What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos, King of the Whingers

skeepe

Immortal
After all the crap the Raiders fans have copped for complaining about a dreadful refereeing decision (well several) I thought it was ironic that the biggest whingers after the match were the Broncos.

-------------------------
Lockyer escapes jaw injury
By Steve Ricketts
August 2, 2005

BRISBANE Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen says skipper Darren Lockyer is lucky not to have a broken jaw from a tackle which will cost 115kg Canberra prop Ben Cross just one week on the sidelines.

Cullen yesterday described the tackle as "a classic head high" and said Lockyer had been in a bad way after the match.

"It was a struggle for him just to move," Cullen said. "It (the tackle) was a jaw-breaker but it didn't actually break the jaw. It wasn't 'late, late' but it was late and high, and Locky copped the full force of the forearm to the jaw."

Lockyer said yesterday he had not seen a replay of the tackle and did not remember much about it.

He said his jaw was still sore but he would be fit to play against Manly at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.

Canberra, meanwhile, may seek a downgrading of the careless high tackle (grade two) charge against Cross which would still see him miss a match but leave him with fewer carryover demerit points.

The Raiders are set to accept an early guilty plea on behalf of winger Craig Frawley, who will not miss a match for a grade-one dangerous throw on Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt.

Cullen said he could not understand how the Frawley tackle was viewed in the same light as a tackle by Broncos Justin Hodges and Corey Parker last week, where both players pulled out of the tackle when they realised they had the attacker in a dangerous position.

"Craig drove Karmichael into the ground. That has to be worse than letting the player go," Cullen said.

Broncos Shaun Berrigan and Shane Webcke were excused from yesterday's field training session because of their heavy workload, while Scott Minto (knee) and David Stagg (university studies) also were absent.
Centre Brent Tate retired early to have his suspect ankle treated but he is not in doubt for the Manly match where he will return to the wing to make way for Hodges who is back from suspension. Lock Tonie Carroll trained strongly after overcoming a bout of flu.

Manly coach Des Hasler will meet referees boss Robert Finch and referee Steve Clark today to air grievances over Clark's handling of Sunday's 24-22 loss to the Cowboys at Brookvale Oval.

The Courier-Mail
---------------

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16125358-23214,00.html

Cry me a river, Cullen.

Mr Saab

Referee
it was a bad high tackle.
Cleanched fist was the classicc giveaway.
All those Raiders supporters that whinged about spear tackles...well Frawley was not given a week for his charge was he!!
Didnt try once to lift him...tried twice!

aids

Bench
brisbane are news limited love children, opinions stated by anyone assiociated with the broncos will be treated as fact.

Monday:hi i'm Shane Webcke, i shouldn't have even been cited for pile driving webster.
Thursday(after getting awarning): hi i'm Shane Webcke, and i shpuld have been given a few weeks for dropping that storm kid on his head, but what are you going to do about it.

woodgers

Bench
I would zip it Charlie. Last year's Suncorp game saw Mark McLinden taken out late and high on about 3 occasions by 'La Porchetta' Carroll. McLinden was badly injured and Carroll suspended for a few weeks.

Mr Saab

Referee
woodgers...who gives a F what happened in 2004. TC was dealt with and given a 3 game ban.
It would be you raiders fans that should zip it...Frawley was given 93 points for trying to pick someone up TWICE and the other clown was given a week for a stiff arm!

lotm

Juniors
i agree with charlie. the high tackle was fairly bad and frawley got off lightly with only a grade one.

i disagree with cullen, however, that cross' tackle was a deliberate attempt to take lockyer out, or that frawley drove hunt into the ground. cross' tackle was accidental and frawley let go of hunt after his second lifting attempt.

woodgers

Bench
What about Brad Thorn using a stiff arm twice in the one tackle on Adamson's head? Is the rule different because the player is defenceless on the ground? It is hard to prove Cross had intent, Thorn has no arguement but still didn't get charged.

I'm not disputing the Frawley one besides that as I said to Broncos fans on Sunday, ripping in about someone getting off a spear tackle after the Webcke/Webster incident is about as rich as it comes. Are you suggest that a Raider got a low grading for once?

Mr Saab

Referee
thorn came down in a tackle with his forearm...i thought he could have been charged, but wasnt. Still, it wasnt as bad as Cross' "attempt" at tackle. Who tackles with a stiff arm finch CLENCHED?

skeepe

Immortal
Who drops a forearm to the head of a defenceless player? Who then knees that player in the head next time he takes a hit-up. Brad the thug Thorn, that's who.

taxidriver

Coach
careful fella's, don't give the Broncs too much of a hard time, they may chuck a tanty and go off and form their own comp.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Canberra and Brisbane take the title of equal biggest whingers in the comp. Whinging about each other... can it get anyworse.

Kiwi

First Grade
Dammed if we say something, dammed if we don't.

All the Broncos bashing over the Webcke's and the Hodges/Parker tackles, there is a worse one done by the Raiders and not a word said. Apparently Webcke could have ended someones career or put someone in a wheel chair, but Frawley and Mogg's tackle goes by without comment and seems to be widely accepted on here.

Lockyer gets taken out deliberately late and high with a clenched fist stiff arm, and everything is fine, it was the Raiders who were hard done by.

Legend found it hard to swallow Thorn's forearm to Adamson, he should have choked on the two Raider incidents.

Whats come from this game is a f**king joke, people don't care about the rules till it suits them.

tyniej

Juniors
this sort of crap happens all over in all the games. we just don't see it all the time. slater niggles at players every tackle he makes, with a bit of a grapple or a couple of pushes with the knees as players get up to play the ball, as does hodges, kimmorely. the list could go on with only a few players in the nrl not getting their name on the list. players do go in with intent, its stupid to think they dont. its a contact sport where most of the time your trying to stop a 100kg+ superfit athlete in his tracks. sometimes the intent spills over (hoppa) and thats not good. the best players have controlled agression/intent. the review committee have consistancy issues and we all just have to cop it until they work it out. it sucks but what can we do?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kiwi said:
Dammed if we say something, dammed if we don't.

All the Broncos bashing over the Webcke's and the Hodges/Parker tackles, there is a worse one done by the Raiders and not a word said.

:lol: :lol:
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
WORSE THEN WEBCKE AND HODGES ONES!!!
OHH STOP IT! PLEASE KIWI! MY SIDES ARE HURTING!!!

:lol: :lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
i think it was equal...the fact that he had TWO goes at Hunt before he landed on his head.

Razor

Coach
The Webcke and Hodges ones were absolute shockers

Webcke should have gone for at least 5 weeks
Hodges should have gone for at least 9 weeks

Frawley deserved more than 1 week. Probably 3-4 weeks.

The way spear tackles are treated is wrong. They should be treated extremely harshly, whether intentional or not. Even if it's accidental if someone ends up in a wheelchair the person who did it can't just say "Oh well. Too bad if he ended up paralysed for life. I didn't mean to do it so shouldn't be punished"

Mr Saab

Referee
razor...i dont know if you are fishing, but 9 weeks and 5 weeks? you are a goose and a half.