What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos R19 in Brisbane.

maestro1

Bench
I think our forwards, led by JDB and Su'a laid a great platform by rolling upfield with power and super quick play the balls. Each quick play the ball made the next runner's job so much easier. The backs got the roll upfield started and then the forwards continued it. Our play the ball was so much quicker in their 20 which made it hard for the Broncs to set their line and meant we scored more tries. Compare this to the Roosters game where our play the balls were snail like and the Roosters defended us easily. I hate to say it but it isn't a coincidence our roll up field and play the ball speeds are so much quicker whenever Lawrie is not on the field. It was so good to not see Lawrie wasting 2 play the balls per set in the opposition 20.

Old Timer

Coach
Without trying to get into arguments my take away's

+'S
1. Winning against them is always pleasurable.
2. Side runs more cohesively without Hunt.
3. Backs scoring tries validates point 2.
4. No Lawrie meant better options in their 20.
5. Sloan successfully caught bombs again.
6. Convincing 1st half effort.

-'S
1. Eisenhuth very good against big bodies but a lack of mobility badly exposed by small, nimble players in the middle of the paddock. If Penrith are at full strength they will easily capitalise against him.
2. Forwards again failed to go on with the job and were out-muscled badly in the 2nd half. Sure the ref and all that but we were poor. Older bodies do fatigue easier and for longer.
3. Sloan defence issues exploited far too easily.
4 Sloan is not involved nearly enough in attack and needs to expand this aspect of his game. Catching bombs is not enough on its own.
5. Heads started to drop as the Bronco's got on a role and we failed to find a way to swing the momentum back (passive leadership issue probably)
6. We failed to utilise Rava on the right side as we concentrated on the left but variety would have helped as would Feagai learning to pass when he should.
7. C T was really strong when close but pulled up quickly in open space and that is not good.
8. Very unconvincing 2nd half effort.

Illusion

Bench

+'S

-'S
1. Eisenhuth very good against big bodies but a lack of mobility badly exposed by small, nimble players in the middle of the paddock. If Penrith are at full strength they will easily capitalise against him.
2. Forwards again failed to go on with the job and were out-muscled badly in the 2nd half. Sure the ref and all that but we were poor. Older bodies do fatigue easier and for longer.
4 Sloan is not involved nearly enough in attack and needs to expand this aspect of his game. Catching bombs is not enough on its own.
5. Heads started to drop as the Bronco's got on a role and we failed to find a way to swing the momentum back (passive leadership issue probably)
6. We failed to utilise Rava on the right side as we concentrated on the left but variety would have helped as would Feagai learning to pass when he should.
7. C T was really strong when close but pulled up quickly in open space and that is not good.
Could not have said it any better ........ Exactly this .........

since77

Juniors
Yep this is a big one. After roster fixup issues this is the biggest task Flanno faces if he wants to turn us into a top 8 side.
We are so mentally weak as a collective and unable to wrestle back momentum when things go against us. The referee certainly gave the Broncos a leg up in the second half but we need to be better when the chips are down.
Also the bombed tries are starting to add up over the last month or so. We're creating opportunities but stuffing them up. Can't do this. Max F should have scored this week and that probably breaks the back of the Broncos.
Go all the way back to the Cowboys game and RFM bombs a certain try and I'm sure that game goes differently too.
We allow far too many turning points in games where we invite the opposition back in.

kit66

Bench
With this game, it was noticeable how much better the Dragons attack looked with Jesse Marschke playing more a traditional halfback/first receiver role - organising the side and being willing to take the line on himself and run the ball. The Dragons looked far sharper as it enabled Kyle Flanagan to not have to worry about doing the organising, which is not his strongest attribute in my opinion.

I thought Kyle did a lot of organizing, very busy pointing and telling the boys what to do and urging them to push up, it was very noticeable. He did work well with Marschke but I like the combo he's starting to form with Hunt too, it's starting to gel, just needs Hunt to be more sharing.

possm

Coach

+'S

-'S
We need a new defensive coach and a big pair of bookends.

possm

Coach
I thought Kyle did a lot of organizing, very busy pointing and telling the boys what to do and urging them to push up, it was very noticeable. He did work well with Marschke but I like the combo he's starting to form with Hunt too, it's starting to gel, just needs Hunt to be more sharing.
Given that Hunt won't play at 9 (Cook arriving in 2025), maybe Hunt to a running 6 and K Flanno to an organising 7.

Old Timer

Coach
K F has a good feel for the game and the situation but alas lacks pace and assuredness (probably a hang over from being badly handled at the Chooks)

He is so close to being a better than good player but I am sure that the Sharks, Chooks & Dogs all knew his shortcomings though and whilst few they would always hold them back so they moved on.

The issue with Hunt is he makes his halves partner, ball players and everybody else flat footed and if you lack pace you will ultimately get hammered when he dishes the ball off to you.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Just to mention, Flanno was on MMM on sunday, he mentioned (upon being asked) that they wont be taking the bye week off, instead they will train tuesday & thursday.

He said that they wont be taking the foot off the accelerator now... they will be pushing it down instead, as they make this final run towards the seasons end.

BLM01

First Grade
I noticed that on the replay, quick hands and Rav would have been odds on to barge over. Rav try disallowed (bs), Feagai fails to pass to Rav, Feagai drops a sitter, JDB gets over line but can't ground the ball. Every week, missed opportunities.
Yo be fair every team could say that but we do have difficulty at times finding that last pass to a support player if said support player is in the picture at the right time which is another issue

Lovemedragons

Juniors

+'S

-'S
After such a domination of the first 50 minutes they should never have let their forwards take control in the last 30. I was surprised the Broncos forwards were able to rise in the 2nd half after being smashed till then but the referee helped by only refereeing one side on the 10m in the 2nd half and some timely odd penalties and seemingly random set restarts against us.

TheRev

First Grade
The way Mam was picking us apart in the 2nd half actually made me nervous because it might be exposing the consequences of running 4 tanks for outside backs.. i.e. if you kick behind... they cant turn and chase..

Sloan is really our only speed to clean that stuff up, but he cant cover everywhere... and if we were to run say Lomax or Allen at fullback.. thats 5 tanks.

maestro1

Bench
Yep this is a big one. After roster fixup issues this is the biggest task Flanno faces if he wants to turn us into a top 8 side.
We are so mentally weak as a collective and unable to wrestle back momentum when things go against us. The referee certainly gave the Broncos a leg up in the second half but we need to be better when the chips are down.
Also the bombed tries are starting to add up over the last month or so. We're creating opportunities but stuffing them up. Can't do this. Max F should have scored this week and that probably breaks the back of the Broncos.
Go all the way back to the Cowboys game and RFM bombs a certain try and I'm sure that game goes differently too.
We allow far too many turning points in games where we invite the opposition back in.
Dragons wrestled momentum back when the dragged player into touch. The ref inexplicably penalised them and undone it.

Sloan is not involved nearly enough in attack and needs to expand this aspect of his game.
Was last year but teams are heavily marking him now as they know how dangerous he can be if given any space. He still sniffs round the ball carrier but does not always get the leather. Like to see him slip into dummy half more and try to catch the markers napping. But he needs strong go forward for that.

Last edited:

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Was last year but teams are heavily marking him now as they know how dangerous he can be if given any space. He still sniffs round the ball carrier but does not always get the leather. Like to see him slip into dummy half more and try to catch the markers napping. But he needs strong go forward for that.
Agreed. I think they need to create a few more trick plays for him as well

sammymills

Juniors
What was good about this year was we won both our games in the origin period, both away and against last years Grand finalists. Without Hunt and missing other players. It shows that the other boys in the team have really lifted their game. Who knew Moses Suli could actually pass a ball? hes been phenomenal this year.