Gilmeister
17. Gee/Parker/Thaiday??

Dazzat

First Grade
I would have Darren Smith over Johns also
No mention of Lote?

Totally agree about Darren Smith being better than Johns.

Johns lived off the Langer/Walters/Matterson combination and was very over-rated IMO. Good defensively though.

DeeJ

Bench
Hodges vs. Johns would have been interesting IF Hodges had have played centre in the 06 GF but since he was our fullback (a very handy one too) he doesn't qualify.

It's ok, the portrait of 'Chris Johns' seems to be some kind of Johns/Hodges hybrid. So in a way he snuck in there.

164236_10151725407914631_1560644225_n.jpg