What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos laugh off Bennet 'bid'

Broncos laugh off Roosters Bennett 'bid'

Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 5:20 PM
Bruno Cullen isn't sure which is the more amusing: Wayne Bennett being targeted by the Roosters or the Broncos coach receiving a $2.4 million offer weeks after critics called for his head.
Brisbane managing director Cullen has laughed off a News Ltd report the Roosters were sizing up Bennett to replace the axed Ricky Stuart on a huge three-year deal.
Roosters officials were also laughing at the figures bandied around but wouldn't confirm or deny the interest that made back-page news in Sydney and Brisbane.
Enjoying his weekly day off on his Warwick farm, Bennett was unavailable for comment but Cullen did the speaking for him, believing the story came "out of thin air".
"It came completely out of the blue," he said. "I was a little bit surprised when I was having my wheat bikkies this morning and opened up the back page of the paper.
"I enjoyed it. I had a laugh.
"It's not a bad back-page fish and chip wrapper tomorrow."
Cullen listed a string of reasons why he was confident Bennett would see out a four-year contract ending in 2009 rather than move to a club that has been a bitter rival under the coaching of Stuart and Phil Gould.
"His love of the place, his desire to make the Broncos successful again, to celebrate 20 years as a coach here next year, the list goes on," he said.
"He's been (at the Broncos) from the birth of the club right through to where it is today and 20 years has been so successful for him."
Cullen admitted the reported contract was well above his salary at the Broncos, but also indicated Bennett was a man who would be unwilling to uproot his family, which includes two children with disabilities.
The news comes when the five-time premiership coach's reputation has been restored through three straight convincing wins leading into the NRL finals.
"We've just got to keep reminding people we've just got to our 15th finals series in a row which no other club has even got close to doing," he said.
"Three or four weeks ago everyone was calling for his head and now he's got a multi-million dollar contract supposedly thrown in front of him - so funny world.
"Like any good employer or any good performer they might be on somebody's wish list but a lot of those times those wish lists don't go any further than a name on paper."
Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan wouldn't comment about interest in Bennett, the latest in a string of coaches linked to the Bondi Junction club.
"The information will be kept in-house and we will neither confirm or deny speculation regarding the coaching position," Canavan said.
The Broncos expect Saturday night's qualifying final against St George Illawarra to be a sell-out with almost 50,000 Suncorp Stadium seats already taken

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
while i was watching nrl deluxe on bigpond live just now, they brought up this news and brad fittler seemed to hide something... its kinda worrying cause i don't want bennett to leave... in the end it all comes down to bennetts decision, but i really hope this is all just a false rumour and bennett does not leave... bennett could not do worse then to go to the roosters!!

LRC

Roosters and anybody involved will not confirm or deny anything or any speculations...this will suit the telegraph and any dumb ass who reads it, as they can make up a new story every week.
I would not take anything as reality until it actually happens.

I could not see Bennett living in sydney coaching anybody.

However he would be ideal for the roosters as they have a heap of kids who have played a only a handful of first grade games and he is a good mentor.

salivor

First Grade
If Bennett gets the arse at the Broncos (which IMO, he's not going to see out his contract) then I think we'll see him throw in coaching, can't see him at another club and it'll be a cold day in hell when he's at the Roosters.

adamkungl

Immortal
Can't see it happening. As much as i'd like it to, it sounds like Telegraph BS to me.

innsaneink

Referee
I dunno if Bennett COULD coach at another club....like older people get set in their ways etc, he basically has the run of the joint at the Broncs, its his....cant see him going somewhere else

Knightmare

Coach
"We've just got to keep reminding people we've just got to our 15th finals series in a row which no other club has even got close to doing," he said.

Yet another example of the self-indulgent wankfest known as 'Bronco worship'. For the record, St George made the semis 23 years straight, including the days when only 4 teams progressed to the finals.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
Knightmare said:

Yet another example of the self-indulgent wankfest known as 'Bronco worship'. For the record, St George made the semis 23 years straight, including the days when only 4 teams progressed to the finals.

any team that's been in the finals more than 15 years straight in recent times where the competition is much more tighter??

didn't think so...

TehRenegade

Juniors
i'd be shocked if he went but i wouldn't blame him

he's done everything he can with brisbane. One last big paycheque and a chance to prove to everyone he can coach out of his comfort zone.

Charlie124

First Grade
and to prove he can coach a team that doesnt have 12 rep players in it.

like everyone is saying, i cant see it happening but geez ill have a good laugh if it does.

Leagueguy

Juniors
I just saw Bennett being interviewed on Fox News but I didn't catch what he said about coaching at the Roosters. Did anyone hear it?

Leagueguy

Juniors
Why doesn't Bennett just say no I'm not going to do it and put all this stuff aside. It can't be helping the team.

Bennett won't kill off Roosters talk

Advertisement

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett has failed to kill off speculation linking him with a reported $2.4 million move to the Sydney Roosters next season.

With the media throng salivating at the prospect of a big story, Bennett instead issued a "no comment" to a packed press conference.

"I've got no more to say," he said, in response to a question about speculation he had been headhunted to replaced Ricky Stuart at the Roosters.

His response did not kill off rumours of a reported $2.4 million three-year package by the Roosters to end his 19-year rule at the Broncos.

"I made a statement yesterday and nothing has changed since then," said Bennett.

"I've got no more to add today."

Bennett yesterday responded to the reports by saying: "I'm not going to comment on speculation, I've got a contract here (Brisbane) until 2009.

"If I ever think it's time to go, I can go and if Bruno Cullen (Broncos Chief Executive) ever feels it's time for me to go, he can cut me."

There was a prank at Broncos training today by Brisbane forward Tonie Carroll which appeared to get under Bennett's skin.

Carroll held a Sydney Roosters shirt up behind Bennett during the press conference, much to the agitation of the veteran coach.

Asked near the end of an interview about Saturday night's big qualifying final and whether Carroll would be relegated to the bench, a stern-faced Bennett said: "I didn't see who that was but whoever it was, they've got the idiot of the week award."

Bennett had the perfect opportunity to put his transfer talk to bed today, but he was non-committal, raising an element of doubt in some people's mind.

"I'm more chance of riding the winner of this year's Melbourne Cup than Bennett is of coaching the Roosters," quipped one Brisbane rugby league writer.

Cullen agreed the scribe had more chance of winning Australia's great horse race than Bennett did of coaching the Roosters where his arch-enemy Phil Gould still had some influence.

Cullen refused to be drawn into how the Broncos would react if the offer turned out to be more than rumour.

"I'm not going there," Cullen told AAP.

"The more I talk about it, the more it gives those people satisfaction."

Cullen was not surprised the story was out again today.

"I know what newspapers do, they're looking for a story," he said.

"They think they've got one and they're pushing, they're not too interested about the truth or the facts."

Cullen conceded it could be an attempt to destabilise the Broncos heading into the finals but doubted that was the case.

"It could be, it's not something we're worried about, we're treating it as a bit of a joke up here," he said.

"I haven't spoken to Wayne about it.

"If I was concerned I would have spoken to him a few days ago."

The Roosters were sticking firm and not commenting on the Bennett speculation despite newspaper reports quoting "sources" close to the club who lent support to the approach.

innsaneink

Referee
Tony Carroll holding up a Rooster shirt behind Bennett when hes being interviewd....:lol:

There was a prank at Broncos training today by Brisbane forward Tonie Carroll which appeared to get under Bennett's skin.
Carroll held a Sydney Roosters shirt up behind Bennett during the press conference, much to the agitation of the veteran coach.
Asked near the end of an interview about Saturday night's big qualifying final and whether Carroll would be relegated to the bench, a stern-faced Bennett said: "I didn't see who that was but whoever it was, they've got the idiot of the week award."
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...f-Roosters-talk/2006/09/08/1157222317043.html

Latest posts